Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 02 Accord & '12 535xi
Car Cover?

Iím debating purchasing a car cover . The car will stay in the garage 4-5 days a week, possibly a bit more during the first winter. Itís a two car garage, but am concerned about my boys and stray neighbor kids walking too close with bikes, toys, bats, etc. Iíve read that covers should be able to allow air in and can cause micro-scratches, especially with a lot of use. At this point Iím leaning towards taking my chances with any micro-scratches from the cover verses big ones from any rug rats. Looking at http://calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx#dustop Pleased to hear your thoughts, experiences, and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

2012 535xi DG II, Blk nappa lthr, Prem sound, CWP, Head-up, Multi cont seats, Lux seats, Prem, & Tech.
Ads by Google
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
I wouldnt recommend it unless you plan to wash your car right before putting the cover on each week. Otherwise you are just scratching it up each time you put it on or take it off. Just ban any use of toys near your car and your problem is solved
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It's a tough call to leave this car outside, you gotta do what you gotta do. Scratches from a car cover can be polished out, from a bike handle, not so much. I think there are 3 ways to go here:
1. Budget cover that you can beat on, it's going to get nasty anyway, so think of it as a consumable. I bought one on sale for 70 bucks at autozone, made by Budge industries. It is warrantied for 10 years. After a year I returned it to the company and they sent me a brand new one for free. No limit to amount of replaceable covers. (same for Costco).
2. BMW cover for $239. Custom fit, not sure who makes it, but you know it will probably be decent but not top of the line, however, the fit will be excellent.
3. Custom cover from a place like CoverKing. Mid range to expensive covers range from 350/450/620. They are supposed to be top notch, but only 1 year warranty.

I would go for #1 or 2. A car cover gets nasty, I mean really nasty. there are bugs, tree sap, bird $hit, road grime, etc. No matter how expensive the cover, it's going to ultimately get fooked up. I think it's better to get a cheaper cover and keep replacing it, then trying to get the rolls royce of covers and trying to make it last.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
I bought a car cover from calcarcover.com and it is working great. I shake it every few days to limit dirt accumulation since I park outside at work. I agree with TJ that car cover scratches are lesser of two evils, and they practically always come out with wax.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks all!

2012 535xi DG II, Blk nappa lthr, Prem sound, CWP, Head-up, Multi cont seats, Lux seats, Prem, & Tech.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDraper View Post
I'm debating purchasing a car cover . The car will stay in the garage 4-5 days a week, possibly a bit more during the first winter. It's a two car garage, but am concerned about my boys and stray neighbor kids walking too close with bikes, toys, bats, etc. I've read that covers should be able to allow air in and can cause micro-scratches, especially with a lot of use. At this point I'm leaning towards taking my chances with any micro-scratches from the cover verses big ones from any rug rats. Looking at http://calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx#dustop Pleased to hear your thoughts, experiences, and recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Way back when I had a 2001 Titanium Silver 330CI i put the BMW cover on it. It caused micro scratches everywhere and dulled the paint. I was able to polish them out but it was a lot of work. After that I threw away the cover. DGII will show these scratches much more than titanium silver.

In your case it may be lose-lose. Pick your poison.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 09-26-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Buy a cover to protect the car from the kids but not to keep the dust off your car - it's a pain to put on and take off every time you drive your car. I've used one for years on my sports car and it has not scratched the paint - at all. It's very soft and I make sure the car is very clean before I put it on.

I bought mine from an outfit called Big Sky Car Covers in Montana. The model I chose is called DUSTOP and it's super soft and very well made - it fits perfectly. I just looked up the cost for a F10 550i and it's $210 - not cheap but worth it IMO.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: honda civic
I have the BMW one. After a few days under the sun and rain, you got a neat checkered pattern of dust. Ended up putting a cheap tarp on top of that. A real pain to get in and out.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Think I made up my mind. A series of 2-3 orange traffic cones strategically positioned around the car while it's in the garage. Seriously.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDraper View Post
Think I made up my mind. A series of 2-3 orange traffic cones strategically positioned around the car while it's in the garage. Seriously.
what about a moat and a drawbridge?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
what about a moat and a drawbridge?
Now that would be ideal!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 m-sport 535xi
Just store it my garage my wife will take care of her! LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528i
Try AutoAnything.com:

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/10A50166.aspx

Full Disclosure: I work at this company, but the range of covers (and ability to compare) is much better than calcarcover.com.
(email newsletter signup at the bottom of the page yields a 10% off coupon)