Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
X3 Recall Update (Electric Power Steering)

Additional documents have been added to NHTSA's recall site. BMW should have all owner notifications out this month. All dealers should be fully informed by now about what to do.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...romPublic=true
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Thank you for the updated info!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Wow, everything they send out of the S.C. plant seems to be poor QC.

You figure after screwing of the X5 in the past years they would pay better attention with their new flagship SUV.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Evl, I doubt seriously that they consider the X3 to be a flagship anything. That title (if it means anything, and I doubt it does) for the X cars would probably go to their X6 Hybrid -- also built in SC -- or the X5M -- another Palmetto state product. The X3 one step up from the X1 and is sort of a mass market uprated "everyman's car" like the 3 series to them. Did you read that the new M3 will be getting a twin turbo six replacing the V8? Back to the future I guess.

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-15-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Evl, I doubt seriously that they consider the X3 to be a flagship anything. That title (if it means anything, and I doubt it does) for the X cars would probably go to their X6 Hybrid -- also built in SC -- or the X5M -- another Palmetto state product. The X3 one step up from the X1 and is sort of a mass market uprated "everyman's car" like the 3 series to them. Did you read that the new M3 will be getting a twin turbo six replacing the V8? Back to the future I guess.
As they are using it for their new number one seller sav and introducing the new M series engine with the X3 (that is the scuttle butt) that is why I was calling it that. Maybe a better term, but the fact that they (according to sources like AznM) have screwed up the X5 QC from SC, you would think they would be hyper vigilant on this.

All the more reason to hold onto my current model (which has been good to me) and use a wait and see approach especially if they throw this tri-turbo in it. I want faster and better.

But burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, etc......

I will ge ready for a new vehicle in another year or so, but not at the expense of being a guinea pig like I was with the 07 AT X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Well I guess a tri-turbo in a straight six is useful. I suspect a "Kompressor" (like our M-B friends like to call it) would probably do more but who knows. Back in the day I remember that a three pot manifold on my Jimmy 270 was better than a dual pot manifold. So maybe more IS better.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
I am based in the UK and have an X3 MSport 3.0d built in May 2011 - how do I find out if my car is affected by the recall - have vin numbers been published of the affected vehicles?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
Electric steering recal

Iam based in the UK and have an X3 MSport 3.0d built in May 2011 - how do I find out if my vehicle is subject to the recall - have the vin numbers of the affected vehicles been released by BMW?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: None
I've had this problem on my car and it was produced in the timeframe (early June), however it's never happened while driving just during morning startup. BMWNA says my VIN isn't under recall. I took it into the dealership and they want to do a software update to fix it rather than the recall instructions (replacing the EPS unit) - does anyone buy that? Is there a way for me to push for them to do the recall? I've mentioned the recall notice and asked the service adviser twice and he just says they need to stick with the "test plan" or whatever..
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforum View Post
I've had this problem on my car and it was produced in the timeframe (early June), however it's never happened while driving just during morning startup. BMWNA says my VIN isn't under recall. I took it into the dealership and they want to do a software update to fix it rather than the recall instructions (replacing the EPS unit) - does anyone buy that? Is there a way for me to push for them to do the recall? I've mentioned the recall notice and asked the service adviser twice and he just says they need to stick with the "test plan" or whatever..

Tell them you are thinking about starting the "lemon" plan and see what happens. It shouldn't be too far of a stretch for a lemon attorney (and they are free for you btw) to motivate them.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: None
It's being serviced a dealership I didn't purchase it (scheduling worked a lot better and somewhat closer), would they even care about lemon? Is there a intermediate step I could pursue (is there a special BMWNA department or person I can talk to) to have them fix the recall issue given it's the same darn symptom so common sense indicates they'll likely fix it (I doubt there really is a software update for power steering anyways). And is it normal that everything filters through the service adviser or can I request to speak to the mechanics? The SA just keeps saying the mechanics work hand in hand with BMWNA and will correct the issue don't worry it looks like just a software update blah blah (which can't be possibly true since there must be hundreds of cars with the same software but without the same issue)

I already reported to NHTSA but no contact from BMWNA yet..

Last edited by silverforum; 09-26-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Let's assume that you're right, and they're wrong. What's the harm in letting them work through what they think the problem is? BMW has identified exactly 51 vehicles worldwide that are known to have this recall problem. If your VIN isn't on the list then you're not covered by the recall. Let the local dealer try the software fix. If it works, all is good. If it doesn't then you've just helped BMW discover that perhaps their recall needs to be larger, and you're one step closer to potentially having your X3 lemoned if you decide to try that route. Work with the dealer. You're going to lose your X3 for a day (possibly more). Can you negotiate a BMW loaner?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: Ordering X3 35i
It just makes no logical sense - very very large batches of X3s ship with the exact same software version, so if it was defective it would have already been very widespread. I'm sure if I could talk to someone that actually thought about this rationally, in terms of how big the scope of the problem would be if the current theory was correct compared to the reported malfunctions and the coincidence that the recall primarily impacts the same week my car was produced it'd be a quick fix - that's all I want. They need to expand the recall so that it's open to any cars from that week that have steering problems and replace the EPS unit.

Last edited by bimmerrace; 09-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Huh? How many people currently have this problem? Is one person cross-posting under two names, or do two people have the identical problem?

You didn't negotiate a BMW loaner???
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Probably more than the fifty they noted, nope they said they were out
Like a previous poster said way back, I'm sure their "recall" was part of some type of settlement so they narrowed it as much as possible (and figured they'll deal with the rest through the warranty program). You like how they added one random car from Feb as effected after the initial first week of June filing, that's pretty suspect (who wants to bet they complained to the NHTSA). Anyways okay I'm calming down, even through I think this is an obvious safety problem.

Last edited by bimmerrace; 09-26-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 AM

If it is a safety problem then there will be a quick lemon law solution especially in CA.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Update, dealer now confirms software updates changes nothing (that or they figured out there was no update) and is going to try replacing the steering unit. They are also going to "research" the recall to see if that makes sense to do also/instead - they're finally listening after spinning wheels for four days on this update. Keep you guys posted.

Has offered to put me into a BMW loaner if it's not fixed by Saturday

Last edited by bimmerrace; 09-27-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerrace View Post
Update, dealer now confirms software updates changes nothing (that or they figured out there was no update) and is going to try replacing the steering unit. They are also going to "research" the recall to see if that makes sense to do also/instead - they're finally listening after spinning wheels for four days on this update. Keep you guys posted.

Has offered to put me into a BMW loaner if it's not fixed by Saturday
On a new vehicle? Should have been SOP to put you in a BMW loaner from the git go.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM

I actually called BMWNA and they said they have no policy or requirement that dealerships provide loaners. Initial ETA was 24 hour fix so I didn't push it when they said they didn't have one available at this time.

The BMW recall documents estimates 3 hours to replace the electrical steering unit - so its anyone's guess why it takes 72 hours to research a "software update" and another 72 hours to replace the electric steering unit but I just want my car back! They also "haven't had a chance" to look into the brake clunking issues that people have noted in a seperate thread here...

Update: they had the wrong part, so apparently it'll be another 3 days. So 10 days and counting at that point

Last edited by bimmerrace; 10-01-2011 at 08:29 PM.