Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Tri-state BMW dealer

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
Do you have a source for this? I understand the packaging efficiencies of FWD, but I don't see how it would make any difference at all with the efficient transfer of power.
i believe its the added mass of the longer driveshaft...might be wrong though
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I'm talking gas mileage more than anything else, fwd loses 28% hp from the flywheel to the wheels in a rwd the hp loss is 33%
This still makes no sense in an I6 vs I4 debate, AFAIK. Every single front-engined car would have lower parasitic drivetrain loss if it were FWD: I6, V6, V8, V12, you name it. Should those all be FWD too?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
This still makes no sense in an I6 vs I4 debate, AFAIK. Every single front-engined car would have lower parasitic drivetrain loss if it were FWD: I6, V6, V8, V12, you name it. Should those all be FWD too?
Who said they should all be FWD I'm not advocating FWD or RWD they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I'm a RWD advocate and always will be but I understand why BMW is making changes with the 4 cyl engine in the 5 series. I'm not happy with it and I will never buy one but I understand why they made the business decision.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I'm talking gas mileage more than anything else, fwd loses 28% hp from the flywheel to the wheels in a rwd the hp loss is 33%
huh? Where on earth are you getting crazy loss numbers like this? Even for chassis dyno numbers those figures are crazy high. In reality during normal driving conditions very little power is lost in the drivetrain. Between FWD and FWD I think it's a wash. FWD transverse transmissions have more complicated power routing and differential. RWD is a bit more simple, but has a long driveshaft going towards the back. The difference between the two might be measurable in a lab, but by the time you add all the other factors of the vehicle in I think it'd get lost in all of those other variables and not be measurable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
I recently read a post from a German owner who stated that nearly 80% of all 5 series in Europe are of the 4 cylinder variety (which is why de-badging is so popular on the Continent).
Yes most cars are de-badged over there, but I don't think it's because they're mostly 4-cylinders. I think the trend started because high-end vehicle owners didn't want to flaunt their wealth and de-badged, and then everybody else followed suit.

more pics here