Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 735
Unhappy 88 735 6 speed - insurance wants to junk it...

I have a 1988 735 six speed manual (which I know is rare here in US). I've been restoring it for some years now - it runs great - just rebuild the front end and was on the way for rear struts when hit.
Insurance accepts liability but won't pay the full amount estimated - $3400.
Damage it to the body panel between trunk lid and bumper. I believe the bumper is straight, just had its plastic mashed.
Since this is my main car which I use for work (only 200 miles per week) and since I want to keep the car, not salvage it, I need to show AAA that this vehicle is worth that amount of money.
I can't find any useful info on the net as of yet - last one for sale I found was in 1910 and guy wanted $9000 - probably a tad high
I saw another for about half that.

Can anyone steer me to a good valuation source for this car?

Thanks
jg
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 733i
If the accident was the other person's fault, you should keep the car at the auto body repair shop. Since the insurance company has to pay the shop a daily storage fee, they will be more likely to not screw around or waste time haggling over the price. In this case, the shop should try to get the best deal possible for you as long as you tell them what you are willing and not willing to accept. If the accident was your fault, then the previously mentioned option will not work and you can try the following: 1) Use the tax value of the vehicle or 2) Use Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, or Auto Trader and try to find your year and model vehicle with similar mileage. Judging from the date of your post, you probably have already resolved the problem but I just came across your post today and thought it would be good to still pass the information along. I hope things turned out to your liking.