Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i/2012 MercedesML
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320_aaron View Post
Actually my father in law is living in Korea, and this story is from there..
it's been 4 weeks, he is feeling bad and doesnt like the courtesy car(F10 5 series) anymore..

I found that the problem is happening (not sure it's exactly the same issue tho) on 2011 models..

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthre...ght=hesitation
Korea? I assuming he doesn't drive the car and has a driver..no? Most people in korea w high end cars have drivers that chaufeur them around. . This vibration issue is actually more intense for the passenger ...so I feel for your dad!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 750Li, 11 MDX, 04 MDX
I have not read all the posts; I am lurking here to learn more about the F01, I will be selling my '08 E66 in May 2014 and will likely move to an '11 F01 or '11 XJ8.

Anyhoo, has anyone tried "on the car balancing" of the wheels. I had a chronic issue with my 87 300E and a guy whose Alfa Milano Verde I was test driving told me about the same problem and "on the car balancing" solved his vibration. It balances the wheel, tire, rotor, hub, bearings, i.e. and rotatinal component relative to the wheel. I never had another problem and did not rotate ever again once the balance was perfect on my E. Rotation was not necessary with the 3.0 putting out only 177hp and 188ft.lb to the rear wheels.

On the car balancing will NOT solve a defective component like a driveshaft, U jount, etc.

2008 750 Li Alpine White/Creme
The economy will get worse before it gets worse.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I have not read all the posts; I am lurking here to learn more about the F01, I will be selling my '08 E66 in May 2014 and will likely move to an '11 F01 or '11 XJ8.

Anyhoo, has anyone tried "on the car balancing" of the wheels. I had a chronic issue with my 87 300E and a guy whose Alfa Milano Verde I was test driving told me about the same problem and "on the car balancing" solved his vibration. It balances the wheel, tire, rotor, hub, bearings, i.e. and rotatinal component relative to the wheel. I never had another problem and did not rotate ever again once the balance was perfect on my E. Rotation was not necessary with the 3.0 putting out only 177hp and 188ft.lb to the rear wheels.

On the car balancing will NOT solve a defective component like a driveshaft, U jount, etc.
Thanks for the tips. Hmmmm....you think that BMW would try whatever it takes to get rid of this vibration issue...hmmm.

Hey like your id btw II Kings 9:20...didn't know what bible verse that was so I had to look it up and it made me laugh
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 08 750Li, 11 MDX, 04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
Thanks for the tips. Hmmmm....you think that BMW would try whatever it takes to get rid of this vibration issue...hmmm.

Hey like your id btw II Kings 9:20...didn't know what bible verse that was so I had to look it up and it made me laugh
Thanks, I actually granny drive more these days than "driveth furiously or like a madman" especially if los ninos are with me.

I think you are still in warranty and BMW should do what it takes to solve the vibration. Over on the LS460 forum, they have a wind noise problem coming from poor adhesive at the triangle just ahead of the mirrore. Lexus has installed dual pane glass and other concoctions fo fix it without resolution. A forum member found the issue, detailed a simple cheap solution, aolved the problem and Lexus corporate policy is not to accept any outside ideas (similar to many companies to protect them from litigation from roaylty claims were a company to use your idea).

BMW needs to farm the job out to a specialty tire shop (not Sears or Costco). I don't think "road force balancing" is the same as "on the car balancing" but it may be. Again, driveshaft, bent wheel, etc won't correct with balancing of any kind.

2008 750 Li Alpine White/Creme
The economy will get worse before it gets worse.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Thanks, I actually granny drive more these days than "driveth furiously or like a madman" especially if los ninos are with me.

I think you are still in warranty and BMW should do what it takes to solve the vibration. Over on the LS460 forum, they have a wind noise problem coming from poor adhesive at the triangle just ahead of the mirrore. Lexus has installed dual pane glass and other concoctions fo fix it without resolution. A forum member found the issue, detailed a simple cheap solution, aolved the problem and Lexus corporate policy is not to accept any outside ideas (similar to many companies to protect them from litigation from roaylty claims were a company to use your idea).

BMW needs to farm the job out to a specialty tire shop (not Sears or Costco). I don't think "road force balancing" is the same as "on the car balancing" but it may be. Again, driveshaft, bent wheel, etc won't correct with balancing of any kind.
Granny drive? haha But good to have the horsepower just in case .

Thanks for the tips/info! Hopefully someone from BMW reads this. Yes the car is still under warranty .
Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: E46 320i
Case closed : story from Korea.

So, I was digging into this issue for a while, for my father-in-law's 09 750Li.
After 3 attempts to fix, months in the service facility, it looks like it's been solved.

I wanted to share this case with all bimmer fans/owners.

He was having vibrating/little sputtering issue especially on load, around 2000~or so rpm range. (about 100km/h of vehicle speed)

He complained, and put the car in, each time, it looked like that the problem is been solved, but it came on again in days for twice.
Third time, bmw guys assumed that it's from fuel injection, they tried hard to pick the one failing.
At the end, they couldn't pick just one out of 8, they just replaced all 8 injectors,
and,,

the symtom is gone!
(At least it's not on for weeks yet)
Finally, my father in law can drive his 7 with pride..

So, if you are having similar issue with others suffering, I am strongly recommend to take the car to the dealer and have them replace all the fuel injectors
EVEN IF there is no fault code.. Computor/Scanners cannot see through everything.
Don't let them go around until the warranty ends.
It's their responsibility to try everything they can do at whatever cost.
Especially for $200,000 car. (their asking price in Korea)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
Idle

I had a very similar problem with my 2011 750i......I noticed that idle dropped lower than usual when I got this vibration and that the idle would smooth out if I turned on the AC to raise the idle.

To make a long story short....on this car the dealer can program the idle under different scenarios such as when it's in gear, when it's in gear with the climate control on, etc. An idle adjustment solved my issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 730d 2009
Vibrations

Bcool, could you please post an update on your vibration issue. I have 730 d 2009 with same problem that you have been describing and it is not a tyre problem.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansig View Post
Bcool, could you please post an update on your vibration issue. I have 730 d 2009 with same problem that you have been describing and it is not a tyre problem.
Actually nothing to update b/c BMW is firm that it is normal ..... Really sorry to hear you having this issue
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
I just bought a certified pre-owned 2009 750Li with about 35k miles. It has the Pirelli run-flat tires. As soon as I left Houston and got up to highway speeds it was obvious I had alignment / balance issues. Round 1 at the BMW Austin dealership, and a balance / alignment seemed to help. However, at 60-65mph I still have enough vibration that its annoying. It is also more noisy at highway speeds than I expected from a car like this. My 2011 Ford Taurus was quieter. I don't think the noise and the vibration, however, are related problems but I'm not sure. After reading these posts, seems it could be a myriad of things and not sure where to start! I'm going to have it balanced one more time on Friday, and ask of they notice any bent rims etc. ill re-post as I find out.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
I suffered similar issues during the summer but they haven't returned but mind you I haven't driven my car for 2 months now. At first I thought it was the tires but my tires were brand new, I also noticed the shimmering when I hit 120 km's+, weird thing was anything over 120km's the shimmering disappeared. I'll let you know if I still have the issue next time I take my car on the highway.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
UNCBimmer7

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisjmwc1 View Post
I just bought a certified pre-owned 2009 750Li with about 35k miles. It has the Pirelli run-flat tires. As soon as I left Houston and got up to highway speeds it was obvious I had alignment / balance issues. Round 1 at the BMW Austin dealership, and a balance / alignment seemed to help. However, at 60-65mph I still have enough vibration that its annoying. It is also more noisy at highway speeds than I expected from a car like this. My 2011 Ford Taurus was quieter. I don't think the noise and the vibration, however, are related problems but I'm not sure. After reading these posts, seems it could be a myriad of things and not sure where to start! I'm going to have it balanced one more time on Friday, and ask of they notice any bent rims etc. ill re-post as I find out.
Did you get the Vibration fixed? How? My care start virating now between 55 to 70mph. I am trying to bring it to the dealer. If there is a fix, I can ask them to looking into that tip. Thanks
Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster Nappa, Camera pkg, Convenience pkg, Driver Assistance pkg, Lux Seating pkg, Premim sound pkg, 19 Wheels/Performance RFT, Leather Instrument Panel, NightVision, Head-up Display, Satellite Radio
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
Hi juanjf - sorry for the delay. I think there's a combination of possible problems, and I've fixed it (kinda!). First - I found out that I bought the car with bent rims. The dealership was good enough to trust me ( I bought it on a rainy day and just didn't do a thorough test drive). The second issue - just get rid of the run-flats. They make for a rough ride. I think the run-flats enabled car manufacturers to do away with the spare time and brag about cargo space in their marketing lit. I have replaced my rears with the cheapest tires that would fit and it improved drastically. I didn't want to throw away new-ish tires so I'm letting the front run out. Once they're ready to be changed - I'll definitely get back to regular tires. I have to wonder if the wall stiffness associated with run-flat tires transmitted the shock into the wheel and the rims absorbed that shock and bent.