Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Exclamation 01 740i - Front end shimmy

I replaced the thrust/traction arms and bushings about 20,000 miles ago, and now that notorious shimmy at about 45-55 mph is back... however is not constant. I have driven about 50 miles and it seems to get much better but still there lightly. When cold it seems to be worse than after driving for a bit. I have never replaced other suspension parts....i also have tire wear on the INSIDE edges of both front tires....can the center link being worn cause this on both sides???? any response is greatly appreciated. GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS on what you think is causing these problems....BTW, i had the car alignment done when i replaced the thrust arms/bushings....would it be that the alignment was done wrong?
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 00 e38, 95 e34, 94 e36
when is the last time you had it aligned and if so did you take it to the dealership? most alignment shops dont weight the car down like they are supposed to do, this could wear on other suspension parts as well due to being out of adjustment.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for your response! I had the car aligned at the local BMW dealer when i had this other work done. They told me today that i had to replace the tires before they could proceed with the alignment. I found out that the OTHER alignment shop where i just recently had it checked did NOT weigh the car down.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
I had a 01 740i that used to shimmy until the wheels heated up (my perception). After a few miles, it went away.

I did replace them with MXV-4's I think and was happy with the ride. They went about 40K miles and performed well so i've been partial to the Michelin product.

I sold the 740i when the tranny started to slam in to gear (around 80K miles). Loved the car, classiest 7 series and size I liked IMO. I just did not want to pay to have them tear it apart for a repair.

Got a Lexus 400h after that for my family car with newborn(s), but now waiting for my 2012 535ix GT to come in. GREAT deals out there for 535 and 550's right now if you are interested
Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 99 740il
mine did same thing i was told inner tie rod (aka center link)
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 00 e38, 95 e34, 94 e36
I am glad I was able to help you out, its funny. I have worked for BMW dealerships and at indy shops, the only thing I would ever take my BMW to the dealership for, if I wasnt a mechanic, is alignments. Other than that, find a good independent shop that doesnt bull **** you, they are hard to find, but worth it.

Last edited by SoCal740; 09-28-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your help....all of you!!!! I am taking it in to BMW for alignment check....BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD NOT DO ALIGNMENT UNTIL AFTER I REPLACED TIRES....i don't get that at all !!! IS THIS TRUE??? ONLY the inside is worn on the tires on both sides however right front is a but more worn than the driver's side. The rest of the tread is at 7/32. YOUR OPINIONS.....worn out centerlink??? Its hard for me to just go buy tires BEFORE i find the problem.....$$$$ AND not knowing where the problem lies, and the risk of putting a new wear pattern in the new tires....that don't make sense to me, please help!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:33 PM

OH YES, i had it aligned 2 years ago when i replaced the thrust arms/bushings. I have put 23k miles on it since then...two years ago almost to the day. I had it done at the dealership. ALSO, I KNOW that i have not hit anything at all. I am the only driver of this car as well. I did take it to have wheels balanced, not rotated as i have the staggered set up. They informed me that i had the LEFT front wheel just slightly bent, which i have not noticed until they told me about it. But it does give that 45-55 mph shimmy and then goes away as i go faster. When i slow down it re appears and while braking at that same 45=55 mph speed. Thanks again for you input!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Another thought....car has sports package which has a stiffer shock....could it be that shocks are worn? Car feels the same as always and does not bounce when i check it by pushing down on front end to see if car bounces.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Wolfe View Post
They informed me that i had the LEFT front wheel just slightly bent, which i have not noticed until they told me about it. But it does give that 45-55 mph shimmy and then goes away as i go faster.
I also experienced shimmy shake at around 55 mph with a E34 which I let it go before fixing the issue. At that time I did a lot of reading and looks like is a very common problem with the BMW's. The check list for it is :
-check balance on tires,
-check rims if bent (have them on the machine and check for an "oval distortion ") hard to find, but is there.
-check front control arms bushings
I have noticed that most of the guys out there, got away with changing the rims only. That apply for me too .I changed 2 tires and rotate the rims and the shake it was not so violent anymore but still there.
I would say that you issue is in the tires or rims, not the alignment. If tires are worn on the inside it could be an issue with some suspension parts as well. If they said rim is bent , again might be your issue.Have them checked or swap them with another , for a while. Spare wheel might help too.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
check this recent thread : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...943&highlight=