Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidan View Post
Thanks ZG!
I wonder if the crossover(or lack of) is contributing to my understeer problem?!?

Is there a hop up or anything that improves on the stock crossover?
Your cheap a$$ tires are likely your handling problem. No amount of suspension work will yield results if your tires have no grip. As you stiffen your body and suspension it puts more dependence on the tires to provide the performance improvement you want. You're spending all this time and work and all these different posts on suspension but you've still got those cheap Chinese aftermarket Sunnew and Sunny brand tires on the car I'll bet.
Ok, end of rant.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: T/A and a '97 328is
LOL! I totally appreciate your candidness. And your rant has not reached deaf ears.
I've been holding off on the tires till I can wear out the current rears (they are still brand new except for one strip on the outside which was the inside, before I rotated them, and resulted from the previous owner running too much negative in the rear).

If it is indeed the tires, then it will be a great learning experience that also allowed me to upgrade the rest of the suspension and note the effects each piece had in the process.

I'm a chronic over thinking/analyzer and a good cold glass of water tossed in my face from time to time is a good thing. LOL!

Last edited by Tidan; 10-03-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I've seen a braced up m3 (front strut brace, rear tower brace, and cross brace) where the owner put the oem jack in the front jack spot, and lifted the entire side of the car. The was hardly any flex in the thing at all.
I'm pretty sure I could do that with both of my E36s, neither of them were ///Ms, nor did they have any extra bracing at all .

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
When I do quick tire/wheel swaps (e.g. summer to winter tires), I raise one whole side of the car up using the rear jacking point. Saves a lot of time.

1998 BMW 328is Shooting Brake
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
225/35-r17 holy ****!!!
1998 323is "Blue car", 1995 325i "Bomber"
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidan View Post
LOL! I totally appreciate your candidness. And your rant has not reached deaf ears.
I've been holding off on the tires till I can wear out the current rears (they are still brand new except for one strip on the outside which was the inside, before I rotated them, and resulted from the previous owner running too much negative in the rear).

If it is indeed the tires, then it will be a great learning experience that also allowed me to upgrade the rest of the suspension and note the effects each piece had in the process.

I'm a chronic over thinking/analyzer and a good cold glass of water tossed in my face from time to time is a good thing. LOL!
Sorry for sounding harsh! I just saw you putting so much time and work into this and just had a gut feeling it was being wasted because of the tire issue. The only "mod" i have on my car's suspension are initial release (1" drop) Koni STR.T struts and STR.T rear shocks. The tires are Falken Ziex 912's and I have zero understeer and just a slight tendency for oversteer if I'm turning AND braking very hard simultaneously. Handling was exactly the same when I had Kumho Supra Ecsta tires. Like Karl and others have indicated this is what you should expect as the norm for an E36 if everything is right.