Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
transfer case replacement?

Fellow X3 owners,

Our 2011 X3 has gone through quite some repairs after wife hit the curb a month ago, two rims+wheels, front suspension, wheel bearing, :-(.

The car drives fine now except some minor vibration/noise when accelerating around 40 mph. Shop foreman couldn't notice it when he was in the car alone but then heard the sound after I ride with him. He suspected that the transfer case might be the cause but think it's still safe to drive.

I am kind of debating whether to replace the tc or not:

On the one hand, I felt the issue is kind of minor for now so probably not worth all the trouble to take things apart and install a new tc. In fact, I am afraid that doing so might cause some new problems as I felt it might be a relative rare job for a mechanic. So more likely to screw things up especially that it's the first year of F25 might make it even harder.

On the other hand, if I don't get it replaced now but down the road it became a lot worse, will my insurance still be responsible to pay for some of the repairing cost? I guess dealer will most likely not cover it under warranty by then as they will blame the hitting curb.

Your comments are truly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i xDrive, '11 X3
Fix now, don't wait. Get everything dealer says needs to be done so it is harder for them to blame the curb later.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1! Now, or sure as anything it will fail later and guess what -- no warranty because of the curb!