Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 525i 2003 Auto
Question SES light came on again after new MAF sonsor

Had 6 codes (system too lean, misfire detected etc..)
(Car was stalling when it was cold outside or when starting a car in the morning, I could also hear that engine wasn't running smoothly, even though I almost don't know anything about cars.)

Bought a cheap MAF sensor on ebay from "only_maf" seller or store.

SES light disappeared the next day day.

about 2-3 weeks passed by, SES light came on again.
(don't really remember the codes they (at the auto zone store) told me, but the codes were all related to ignition, and all started with a "P", the guy told me it might be oxygen sensors, bad spark plug or cables. (Spark plugs are about 1 year old). (I don't remember if the codes are the same that were before but this time I got 7 codes instead of six)

Can this be the MAF sensor going bad again?

Last edited by ensoniqts12; 10-08-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Your first mistake was to assume the MAF was the source of your problem. Why did you replace the MAF (that has nothing to do with your ignition system) when Autozone did not identify as a possible source of your problem? Randomly replacing parts is not a sound nor inexpensive methodology for repairing your car.

Your second mistake was to use a "cheap MAF sensor from eBay". You get what you pay for. The use of cheap aftermarket parts for critical engine or suspension functions is not recommended as their life expectancy can be short relative to OEM parts. Do a search of this forum and you will see that many others have had poor experiences with low cost replacement parts.

First thing you should do is rerun the codes. Then search this forum for possible reasons why you have these codes. You can also post back your codes and symptoms and I will guarantee that BlueBee will post up the links to threads that mirror your symptoms with fixes. This forum is an excellent collection of people who have had similar problems and been able to diagnose and fix their problems. You need to use it properly to maximize effectiveness. Please post back with your codes and we can help.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 525i 2003 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Your first mistake was to assume the MAF was the source of your problem. Why did you replace the MAF (that has nothing to do with your ignition system) when Autozone did not identify as a possible source of your problem? Randomly replacing parts is not a sound nor inexpensive methodology for repairing your car.

Your second mistake was to use a "cheap MAF sensor from eBay". You get what you pay for. The use of cheap aftermarket parts for critical engine or suspension functions is not recommended as their life expectancy can be short relative to OEM parts. Do a search of this forum and you will see that many others have had poor experiences with low cost replacement parts.

First thing you should do is rerun the codes. Then search this forum for possible reasons why you have these codes. You can also post back your codes and symptoms and I will guarantee that BlueBee will post up the links to threads that mirror your symptoms with fixes. This forum is an excellent collection of people who have had similar problems and been able to diagnose and fix their problems. You need to use it properly to maximize effectiveness. Please post back with your codes and we can help.
Yes, now I learned my lesson about buying cheap parts.

I searched the forums here before, with the codes I had than, (don't remember them anymore and lost the paper where i wrote them) and, changing the MAF sensor was one of the recommendations.

But after I put the new cheap MAF sensor, the second day SES light disappeared and stayed off for about 2-3 weeks. That is what makes me think that the MAF sensor was the problem.

Anyways, I'll I get the codes and post them here.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Investing in an inexpensive code reader is a good investment. Yes you can get them read for free but that isn't worth the hassle. BlueBee found an OBDII for $30. Makes troubleshooting much easier and works on most cars.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Lean codes are almost ALWAYS due to a lean condition. Meaning a vacuum leak, ruptured crankcase valve, low fuel pressure, etc.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
BlueBee found an OBDII for $30.
Actually, I paid $30 but then they started selling them for $22 ... I felt gypped!
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes

Quote:
Your second mistake was to use a "cheap MAF sensor from eBay".
See this thread for parts that should be OEM:
- What E39 parts are most often recommended to only buy OEM (1)

Quote:
First thing you should do is rerun the codes. Then search this forum for possible reasons why you have these codes.
Follow Fudman's advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manybrews View Post
Lean codes are almost ALWAYS due to a lean condition. Meaning a vacuum leak, ruptured crankcase valve, low fuel pressure, etc.
See this debugging of lean codes today, for example:
- Fuel system lean - multiple codes - Help please
Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i 5 speed
Check your DISA valve. It's an easy thing to do.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
I dont know if the I6's have these but did you happen to forget the rubber boot ring from MAF to air boot or the ring from boot to TB?