Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3, 11 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
This is the reason I don't like the idea of trying out various aftermarket parts for something like brakes on the BMW.
I may be wrong and don't want to sound harsh but that's what you get for getting non-OEM stuff. Yes they may generate more dust, but think of it it may all be for a reason - namely providing adequate stopping power, and not squeaking at that. Never had BMW OEM brakes squeak or cause any trouble.

I am going to have to agree 100%. Keep in mind the weight of this car, my mother has an 08 750Li and the amount of dust it produces is ridiculous, however every time I get behind the wheel I am amazed at how well it stops. This chassis style of the 7 series if memory serves correct uses the same pads as the new M5 and M3. The pads you are being talked into are either organic or ceramic - organic pads from my experience are good for 1 stop and that is it - they must cool for at least 5 minutes before they are good for anything again (I know this from when I had my e36 m3 and the independent that changed my pads was out of what I requested and substituted without asking or after I payed telling me.) Ceramic pads just plain and simple suck - my father has a big body range rover (not supercharge mind you) and way back in the day autozone carried ferodo which I have used in the past on previous land rovers that we have owned (d90, disco II and another range rover) without so much as a hiccup - they dusted like crazy; however it was for a reason and the cars would stop just as well if not better than stock pads. So went to autozone they were out next I went to advance and requested the best non organic - semi-metallic pads they had and purchased them. Upon installation and taking it for a test drive I almost had my life flash before my eyes - they pads were atrocious it took every bit of me to get this car to come to a stop from 45mph (I am 6'4 245lbs.) Turns out they sold me ceramic pads - seriously traveling at a rate of 75mph and full weight on the brake pedal it was impossible to get abs to activate - they only began to work once you get a ton of heat in them (much like race pads) but still stopping distance was dangerously increased. After about a week of this we just couldn't deal and ordered genuine factory pads online for just over a 150.00 where as the dealer wanted 245.00 just for the part. Granted the ceramic pads did not dust the flip side to that was the car did not stop. After we got the genuine pads in switched them out, the truck stopped on a dime. However the damage had been done at that time - apparently the ceramic pads generated so much heat it ended up damaging the hub sensors which control things such as traction control, hill descent, and tie into the abs system so now it's a fight with the dealer who says due to the evidence of extreme heat which they contributed to us driving the car on track (which I can assure you it was not the case. my father in his mid 60's drives like an old man and when I say that I mean 100yards back from the closest car in front of him and always 5-10 under the limit)- they are classifying it under abuse and state it becomes a customer pay issue now. Never mind the 8 rovers we have purchased new from them in the past 14 years or so; but that is a different issue all in it's own.

Another thing I would suade you from using are those brake disc shields that claim to keep your wheels clean. DONT! They trap heat and before you know it your rotors will be heavily warped and lets not forget the obvious they look like sh*t too.

I am sure there are products on the market that you could apply to your wheels that make them easier to clean - maybe some sort of wax that would allow you to just take a hose to them occasionally when they start getting filthy.

In summation - I have been there done that and yes I agree dust can get annoying but in the end I am not willing to jeopardize the safety of the ones I love just so I can save an extra 5 minutes each week when I go to clean my car.

FYI this what my family uses on their cars and what I use on my car:

mother 08 750Li - factory (car is still under scheduled maint. so I don't know who the oe mfg. my guess is pagid) however once that is up I am going to most likely use pagid's on it unless there is a deal on genuine factory pads online

father 09 range rover - lr genuine from one of the big lr enthusiast catalogs literally for half what the local lr dealer parts dept. was wanting to charge

father 06 mb sl55 amg - either textar or pagid it's been a year or two since I did them either way (pagid, textar, mintex, etc are all owned by the same company) and the car stops just as well as it did on mb genuine pads so that is all that matters.

brother 05 jetta tdi (chipped) pagid

me 04 m3 hawk hp plus - for hpde i will sometimes use hawk blues - the hp plus are prone to squeak but if you use some heavy grease on the back of the pad during install it usually doesn't present itself (well maybe if it is really humid out and you are slowly creeping up to a light with your foot barely on the brake - however it doesn't bother me in the least)

me 88 325is full prep scca/bmw club race car hawk ht-10 - (these dust ridiculous amount and shoot sparks out of the wheels under heavy braking)

all the pads we use are semi-metallic and not the ceramic or organic variety. I know companies such as hawk and TMD friction (owners of pagid, textar, mintex, and a host of others) now make a ceramic pad and who knows they may be fantastic, my past experience left a sour taste in my mouth so that being said I am going to stick with quality semi-metallic pads. think about it this way if your family lives close you could all get together every weekend and clean the dust off your cars together which i feel is a much better alternative.

Hope I didn't offend you as that was not my intention. I hope that this response has given you some information that you can use when it comes time to make your decision.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by Billthebrewer; 10-09-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Update: In the week since changing the brakes, I didn't drive much. This past weekend I drove about 200+ miles and the noise seems to have stopped. I did consider that they needed to be "bedded in" and applied a bit more pressure than usual on certain stops. All is fine now and stopping power seems very good too. Thanks everyone for their advice.

2008 750LI
1997 E320