Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
C7 A6 versus F10 5er comparison video

Let the usual pissing match commence
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I drove the C7 A6 a couple of weeks ago. I really like the power train. Also like the tech a lot too. And the price. Those who care about throttle response will love the A6 - it's instantaneous.

But I also was reminded I don't like the looks, the interior does feel a little cheap by my standards, and would have preferred the active suspension of the European models. I test drove both the sport and the non-sport package and thought I would like both of those setups for different occasions.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Panamera
How many people have you heard say the 5 looks like a 3? If anything, it's more like a 7. I think they need their eyes checked.

I just drove an A7 and liked the car but didn't like the cheap plastics and finishes used in the car. Prefer the 5 series myself. Also, I've learned the price difference between BMW and Audi is quickly compensated for by the much better lease residual values of the BMW.

Last edited by Taylormade2; 10-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade2 View Post
How many people have you heard say the 5 looks like a 3? If anything, it's more like a 7. I think they need their eyes checked.

I just drove an A7 and liked the car but didn't like the cheap plastics and finishes used in the car. Prefer the 5 series myself. Also, I've learned the price difference between BMW and Audi is quickly compensated for by the much better lease residual values of the BMW.
Agree on the cheap plastics and finishes. The 5 is very close to the 7 in interior quality. The A6 is nothing like the A8 on the inside.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormade2 View Post
how many people have you heard say the 5 looks like a 3? If anything, it's more like a 7. I think they need their eyes checked.

I just drove an a7 and liked the car but didn't like the cheap plastics and finishes used in the car. Prefer the 5 series myself. Also, i've learned the price difference between bmw and audi is quickly compensated for by the much better lease residual values of the bmw.
+1
Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
If there's ever been a bigger piece of yellow journalism I certainly can't recall it.
One has to wonder just how much these shill clowns got paid for their efforts.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The most unsophisticated car comparo I've ever read or watched
Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I drove the C7 A6 a couple of weeks ago. I really like the power train. Also like the tech a lot too. And the price. Those who care about throttle response will love the A6 - it's instantaneous.

But I also was reminded I don't like the looks, the interior does feel a little cheap by my standards, and would have preferred the active suspension of the European models. I test drove both the sport and the non-sport package and thought I would like both of those setups for different occasions.
This sums it up almost perfectly for me except that I would not want the active suspension. I find the sport package to be ok for general use.

But damn, that powertrain is smooth and STRONG.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
OMG! Do these guys get paid to do this? Who would trust these two with these cars? That was a riot..kind of like a B Movie, but in a car review format

Why not see if the Audi coud catch the BMW??? That was the most unscientific car review I have ever watched, and it took over 9 minutes..LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICK UP DAY.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	296640  
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
20 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
i thought i am watching"mythbusters" from discovery, they are trying to bust a myth that F10 is the best car ever
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

And where were you Autounion- all these days, i even posted a thread asking people on this forum as to where is Autounion?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Volkswagen is well known for its funny commercials. This is one in a somewhat other format though. I am still wondered why you would drive an AWD 535, if not for living in the snow for longer periods. A RWD BMW will smash the standard FWD Audis all the time. And on this side of the pond it is almost all Audi pullers you meet in real live. But what about the throttle response in this film, is that something you endure with a 535? My diesel reacts direct on the accelerator. Is it software and so what version of CIC is it you need to have to overcome this?

Last edited by Sophisto; 10-11-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Somewhere a village is missing two idiots...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Interesting video. I like the fact that Audi has identified BMW as the standard-bearer it wants to beat-out for automotive dominance...underscores my decisions to select BMWs for the past 5 cars I've owned (including the 2 that are in my garage right now).

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsell View Post
Somewhere a village is missing two idiots...
LOL +1

Or somewhere two villiages are missing an idiot each!...

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM

A 3 second throttle response lag? I know we're over-run with threads on throttle tip in and delay on this car but 3 seconds sounds like a bit much. Sounds more like turbo lag but 3 seconds would be ridiculous for that as well.

I'm not driving a 535 so I can't really speak from experience but the BS registers really came up when I watched that part of the video.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
And where were you Autounion- all these days, i even posted a thread asking people on this forum as to where is Autounion?
I don't take bait from public callouts. Especially those written with the english skill of a second grader
Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

You haven't updated your signature with closed door picture yet?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I only watched bits and pieces. Glad I didn't watch the entire thing. The part I saw that totally turned me off was when they overdramatized the one "tester" trying to put the gear shift lever in to drive.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Did a back to back test drive between F10 535I, 550I and 2012 A6...

Looks like i am the odd man here... i know you guys gonna deep fry me for saying this but i felt the interior layout (basically the dash and button/knobs) is pretty good compared to F10.

The knobs are really good... dont feel like plasticy to me .Any ways thats me (To me the best layouts are Infinity and Acura).

and comming to test drive itself i tried to duplicate the severe problem we are having here (Throttle response) i was able to duplicate in 535I (very slightly noticable but not in annoying range) and 550i(its completely neglible you wont even remember the delay once the engine kicks off but you will be in 60 all the time without even knowing it) and 2012 A6 is in between 535i and 550i (You guys should really test drive it) a novice like me felt the difference so you guys will certainly appreciate it.

there are few tech things which are not avaialble in A6 which may be a deal breaker for some, like the 360 view cameras , Auto parking assist, Apps...

configuration is very very simple no confusion, its as simple as configuring a acura or honda. There is package called Innovation package which cost 5900$ and includes entire silicon valley (except the few above)

its basically like master of all jacks but nothing perfect.. if you configure BMW equally you will be around 6-8k below.

But you won't have better options like nappa leather or better selection of interior wood trim etc:-

Last edited by DreamCar; 10-12-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I have a two part response to this video:

1) I agree with the consensus; these two clowns look like they should be driving Camaros and Mustangs and drinking Bud Light while having one hand down their pants, Al Bundy-style. Even if they are qualified to evaluate a luxury sedan, nobody's going to take them seriously because of the way they present themselves.

2) Subjective things aside, it's obvious that Audi put in a ton of effort to crush the 5-series with the C7. In almost every empirical measurement, the A6 wins, whereas before Audi would put out a car that was 0.8 seconds slower on the 0-60 run, or a few hundredths lower on the skidpad and they didn't give a rat's ass. The C7 is notably different in this regard, and for that Audi deserves a tip of the hat for upping the ante.

Meanwhile, with the F10, BMW did a cursory cosmetic update and added a few features they copied from the 7. The F10 is by no means a bad car (I have one ), but I'm sorry, you have to give Audi the gold metal here when it comes to improving their mid-size sedan over the previous model. BMW just kind of rested on its laurels and didn't really produce a game-changer this time around.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Hmmm. Well, I do think the F10 is more than a cursory cosmetic update to the E60. That said, good on Audi for upping the ante as you say. Haven't seen an 2012 A6 yet. Last time I checked, a couple of weeks ago, they had none in stock. So, even if it's a better car, you can't get one.
Hate it when that happens.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Hmmm. Well, I do think the F10 is more than a cursory cosmetic update to the E60. That said, good on Audi for upping the ante as you say. Haven't seen an 2012 A6 yet. Last time I checked, a couple of weeks ago, they had none in stock. So, even if it's a better car, you can't get one.
Hate it when that happens.
In South Florida they have several.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I have a two part response to this video:

1) I agree with the consensus; these two clowns look like they should be driving Camaros and Mustangs and drinking Bud Light while having one hand down their pants, Al Bundy-style. Even if they are qualified to evaluate a luxury sedan, nobody's going to take them seriously because of the way they present themselves.
I blame Top Gear. Now every car show or segment feels it has to be "funny" whatever that means. The 2nd guy wasn't actually that bad; if he lost his hillbilly sidekick it wouldn't have been a bad segment.

I love TG as entertainment, but every once in a while I long for a show like the old TG which was sincerely interested in reviewing cars.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
I blame Top Gear. Now every car show or segment feels it has to be "funny" whatever that means. The 2nd guy wasn't actually that bad; if he lost his hillbilly sidekick it wouldn't have been a bad segment.

I love TG as entertainment, but every once in a while I long for a show like the old TG which was sincerely interested in reviewing cars.
Watch Motor Week on PBS

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians