how to best setup iPhone without iDrive/nav?
I've scoured the forum, but I can't figure the best way of setting up and using the iPhone in my car. So, I'd like to know how you've set it up.
I have a 3-series WITHOUT iDrive/nav, but WITH i) bluetooth package and ii) smartphone integration. I currently just use the phone by plugging in standard iPhone usb cable into the USB port in the central console, snaking it outside, and connecting my iPhone to it.
The current setup sucks for the following reasons:
- as soon as I connect iPhone to the BMW USB port, it blocks the standard iPod screen so I can't select/change any music. I can only use the little amber screen/buttons in the radio block, which is insanely lame.
- simply connecting iPhone to the USB port doesn't utilize the external sharkfin antenna, thus, depriving me of a much-needed signal boost.
- it looks lousy, and I can't connect the phone without having to take eyes off the road
I've considered getting the snap-in-adapter. That would boost the cell signal. But then I would have to lock the phone in the center console, and it wouldn't be accessible. I use voice command (iPhone's voice, not BMW's).
- Is there a way to make use of the sharkfin antenna to boost the signal while leaving the iPhone accessible?
- Can I somehow activate iPhone's voice command through wheel/dashboard buttons, or is having physical access to the iPhone button is a must?
- Is there a good cardle or alternative snap-in adapter setup that would place iPhone somewhere where I can interact with it and see the screen?
I am sure many of you are looking forward to using Siri in a car, and I'd imagine you've considered how to set things up already. I'd love to hear that!