Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I Wonder What This Does?!

Send a message via MSN to DLS_91_525i
Mein Auto: 91 BMW 525i 72 VW Variant
That Was Easy! or Was It Luck?

So I had been reading multiple threads over and over and OVER again to make sure I was going to be able to bleed system right after changing the thermostat.

Well it was A LOT easier then I have been reading or either I got lucky.

Here is exactly what I did.

Filled the car with coolant and put the radiator cap on firmly.

Started the car and turned the heat on max and the blower on max.
(the car started coming up to temp and then started going past where it usually stays)

I checked the coolant level and then opened the bleeder screw and coolant started bubbling out and I let it keep bubbling until pure coolant started coming out then I closed the bleeder screw.

Topped off the coolant and watch the temp it stayed right in the middle as it usually does.

I took the car for a drive and the temp even came down a little below middle which I had no problem with sense cooler is better and the heat was blowing HOT!

I got back to the house topped off the coolant again and everything seems as normal as could be, no High temps, plenty of Hot air coming from the vents and coolant level staying constant.

Did I really worry myself to much with this task or did I just get lucky this time?

Because I have been reading a lot of the post where people were jumping through hoops to get these cars to bleed.

(1991 BMW 525i 260,XXX miles)
(1972 Volkswagen "The DEATHWAGEN" Variant 64,XXX miles)
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
You did it right. I have done the exact same procedure each time I've done mine, with the exception of the time I filled the block in the t-stat port just before putting the t-stat in. I've never had problems with the actual bleeding though.

Congrats

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
What you did is probably 90% close to what is required. No one knows which is the 100% level. Your method was very slightly different from mine, yet it worked perfectly. Just for kicks, bleed it again the day after you've done some highway driving, when the engine is cold. See if air bubbles appear. They probably will. No biggie.

So, IT IS EASY TO BLEED OUR E34'S RADIATORS !!!! I hope everyone gets this. If it isn't, then and you're overheating, something else is definitely wrong. And, there will always be air bubbles in the system. A few bubbles are no big deal. The radiator was designed that way. Air pockets, are another matter. That's why we have bleeding.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM

It is a BIG weight off my shoulders knowing that I did it right and that the car is running great. I have had no major problems out of the car motor wise sense I have owned it *knock on wood* and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin this magnificent car just because I did not bleed it properly and over heat it.

The only two major problems I had was the bleeder screw being broke but lucky managed to get it out. I JB welded a tiny flat head screw driver to it and let it set over night and with luck I was able to just back the screw out and replace it with a new metal one that the parts store actually had so now I guess I will have a back up one just in case when it shows up in the mail and as I was tightening the thermostat back down I managed to twist the head off of one of the three 10mm bolts that holds it on and I was not even applying that much force. Some magical way of some sort it managed to twist off so that there was just and I mean JUST enough of the broken bolt sticking out for me to clamp on to it was a small pair of vice grips and slowly back it out and just so be it the parts store had the exact bolts and washer right on there shelf. I even checked and double check and even triple checked to make sure they were exact because I did not want to mess up the internal threads in the block. After that everything went back together as smooth as butter well as smooth as new bolts anyways

After that experience I would definitely recommend replacing the thermostat bolts when you replace your thermostat and or thermostat housing. 20 year old bolts seem to fatigue and become very soft and brittle. I am just lucky it was not the other way around and one of the bolts were broke off in there instead of on its way in.

Better yet as I continue to replace things on her I will probably buy new bolts because it is not going to do any harm, it is just one more tiny step in preventive maintenance and bolts are just a few cents a piece that is nothing compared to the trouble you would go through if you were to break a old brittle bolt off in something.

Well I think that is everything I was going to say or thought of to say as I was typing.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
What you did is probably 90% close to what is required. No one knows which is the 100% level. Your method was very slightly different from mine, yet it worked perfectly. Just for kicks, bleed it again the day after you've done some highway driving, when the engine is cold. See if air bubbles appear. They probably will. No biggie.

So, IT IS EASY TO BLEED OUR E34'S RADIATORS !!!! I hope everyone gets this. If it isn't, then and you're overheating, something else is definitely wrong. And, there will always be air bubbles in the system. A few bubbles are no big deal. The radiator was designed that way. Air pockets, are another matter. That's why we have bleeding.
I plan on bleeding it for air tomorrow once I get home, of course once the engine is cold because I have to drive about 10 miles to school and 10 miles back on the highway so the car has plenty of time to come up to temp and circulate all the coolant.

Last edited by DLS_91_525i; 10-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Yes my friend. You got it right. Preventive maintenance is the key to these cars.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Indeed it is! The cars are great, reliable cars, but nothing will continue to be as reliable as it is now if it is not kept up to par with the rest of the parts surrounding it. If you have the money to go out and buy a new part for you car, surely you can scrap up some changes to buy a few new bolts to guarantee that the new part you just bought is soundly secured to the car with no worries of leaks or broken bolts.