Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
08 6sp shift quality

I am still getting to know the car (only had it 10days) and making a list of maintenance items that need seeing to. I have done a search on notchy shifts etc and while it is common that this box isnt the slickest shifting and even the owners manual says that it may emit a sound when shifting into 1st (...), I think mine is not operating optimally.

Mileage is 32,000. The clutch doesnt feel worn and is smooth in all applications, however, the shift quality into 1st and 2nd is clunky (not just notchy) and not positive. I know there are quite a few posts about notchy shifts in the lower gears, but mine is not consistent. I mean there is the occasional perfectly brand new feeling solid rubbery shift quality, but most times this is not the case. I am struggling to replicate exactly what revs produce the best or worst shifts and at what speeds.

If I dont rev match with a throttle blip between shifts, the shift into 2nd, particularly, is most oftern clunky and has the feeling like the syncros aren't doing their work. Its not a crunch or a grind yet, but the feeling like you haven't engaged the gear at the right spot and its grabbing a moving cog rather than slipping into its right spot with the characteristic rubbery thud. I have been playing with engaging the gears at an angle - a little to the left or right of center and this seems to produce the cleanest quickest shifts, but it takes alot of concentration... If I rev match and let the revs fall as a engage the next gear it'll slip in without resistance.

Any thoughts on whether a simple fluid change would improve this (my 03 Z4 had similar characteristics and a change to redline fluids made the world of difference) or whether this could be indicative of worn syncros that may be deteriorating prematurely?

Lastly, if I rev up quite a bit in first and grab second it doesnt slip in, it requires a firm shove and it hinders the progress. The shift just seems to take too long. I have once accelarated hard and grabbed second with force and it did not grind as I have read some will be prone to do, but it still required a firm shove to get it into 2nd.
What luck would I likely have demanding at least a fluid change if the dealer said that is normal operating conditions?

As much as I enjoy shifting a manual, if it's not slick it spoils the experience completely. Such are the joys of buying a used car, but I have always managed to get them just the way I want them with some attention. Its one of those things that I only noticed after spending some time behind the wheel and is more of an issue when the fluids are worn rather than cold (which is counter intuitive).

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Ads by Google