Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
plans to lease then ultimately buy a 2012 135i

So im currently 21 and have saved up about $10k to help my dad lease a 135i for myself as my audi a4 lease is coming to an end.
My main question simply is, I have very little experience in driving manual cars ( driven a porsche turbo around the block a few times up and down hills, never on high way).
Since this car is basically going to be my car for 6-10 years should I go for manual or the new DCT?
I know many will say to test drive but I don't want to go to the dealership and look like a fool driving to drive a manual 135i. So basically I would learn to drive manual on my 135i. Is this a foolish idea? I've been driving for 6 years and also wanted to own a manual car but I do go to school in the city so I will hit traffic like twice a week. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guy
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Rather than leasing, consider purchasing a pre-owned car that is coming off lease. I just purchased an `08 CPO 135 convertible that had a little over 33K on the odometer for $36K OTD. Mine has the steptronic 6-speed with paddles and it is an absolute blast to drive. I let my best friend drive it last weekend and he told me that he had never had so much fun with a car. I used to prefer manual transmission cars, but I wouldn't purposefully own one now.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM

so thats one vote for a DCT lol . thing is since my father is going half's with me he only wants to do lease so i cant buy till after 3 years when im out of school
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
If you want to learn how to drive manual get 128 - will be much easier.
Or just get some old car with MT to learn - your don't want to fry clutch on brand new car.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
First off, leasing THEN buying the same car is a bad idea. Most times you will be hit with a HUGE payment afterwards. If you can get a co-signer you can get a great rate and be better off. Most dealerships will tell you not to lease then buy the same car...well some will, some don't mind because they will make a profit X 2. Buy if you plan on keeping it longer than 3 years, if not just trade it in and walk away. Someone else will be able to go into the nitty gritty of leasing THEN buying the same car, unless you mean you plan to buy a separate car later, I might have misunderstood.

Regarding the manual vs. DCT... I would recommend the DCT. Manuals are great and before they were the only option that I would go with because automatic was all the lag and none the fun. Now with the tiptronic and paddle shifters, you have all the fun of the manual and none of the work. Plus with a dual clutch transmission you are shifting flawlessly and more quickly than others can shift. You will catch crap for having an automatic but when you are able to do the quarter mile in 1/4 second quicker than them, who is going to be laughing!? (Sarcasm)

I do recommend that if you do go manual, get a buddy with an old honda civic that you can practice on rather than your new BMW. BMW doesn't cover noob wear and tear I don't believe :P

Also, personal preference, don't mention your Dad helped you get the lease/finance, there is an over abundance of little kids getting their mommy and daddies to help them get 40K+ cars, I don't have enough time to slap them all. Just kidding. Good luck on the purchase!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMeUp View Post
First off, leasing THEN buying the same car is a bad idea. Most times you will be hit with a HUGE payment afterwards. If you can get a co-signer you can get a great rate and be better off. Most dealerships will tell you not to lease then buy the same car...well some will, some don't mind because they will make a profit X 2. Buy if you plan on keeping it longer than 3 years, if not just trade it in and walk away. Someone else will be able to go into the nitty gritty of leasing THEN buying the same car, unless you mean you plan to buy a separate car later, I might have misunderstood.
Leasing can be a good deal and offer a number of advantages. It all depends on the terms you negotiate. One of my last cars was a Honda S2000. My purchase option was 19K, when the market value was about $22K. I bought the car, there were no additional fees and got the full amount I paid for it credited toward another car I bought after using the S2000 6 months.

In terms of advantages:

1. If you have an accident you have an option to walk way from the car after it is repaired and the lease is up. If you'd bought it, it would be more difficult to sell.

2. If your car winds up having mechanical issues, the lease offers a chance to walk away from it (i.e. if you are concerned about HPFP issues after having the car for three years).

3. If the market price of the car at lease end is below the purchase option, you can simply walk away from it.

4. Manufacturers often provide good deals on leases, providing "Capitalized Cost Reductions", low money factors and attractive residuals to move inventory. After 36 months of my lease, I have an option to buy my 135 for $28K. Compared to going prices for 3 years old 135 verts, this would be a decent price. When I shopped for the 135 I found BMW's lease terms were so favorable my monthly payments and out of pocket payment were much more attractive than lease terms for a Camaro SS vert that stickered below the BMW's price.

5. You don't tie up your money in the car itself.

Leasing is not for everyone...there are disadvantages too. If you don't take good care of your car you may have to pay to cover unusual wear and tear. If you want to mod your car heavily you are better off owning it too since you'd have to remove mods before returning it under a lease.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
leasing can be a good deal and offer a number of advantages. It all depends on the terms you negotiate. One of my last cars was a honda s2000. My purchase option was 19k, when the market value was about $22k. I bought the car, there were no additional fees and got the full amount i paid for it credited toward another car i bought after using the s2000 6 months.

In terms of advantages:

1. If you have an accident you have an option to walk way from the car after it is repaired and the lease is up. If you'd bought it, it would be more difficult to sell.

2. If your car winds up having mechanical issues, the lease offers a chance to walk away from it (i.e. If you are concerned about hpfp issues after having the car for three years).

3. If the market price of the car at lease end is below the purchase option, you can simply walk away from it.

4. Manufacturers often provide good deals on leases, providing "capitalized cost reductions", low money factors and attractive residuals to move inventory. After 36 months of my lease, i have an option to buy my 135 for $28k. Compared to going prices for 3 years old 135 verts, this would be a decent price. When i shopped for the 135 i found bmw's lease terms were so favorable my monthly payments and out of pocket payment were much more attractive than lease terms for a camaro ss vert that stickered below the bmw's price.

Leasing is not for everyone...there are disadvantages too. If you don't take good care of your car you may have to pay to cover unusual wear and tear. If you want to mod your car heavily you are better off owning it too since you'd have to remove mods before returning it under a lease.
+1
Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
Leasing can be a good deal and offer a number of advantages. It all depends on the terms you negotiate. One of my last cars was a Honda S2000. My purchase option was 19K, when the market value was about $22K. I bought the car, there were no additional fees and got the full amount I paid for it credited toward another car I bought after using the S2000 6 months.

In terms of advantages:

2. If your car winds up having mechanical issues, the lease offers a chance to walk away from it (i.e. if you are concerned about HPFP issues after having the car for three years).

4. Manufacturers often provide good deals on leases, providing "Capitalized Cost Reductions", low money factors and attractive residuals to move inventory. After 36 months of my lease, I have an option to buy my 135 for $28K. Compared to going prices for 3 years old 135 verts, this would be a decent price. When I shopped for the 135 I found BMW's lease terms were so favorable my monthly payments and out of pocket payment were much more attractive than lease terms for a Camaro SS vert that stickered below the BMW's price.

Yes these are defiantly all great points and I completely agree, leasing is a good option and I strongly recommend it. Especially if you don't have the credit or money to put down or maintain the payment. My understanding of the situation though is he plans to lease THEN buy the same car after he leases?? If that's the case I would strongly recommend against that due to you are leasing then going to have a possibly larger payment and interest on a car that is already used. He would be stuck in it for a very long time paying probably a lot of interest depending on credit and the deal he may or may not get.

My opinion is that if he plans to own it for 6-10 years as stated, or even 4+ years (maybe 5+ because of BMWs service plan and warranty is 4/50,000) that he just purchase the vehicle. You won't have to worry about turning in the lease (which has to be in excellent condition) you won't have to worry about mileage, you won't have deal with higher insurance (which I think is higher on leases).

Again leasing is great if you plan to walk away from the vehicle afterwards, but if you plan to lease and buy the same vehicle, it just doesn't make sense finacially to lease to buy.

As for the manual/DCT, although I still stick by the DCT, research the cost to repair over the manual. I owned a Lancer Ralliart with a DCT and someone had to replace one which cost around $3,000 I think after labor. Although there is debate on whether or not they last longer due to they are not using the same clutch for all gears so the wear and tear is down from a manual (this of course is argueable).
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Don't like leasing, never have, never will. It's like living in a hotel room with serious restrictions. With 10k saved up, your payments on a CPO BMW will be the same as a lease, plus you own the car. the advantages up there are really mute points. mechanical issues will be covered on a CPO for up to 2 years after the end of original warranty or 100,000, As for HPFP all you 135i guys are touting nothing to worry about with BMW's extended warranty on those for 10 years 120K miles. Let's not forget hefty penalties for returning a car before lease end, and of course, mileage restrictions.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Don't like leasing, never have, never will. It's like living in a hotel room with serious restrictions. With 10k saved up, your payments on a CPO BMW will be the same as a lease, plus you own the car. the advantages up there are really mute points. mechanical issues will be covered on a CPO for up to 2 years after the end of original warranty or 100,000, As for HPFP all you 135i guys are touting nothing to worry about with BMW's extended warranty on those for 10 years 120K miles. Let's not forget hefty penalties for returning a car before lease end, and of course, mileage restrictions.
I concur with your points regarding the benefits of a CPO car in this instance...that's exactly what I did. However, even though I purchased my 135i, leasing can make sense if one knows they are going to keep a car for only 2-3 years. [I lease my 7 Series.] Just so you know, BMW leasing is very straight-forward...you sign a contract to make stated payments over a period of time ($ x12, 24, 36, etc.); you'll know what you owe if you want to get out early. Of course, the whole point is to know the amount of time you will want to be in a particular car.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMeUp View Post
Yes these are defiantly all great points and I completely agree, leasing is a good option and I strongly recommend it. Especially if you don't have the credit or money to put down or maintain the payment. My understanding of the situation though is he plans to lease THEN buy the same car after he leases?? If that's the case I would strongly recommend against that due to you are leasing then going to have a possibly larger payment and interest on a car that is already used. He would be stuck in it for a very long time paying probably a lot of interest depending on credit and the deal he may or may not get...

Again leasing is great if you plan to walk away from the vehicle afterwards, but if you plan to lease and buy the same vehicle, it just doesn't make sense finacially to lease to buy.
I disagree...leasing can make sense even if you have the $$ to buy or finance outright. Regardless of whether you lease or finance you will pay more for either if you have bad credit. For example, I leased a 2008 S2000 for $356/month for 36 months. The 36 payments plus the 19000 purchase option added up to $31,816 on a 34,300 sticker car. When the lease was up, I simply bought the car for the residual value...there were no additional fees. I had the car and I had an option to walk away if I didn't like it or if the market value was below the purchase option price. The option to turn in the car has a value (options pricing is a whole subject matter for MBA's) that is often overlooked or under appreciated. In my case I could have made $3-4K if I took the time to sell it myself afterwards (btw I was in the car business for 6 years, switch cars often and have no qualms about selling my cars directly).

For me the main issue with leasing is that dealers screw around with the parameters for leases and many customers aren't attuned to the financial calculations that go into a lease. When I went to pick up my 135 vert my SA announced that he had god news: BMW was recognizing a higher residual value for the car on its leases. I thought that was great, as it would lower my monthly payments on the lease since I was paying for a smaller proportion of the selling price. When I received the paperwork, they simply re-jiggered the numbers so I'd pay the same amount and left me with a higher purchase option ($31K instead of $28+K). Essentially they were trying to keep a higher skim on the Money Factor. I insisted on the original deal and they honored it, since an option to purchase the car at $28K has a better chance of being "in the money" below the future market price than an option at $31k. When I look at 3 year old low mileage 135 verts (I drive about 7K/year) with my options on the market today they are going for over $31K. So buying it for $28K in 3 years may be a decent deal if I am still thrilled with the car, and I'll still be able to use the remaining 1 year of warranty and have the option to extend it like a CPO car's coverage.

Last edited by sjp3003; 10-18-2011 at 01:52 PM.