Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3
BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Option Mandatory?

Can anyone shed any light on why this $650 option is mandatory on the X3? I have heard that BMW has had some sort of supply chain issue with a chip so the non-Bluetooth is not available. Other models do not require this option. In my business, if I have a supply chain problem, that is my problem. I do not have the option of telling my customers that they have to pay more for an option they do not want.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: subaru outback
I didn't want it either, and decided I wouldn't buy the X3 until it was deleted. Several weeks later I found a dealer on Truecar that offered the X3 for $1500 over invoice. I contacted them and said I would buy the car if the $650 mandatory Bluetooth "option" was deleted from the invoice price- the dealer agreed, and I bought the car. The dealership was 100+ miles away, but it was well worth it.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
I was unpleasantly surprised, to say the least, when I went to order my 2012 X3 28i today. I laid out what options I wanted (premium pkg, heated front seats (for my wife), Xenon headlights and satellite radio), the salesman took down all of the information, and returned to let me know that I could not order satellite radio as an option without ordering the BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB.

I was ordering by way of a buying program with a prenegotiated price relative to invoice, and thus knew what I was going to have to pay for what I wanted, and told him flat out that I would not order without satellite radio, and that I did not want this option, which comes at a 590.00 invoice price. After salesperson and manager consulted, they took $650.00 off of the price (the MSRP for that "option"), and since I need a new car sooner rather than later, and this would be effectively "free" to me, we got the deal done. I think the look of shock on my face and tossing the pricing sheet back without even looking at it helped them believe that I was serious.

However, now I think that I might have still been misled, even though it did not "cost me any money", other than maybe I could have gotten a better deal than going through the buying program. I don't think it would have mattered what I wanted as options, they probably would have said that I could not get something without getting the BMW Assist option, although satellite radio sounds somewhat more plausible than "no Xenon headlights unless you get BMW Assist"!

The detailed pricing guide given to me by the dealer two weeks ago, with the 2012 pricing, lists, as "standard" (ie., included in base price), item "6NH", which is "Hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection", which is all I wanted in the first place. Do you suppose the dealer was unaware that this BMW Assist "option" is actually required, if they are working off of the same pricing guide?

Secondly, I am assuming that the "Enhanced Bluetooth and USB" that comes with the "BMW Assist" is just the plain vanilla item "6NH" packaged with, and "enhancing" the BMW Assist option. Does anyone know, one way or the other?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: Ordering X3 35i
The lowest you can go off invoice is generally 500. Most people have been paying closer to invoice + 1000-1500 on the x3 however.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM

The buying service price was invoice +1000, so with the $650 "credit" for this "option", it came out to invoice +350, but with an "option" that I could likely have done without. I was also eligilble for the $1000 BMW customer loyalty rebate, so the final price came in at $650 below invoice overall, but, again, with an option that I would have preferred not to pay for. Unless there is some benefit to the option other than getting BMW Assist, a USB jack and Bluetooth capability, which, going into the transaction, and based on the pricing sheet I had been given, I had thought would be standard and included in the base price.

Stated differently, the +1000 over invoice with the -1000 customer loyalty rebate had me going in with a "net" price at invoice. I just did not expect to have to pay for the BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Adapter.

Overall, I am satisfied with what I am paying for the car. I just did not expect the last minute addition when I was told I could select what options I wanted and did not want, and these three things were listed as standard equipment.

With the buying service price, etc., I did have to suck it up and pay the $399.00 document procesing fee also, so it is not like I took them to the cleaners. It was worth it to me to not have the hassle of negotiating the deal.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM

From what i read in the brochure BMW assist seems like Onstar. Is that right? is the only way to get Bluetooth capability and USB connectivity by getting this "option"? Isn't all this available in the Technology package?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:12 AM

BMW Assist/Bluetooth/USB is included in the Technology Package. It is also included in the stand-alone Navigation package option. If you don't want either of those (I did not), it appears that you must get the BMW Assist/Bluetooth/USB option.

On the BMWNA pricing sheet I was provided with in order to build my X3, "Hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection" is shown as item 6NH, standard equipment on both the 28i and 35i. What I have not yet been able to determine is whether there is any difference between this and what is described in the BMW Assist option as "enhanced Bluetooth and USB".
Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM

So does that mean that if I get the tech package that there will still be a charge for another option that is the enhanced bluetooth version? I plan on getting the tech package so hopefully I don't see this extra $$.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
So does that mean that if I get the tech package that there will still be a charge for another option that is the enhanced bluetooth version? I plan on getting the tech package so hopefully I don't see this extra $$.
It is included in the tech package.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM

No, the Technology Package (ZTP) includes item "6NL", which is "BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB". The "6NL" option purchased separately (car not equipped with ZTP or with Nav) is $590/$650 (invoice/MSRP).
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks all. I have a pdf of the 2011 order which states in the tech package:
6NL: BMW assist including mobile office and bluetooth audio functionality
nothing about enhanced or usb. But I assume it's the same thing. Where can I get the 2012 order pricing info. I have already found out the 2011 catalog/brochure is incorrect in that the Msport package reports having all the functionality that is provided in the Dynamic Handling Packge as well as it's own items. But reading other posts it seems that's not correct.