Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 525i Auto
New parts!!!

I finally got around to buying all of the suspension parts i need which include upper and lower control arms, a pair of tie rods, rear sway links an pitmans, front a rear shocks/struts all for only $400 bucks all brand new.
The shocks are sensen (apx parts.com) and all of the other parts are FCP GROTON. The shocks kit was only 123. Apparently the sensen company (chinese) is breaking into the western markert hence the cheap price. I think you alll know about FCP groton..
I will let uall know how the car feels once all parts are installed.
Peace
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
When you remove the Struts that are in now, please let me know the difference in shaft length if any. Thanks... I looked at gabriel shocks at one time and the shaft was about an inch longer that the billstein HDs that were in the car...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM

I will try to look at the differences with the sensen shocks. I have a cool mechanic that will let me watch and help in the repair process. I plan to study the bentleyanual that way if he is doing something wrong i can detect it
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
I plan to study the bentleyanual that way if he is doing something wrong i can detect it
FYI - The Bentley isn't the bible when it comes to our cars. The Factory Service Manual is much more comprehensive, and you can actually make out all of the photographs (which Bentley scanned...poorly IMHO). The Bentley is a great quick go-to book, but when I really need serious help figuring out problems or planning maintenance, the (FSM+TIS+web) wins.

The longer you own your car and try to use the Bentley, you will discover that it covers common maintenance items particular to the vehicle, in nearly exclusive fashion, and can leave the mechanic procedurally frustrated in some instances.

Just saying from experience...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
FYI - The Bentley isn't the bible when it comes to our cars. The Factory Service Manual is much more comprehensive, and you can actually make out all of the photographs (which Bentley scanned...poorly IMHO). The Bentley is a great quick go-to book, but when I really need serious help figuring out problems or planning maintenance, the (FSM+TIS+web) wins.

The longer you own your car and try to use the Bentley, you will discover that it covers common maintenance items particular to the vehicle, in nearly exclusive fashion, and can leave the mechanic procedurally frustrated in some instances.

Just saying from experience...
+1. I wish I could get a hold of the FSM (without breaking my wallet).

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM

I appreciate the input!