Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: '92 318i w/ 217k
My brother took it apart, and I don't know where things go (head job)

Ok,I'll start at the beginning, I bought my 1989 525i from my brother mostly apart all that was left was a nut holding on the exhaust manifold and the belts in front with pulleys and covers. I have since put in the new head gasket, # 6 cylinder was leaking at the rear between block and gasket; put new timing belt on and the covers and pulley with dampener and the distributor. now I have to put on the intake manifold, and the entire intake track, which he took off and the wires and coolant tubes that went with is, including two brackets, one full of wires another with a multi-connection plug attached to the full rail which need to be mounted somewhere but I have no clue, unfortunately, neither does my brother as it has been like a year since he took it apart. I have searched bimmerfest forums, google pictures, the bently manual as to any clues as to what these are or where they go, was hoping to maybe find like a "blueprint" if you will of where things went, but I know that is a high hope. I have some pictures from some of what I have done and of the parts I have yet to put in, hopefully these will help anyone else that needs help.

Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
You need someone there to help that is familiar with that engine. looks like it wont be to bad to put back together.make sure all the hoses are correct before installing the manifold. Try RealOE last 7 digits of the vin will enable you to pull up the catalog and schematics on that engine hopefully.http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Last edited by luckydog; 10-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
Search for images of BMW M20 engine and you'll probably get the visual. None currently in my fleet so I cannot oblige myself.

The wire harness attaches right over the fuel rail if I remember correctly.
Finishing another's job is always an adventure.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM

thank you for the link lucky dog, it helps with the coolant. still digging through it trying to find out where the Fuel injector plug bracket and the front wiring harness mount to, might just try putting it together as is and drop it off at a German auto shop near Norristown and let them figure it out, it should last a few hundred miles like that, right?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Still using that link, though I had some issues getting that '89 525i through PA state and emissions inspection and donated it to purple heart (sold at auction for over 500).

It was running loudly, but was running. success for a first time head gasket.

currently have a '92 318i and having emissions issue ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post8532749 ). just been reading other posts and read how people got upset without an update.
I also learned with this car, as opposed to what all previous owners that I talked to of both cars said, that you MUST run premium 90+ octane gasoline (unleaded). and part of the problem with emissions with that 525i was I was running '87 (gotta save the $).

but thank you. here using the link on my brilliant rot '92 318i Snowbal.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Out here I run 98oct in all of mine. Any less and they rattle like a baby's toy.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
Out here I run 98oct in all of mine. Any less and they rattle like a baby's toy.
only times I see anything higher than 93 octane is at an airport.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: '81 745i, '97 540i Dinan
In Europe and Australia, and likely other places, gas is rated by RON, Research Octane Number. American gas is rated (RON+MON)/2 and the Motor Octane Number is typically 10 points lower than the RON.~
So Euro 98 octane = US 93 octane. Euro 95 ~= US 89.