Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Found a few 28i's and 35i's, all loaded but without SAP. I guess people buy these crossovers never think about driving dynamics, only comfort and convenience. Might as well get a GLK350 or an RX350 if that is all they care.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Found a few 28i's and 35i's, all loaded but without SAP. I guess people buy these crossovers never think about driving dynamics, only comfort and convenience. Might as well get a GLK350 or an RX350 if that is all they care.
Most times if you want sport packages, adjustable dampers, etc, you have to order your X3 the way you want it. That's what most of us on here have done. Dealers tend not to order the sport packages. After all, it is an X3, not an M3.

Trust me, if you want to enjoy driving, do not get the GLK nor the RX.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Looks like MB is feeling the X3 heat, they now offer BMW owners a $2,000 conquest discount for the GLK.

Meanwhile my search continues to at least drive an X3 with sport package.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
DTC100

I just took PDC delivery of a 35i with sport package and DHP. When testing prior to ordering I was fortunate enough to be able to try cars with the base, the sports, and sports + DHP packages. Like you I found the base suspension to be under-damped, and had a similar experience with the sports suspension (which I believe is identical to the base - see realoem.com). In any case both lack active suspension components so I don't see how changes in chassis stiffness is possible on going to sport mode in the SAP car. I ended up choosing to order DHP since the adjustable shocks reduced the under-damped condition in the sport mode. I got the sport package for the seats and paddles. My experience after driving the car for ~ 1000 miles is it's under-damped in normal mode, and the extent of under-damping is reduced by going to sport mode. Will it be acceptable to you? Only by finding one to try will you know for sure.

Marty
I'm new to this forum and am trying to figure this out myself. I'm looking to order a fairly loaded 2012 35i very soon. I drove a 2011 35i with SAP. it had the rocker switch to the left of the electronic shifter that would shift between normal,sport and sport+. Now when I went from normal to sport, i definitely felt a change in the performance. It felt more tight or like it had more torque. I liked it. when I was at the dealer placing my order, i was told I would have to order the DHP to get that feature. But the 2011 model didn't have DHP on the sticker. I think he was wrong...am I correct? Well, I would order the DHP if I knew it makes a big difference. Does it make cornering like it's on rails? Is it so stiff that I will feel every pebble in the road? What is performance control? Can you guys help me out on this package. Thanks. Steve.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
As long as you have the Sport Activity Package on the 35i, you get the rocker switch for normal, sport & sport +. You do not need DHP to get the switch. DHP will give you (as quoted from the BMW website):

"Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with DHP there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set."

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 10-18-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Hi,
I picked up my 2011 35i last month. I order the Dynamic Comfort package which allows me to choose normal, sport, sport +. choosing sport definitely tightens the steering and shortens the shifts in the transmission. I didn't need the other options that were included int he sports option package. I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Micheal you confused me with the "dynamic comfort package". I've looked at the 2011 X3 brochure and don't see that package...are you referring to the sport activity package? Or did you get the Dynamic HANDLING package? I think I've read references to the comfort package but because there have been so many closely knit terms maybe I'm thinking about the comfort setting instead.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Micheal you confused me with the "dynamic comfort package". I've looked at the 2011 X3 brochure and don't see that package...are you referring to the sport activity package? Or did you get the Dynamic HANDLING package? I think I've read references to the comfort package but because there have been so many closely knit terms maybe I'm thinking about the comfort setting instead.
He's in Canada where packaging and nomenclature is different. There, the Dynamic Comfort Package is equivalent to the US Dynamic handling Package.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Dynamic Handling is called Dynamic Comfort in Canada..!? Yeah, I know, makes no sense but that's the deal. In Canada, you have to get Dynamic Comfort to get the adjustable dampers.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Thanks No12 for clarification. i only wish we Canadians can pickup our car in south carilina too. Same pricing in the US wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
Please excuse my ignorance BUT; why on earth do freeway drivers need a 'dynamic package'? In England freeways are in the main just 'car parks', while much real driving is done on what we call 'minor roads'. These are roads with 'twisty bits' and real fun to drive on in a vehicle designed for such. However; I have to ask is the X3 (with it's high CoG) the right sort of vehicle to apply a 'go faster' kit to? That said, I do have experience of an F25 fitted with DP and no, I did not spec this for my vehicle as all it did (in my opinion) was to make the ride uncomfortable.

The X3 is no M3 and one might well remember that fact. I am sure that BMW just love to sell the package and then the parts to repair the wreck! Anyway, many thanks for the grin chaps.