Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3
headlight washers

This seems like an option that can break easily. I don't really need heated rear seats but they would be nice at times for passengers. But I've always wondered about the headlight washers. is it a gimmicky option? What if there is a lot of ice and snow on the front end. I go up to Vermont in the winter and the roads can get pretty snowy.
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
There's not much experience for people to report on. The first US 2011 X3's were delivered, I think, in January. Mine was delivered in August, so I have zero winter experience.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 AM

I've seen this on other vehicles and wondered what would happen if the opening in the bumper were covered with a layer of ice or snow when you really needed the headlights cleared.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I ordered them on mine but I won't know how they work until this winter. I thought they would be nice because we get a lot of snow in Wisconsin and they do salt the roads, so I frequently get a layer of road grime on the headlights during winter. Headlight washers have been offered in cars for a long time so I assume they got the bugs worked out with them by now.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:40 AM

since I don't often have rear seat passengers I'm still debating if I want to spend $450 on them. I suppose I could put that to another package option and let the rear seat passengers freeze their butts off until I crash because I couldn't see the road with dirty headlights.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Since you live in a Northern state, I would say go for the headlight washers since y'all do pick up a fair amount of road grime and slush during the winter months which can obscure the headlights and/or distort the headlight beam pattern in a manner that may affect oncoming traffic (this is why headlamp washers are mandatory in Europe with xenon-equipped vehicles). European cars have been using the pop-up headlamp washers for over a decade now, no reason to see why they would malfunction.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 AM

i can already see the bottom line moving up. it'll be a judgement call when I see what the total price is. It iskind of a nice accessory. A lot of times coming back from up north I've wanted to stop to clean them but was too tired and didn't want to get off the interstate.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Hi, I have this option on my 2004 325i....works really well and has never malfunctioned. I don't get a lot of snow in Vancouver, but when I do, I always remove all the snow off the entire bump. If I am driving to Whistler while it is snowing, I take several breaks to remove the buildup of snow in front of the headlight. I hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM

hopefully the mechanism to push up the washer nozzle thru the opening in the bumper is strong enough to push through any snow or ice. I might suspect that if there is alot of snow or ice on the bumper that the door that opens in the bumper might get frozen in the closed position.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
It would depend on the severity of the icing. With snow it shouldn't be an issue but if it's like, 1cm of frozen ice coated across the bumper (i.e freezing rain, and a lot of it), the mechanism would probably stay closed. But I wouldn't worry too much because once it thaws out and/or you chip the ice away, it'll work again. Don't know what price point you're trying to hit; personally I'm not a fan of the cameras (PDC is enough) so that's usually the first thing off my list.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM

AzNMpower32, you know last time I bought my FX I didn't get all the bells and whistles but I did get the sport package and Bose system. I wish I had now but there was one included option that was rear seat DVD player that I didn't want but it came with the $7K option. So i decided not to get it. This time I'll probably load it up but it's the DHP that's pushing me over the edge. On one hand, it sounds pretty cool but it is pushing me beyond where I thought I might be. I liked the way the 2011 drove and that had the SAP but I'm not sure if the 2012 has the same packaging (ie; rocker switch normal,sport,sport+ settings) until I either see one or people who have them on thier 2012 tell me so. I don't think that 2011 had the DHP though. I left a long post on this and would like to get some answers before ordering. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
The X3 35i drove didn't have DHP and I thought the ride was great. Nice and firm but not to rough.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM

DHP was most definitely an option on the 2011 X3's. I'd say about 1/3 of the "posters" on the boards got DHP, while the majority did not. If you get the SAP YOU WILL get the rocker switch for normal, Sport and Sport +. Don't doubt it. Did you see my reply to your other post showing the changes for the 2012's? If you look at the SAP package for the 35i it says it comes with the SPORT TRANSMISSION + paddle shifters.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 10-21-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
DHP was most definitely an option on the 2011 X3's. I'd say about 1/3 of the "posters" on the boards got DHP, while the majority did not. If you get the SAP YOU WILL get the rocker switch for normal, Sport and Sport +. Don't doubt it. Did you see my reply to your other post showing the changes for the 2012's? If you look at the SAP package for the 35i it says it comes with the SPORT TRANSMISSION + paddle shifters.
Yes I did see your other post Thrill. Thanks for the info. I know this has been hashed to death but I'm just joining this parade so ya gotta forgive me if I raise a few eyebrows. I've been reading all the previous posts about numerous things and glad I did. The one MAIN item that I was concerned about was if the SAP included the option to select the different modes (normal,sport) and I think I now feel confident it does. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM

No problem!