Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow M3 **** is-f

This guy posted this...made a good case for the IS-F, especially as to reliability, since it now equals the M3 around tracks like V.I.R., what do you all think (be fair & objective...)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...vs-e92-m3.html

"Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to get some solid opinions on the Lexus IS-F. I'm debating between an E92 M3 or a 2010 IS-F.

I've driven a handful of E92 M3's and one 09' IS-F. Ever since I drove the IS-F, I always seem to find myself on this forum and looking for parts for an IS-F, not an M3.

I'd like to know what Is-F owners love and hate about the IS-F.

Here's some of my past/current projects:

05' BMW 330Ci ZHP...S/C'd"

Last edited by 16n69; 06-25-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Reliability.......hum......let me ponder that. I can tell you, I've had many BMW's starting with a E36 Dinan ///M3. And I have nothing to say about the brand but great job! Yes I've read the horror stories but my personal experience says something else. My cars have been flawless. Now if you are talking about small issues like a final stage resistor or fuel sending unit, then you'll have those. But I really think it boils down to how you maintain your car. Some of the issues you read and hear about are self inflicted by the owner. Others may be issues from the previous owner (if you buy preowned). Now Lexus (Toyota) does have a reputation built on reliability....no question. But they've never been known for performance at a high level. (Supra was the bread and butter for years). Once they start to enter the high performance arena, they too may encounter the gremlins that BMW, Mercedes, and other performance brands have. For me, the IS line (including the F) say high performance Corolla when I see one. You won't see another badge that looks even remotely similar to a ///M3....or any BMW. There's nothing like the joy of driving a ///M car. Now was that fair and objective enough ................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
M3 for Me. Not Lexus ISFA
opinion= natural bias
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
Reliability.......hum......let me ponder that. I can tell you, I've had many BMW's starting with a E36 Dinan ///M3. And I have nothing to say about the brand but great job! Yes I've read the horror stories but my personal experience says something else. My cars have been flawless. Now if you are talking about small issues like a final stage resistor or fuel sending unit, then you'll have those. But I really think it boils down to how you maintain your car. Some of the issues you read and hear about are self inflicted by the owner. Others may be issues from the previous owner (if you buy preowned). Now Lexus (Toyota) does have a reputation built on reliability....no question. But they've never been known for performance at a high level. (Supra was the bread and butter for years). Once they start to enter the high performance arena, they too may encounter the gremlins that BMW, Mercedes, and other performance brands have. For me, the IS line (including the F) say high performance Corolla when I see one. You won't see another badge that looks even remotely similar to a ///M3....or any BMW. There's nothing like the joy of driving a ///M car. Now was that fair and objective enough ................Phil
ha...lol, I would say so...("Now was that fair and objective enough")
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
The auto transmission spoiled the LS-F for me. Now if either the C63 AMG or the LS-F came out with a stick...might be a different story. For me, it's the M3. This is my 8th BMW and 6th M car in 16 years...loved every car.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
The IS-F is a really fine first effort by Lexus. Actually, I was really looking forward to it when it was announced and was one of the first to test drive it.

A few things against IS-F:

1. The look. For the record, I think the non-F version of the IS looks just fine, but Lexus just went overboard with the IS-F. I realize it's subjective, but looks too much like a boy-racer, while the M3 looks very purposeful and understated.

2. As Jim in OR already mentioned, there is no manual tranny available. That's a HUGE no-no. The transmission is OK, but I found it to be annoying (not always in the right gear no matter what I did).

3. The engine. There simply isn't any substitute for a high-rev'ing M engine. While the Yamaha-tuned Lexus 5L V8 is good, there is nothing like the V8 in the M3.

4. The overall balance. The M3, while heavy, feels balanced when pushed. The IS-F on the other hand has too many electronic interventions and feels very artificial.

I don't know what the IS-F clubbies are smoking, but there is no way IS-F is faster around any imaginable track (comparing stock-to-stock).

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
The IS-F is a really fine first effort by Lexus. Actually, I was really looking forward to it when it was announced and was one of the first to test drive it.

A few things against IS-F:

1. The look. For the record, I think the non-F version of the IS looks just fine, but Lexus just went overboard with the IS-F. I realize it's subjective, but looks too much like a boy-racer, while the M3 looks very purposeful and understated.

2. As Jim in OR already mentioned, there is no manual tranny available. That's a HUGE no-no. The transmission is OK, but I found it to be annoying (not always in the right gear no matter what I did).

3. The engine. There simply isn't any substitute for a high-rev'ing M engine. While the Yamaha-tuned Lexus 5L V8 is good, there is nothing like the V8 in the M3.

4. The overall balance. The M3, while heavy, feels balanced when pushed. The IS-F on the other hand has too many electronic interventions and feels very artificial.

I don't know what the IS-F clubbies are smoking, but there is no way IS-F is faster around any imaginable track (comparing stock-to-stock).
they are saying...and quoting the C&D Feb. article entitled "Lightening Lap" were the updated, 2011 IS-F matched the M3 time around the track.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
they are saying...and quoting the C&D Feb. article entitled "Lightening Lap" were the updated, 2011 IS-F matched the M3 time around the track.
Ah... I missed the mid-life update. It seems like the IS-F got some welcome and significant changes (e.g. new LSD and suspension). This is giving me something to do this weekend (i.e. test drive the 2011 IS-F).

The C&D article sounds a little too good to be true though, but if it is true, lots of kudos to Lexus.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim in oregon View Post
the auto transmission spoiled the ls-f for me. Now if either the c63 amg or the ls-f came out with a stick...might be a different story. For me, it's the m3. This is my 8th bmw and 6th m car in 16 years...loved every car.
+2
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
If they have to revise the suspension mid life because it sucked (it did), then that is a big question mark for a car company that has has done nothing (until the last year or so) in terms of sports motoring since the late 90s.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: ///M
I'm a fair comparison guy. While the IS-F really is very impressive and has had some nice little changes for its mid-production its just not the same kind of car. I wonder if the newest one has better handling. I think the reason why the M3 is more exciting because you can push the car to its full limits with more precision and confidence. I'm sure the in the next gen the IS-F will start closing the gap between them. Still a pretty cool car.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Ah... I missed the mid-life update. It seems like the IS-F got some welcome and significant changes (e.g. new LSD and suspension). This is giving me something to do this weekend (i.e. test drive the 2011 IS-F).

The C&D article sounds a little too good to be true though, but if it is true, lots of kudos to Lexus.
I would be REALLY interested in what you think...after the 2011 "F" test drive...
...IT is the 2011 "F" that had me considering...NOT any other year!!!
I should have "prefaced" ALL my M3 vs. "F" posts with that.
the other years IS-F were "turkeys"
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I had read that article and one has to give kudos to 2011 Lexus IS-F for making things right the second go around. But to be fair BMW has not been just sitting on it butt and has also brought out competition pkg not to mention optional performance exhaust etc. to give the M3 a little more flair and performance.

IS-F vs M3....give me the M3 if for nothing else but for that fantastic high revving engine.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
IS-F just looks like a chunky Japanese car with aftermarket hood, side skirts and exhaust tips slapped on. The side vent is a horrible design that looks like a cheap afterthought. Overall, it looks like some of the over-the-top aftermarket kits for the E9X. In comparison, the M3's styling looks far more integrated and complete. Judging from what the guy in the OP's link did to the outside of that poor Subaru I can understand his attraction to the IS-F.

Also, with regards to the claims about reliability. Do a search and you'll see that the M3 is BMW's most reliable car.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
I really enjoyed my 2 IS-Fs, but there's something about that DCT and planted feeling. Now, the '11 and new '12 continue to improve suspenison, which is encouraging. But for now, looking forward to my first M3.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Arrow

Quote:

Hey there enigma...did you get to test drive a 2011 F ?
I would be interested in YOUR opinion?
I was impressed at the difference between the '09 i drove and the 2011.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by PhillyNate; 10-19-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
YES...correct, and it is a shame BMW is screwing up the M3 design and abandoning such a great engine, instead of improving on it, which they could, if they wanted to