Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Hardwiring a radar detector in an F25

You knew this had to show up sooner or later.

I have hardwired my radar detector in my last 3 BMW's to a switched power source up in the light console. Real easy to do as there was always good instructions on the forums.

So, now I have a brand new X3 XD28 sitting in my garage. Since it is a really new model, I have not seen any early posts on how to remove the light console without destroying it, or a nice choice of wire to tap into. Usually a butter knife and cloth to act as a buffer will do the job, and then a 12V tester will allow me to locate the power.

But, I figured I'd ask around before I took out the butter knife. Any early adopters out there?

About the new X3... deep sea blue metallic and chestnut (more like cinnamon, if you ask me), with all the sport activity package (did not like the base wheels), convenience package (I had comfort access on my last one and got spoiled), the Premium package, and after years of having friends goad me, the Technology package.

So far very impressive. It arrived 3 weeks after I ordered it and the digital video was a nice touch.

Interesting to note that the alternator was made by Nippondenso (Japan), the radiator hoses by Bridgestone. I think it said 22% of the car was from US/Canada and 34% (engine/transmission) was from Germany. Hope it has the quality of my past BMWs.

Seems to drive great, the paint is flawless, and just like all my past BMWs, the electronic features have a mind of their own.

Any thoughts on the radar detector hardwire would be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Just ordered my X3 a week ago and will be looking to hardwire my radar detector into the sunroof wiring. I did exactly that on my E36 M3 and it was a very clean install. I would expect it will be fairly easy to remove the sunroof switch panel and find a hot wire to tap in to......hopefully. If anyone does this, a couple of pics and a write-up would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM

I have an ETK (Electronic parts catalog) on its way to me via the mail. Hopefully there will be a "blow-up" of the overhead light console that will allow be to figure out how to drop it down, so that I can get at the wiring. Then, all I have to do is figure which wire has 12V switched power (used to be green/white in previous BMWs) and figure out the best way to run the detector's (fused) power wire behind the visor and done.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanintx View Post
I have an ETK (Electronic parts catalog) on its way to me via the mail. Hopefully there will be a "blow-up" of the overhead light console that will allow be to figure out how to drop it down, so that I can get at the wiring. Then, all I have to do is figure which wire has 12V switched power (used to be green/white in previous BMWs) and figure out the best way to run the detector's (fused) power wire behind the visor and done.
Be very very careful with this. Anything goes wrong with your new X3 and BMWNA and your dealer will blame it on your wiring.

I had one idiot tell me the transmission issus of the famous AT lag back in 07 where due to my stereo installation.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to M Power
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
I just hardwired a blackbox in my X5 and it was relatively easy (a few threads over at the other x forum). I figure similar steps are involved in X3 since sunroof console looks very similar to my X5 but I've not got the heart to dissect this little bad girl just yet. Perhaps after its break in period...
2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
2001 M5 -sold-
2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
2000 M Roadster -sold-
1995 325is -sold-
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks! I found a post for a 2011 550 and learned that it appears to have the same overhead lighting console as the F25. I am still kind of hesitant, even though I've done it, very easily, in my past 2 BMWs - an E39 and an e93. It looks like the plastic piece (beige in my car) that surrounds the lighting and switch panel (Black) just pops down as it is held in with 6 metal clips.

Last edited by alanintx; 02-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM

I just finished the job, after procrastinating a while, and hardwired my V1 into a power source up in the light console. The task is very similar to the mod described in the F10 forum. Definitely more difficult than when i did it on my previous BMW's - more wires up there, and removing the light console is not as easy.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
I just finished the job, after procrastinating a while, and hardwired my V1 into a power source up in the light console. The task is very similar to the mod described in the F10 forum. Definitely more difficult than when i did it on my previous BMW's - more wires up there, and removing the light console is not as easy.
Not throwing any errors? Can we see some pictures? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Zero errors and everything still appears to be functioning normally. Why should there be errors? Just tapping off of an existing switched 12V supply (pretty sure it is for the Homelink). The only potential for errors, that I read about, were related to removing power to the BMW Assist/Telematics wiring, which I steered clear of.

If you could give me a hint on how to post pictures, I can show the finished product. However, the installation tasks were very similar to the pictures at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=515517.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
-Which wire did you use for power? The install has been a piece of cake for me except for that one crucial missing detail!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Glad to hear it was a piece of cake. I used the green and brown wire in the bundle that heads down to the rear view mirror. I believe, but I am not sure, that this powers the Homelink garage door opener. Look at the link to the F10 forum a couple of posts above, as there is a good detailed description in that thread.

Attached are the pictures of the finished product (now that I figured out how to add pictures).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hw1.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	297824   Click image for larger version

Name:	HW2.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	297825  
Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Glad to hear it was a piece of cake. I used the green and brown wire in the bundle that heads down to the rear view mirror. I believe, but I am not sure, that this powers the Homelink garage door opener. Look at the link to the F10 forum a couple of posts above, as there is a good detailed description in that thread.

Attached are the pictures of the finished product (now that I figured out how to add pictures).
-Thanks. I'll check out that green/brown wire...
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Success! Amazing how easy it is when you know which wire to tap. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Success! Amazing how easy it is when you know which wire to tap. Thanks again!
Congratulations. Glad to hear this, Now we know it is not a fluke!

Just make sure you fuse the connection to the v1 and figure out a way to hide all the extra wires. The ground should have been straightforward as there was a cast iron bolt in full view and easy reach..
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Finally got around to hardwiring my radar detector. The hardest part was removing the overhead console.

There is always a clever design with BMW's and the overhead console is no exception. Essentially, the console is held in place by two metal spring tabs near the windshield and two metal tabs about midway on the sides of the console. The tabs on the sides are not close to the edge so they are hard to access. The easy way to access the side tabs is to remove the "D" shaped trim piece from the console itself. It is held in place with 6 small plastic tabs. When the "D" trim is removed, you can see the bottom of the metal spring tabs on the side of the console. Insert a screwdriver and move the bottom of the spring tab to the middle of the console while pulling down a little. They will release pretty easy.

You want to work from the windshield to the back of the car when removing the console. The end of the console away from the windshield is inserted into the headliner so it comes out last.

The "D" shaped trim piece can be removed fairly easily. I used a plastic trim removal tool so as not to mar the plastic. Once you get one tab to release just keep working along one at a time.

Enclosed are a few pics......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	442649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	442650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg