Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Retrofitting Homelink Mirror

Anyone out there familiar with retrofitting a Homelink mirror to an F10 that didn't come with Homelink. My car's rear view mirror has the Alarm Light, and autodimming.
Please PM me or if there is a good link, send it my way.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Ok, so this isn't as easy as most think. It looks like pin 3 is +12v switched and pin 10 is the ground on the mirror with Homelink that I purchased, the same is what I measure on my existing harness. I can make the mirror work using a drill battery, but when I plug it in, my windshield wipers start up and I get a windshield malfunction warning light. Also the light doesn't come on when I press on of the Homelink buttons. Weird. When I hooked up 12 volts to pin 3, and the return to pin 10 using a 12 volt drill battery, the homelink light comes on, and the autodim feature works.

My existing harness has leads also going to pin 6 and pin 9. Pin 9 shows 5-6 volts on it when the doors are locked, but I don't know what pin 6 is. I thought there was a lead to disable the autodimming while in reverse. I don't measure any voltage change on pin 6 when I put the car in reverse.

Any help?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I never thought this would be easy. As many have found out, there aren't many plug and play components in this car. Almost all hardware is somehow controlled or linked to software. People trying to retrofit small things are finding out the hard way, it's easier and cheaper to sell the car and buy a new one.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Very easy to retrofit:

Inside the glove box, all the way to the back and to the right, there is a small hidden door that you can open with a vertical latch, just lift the latch and remove the door.

Behind it, you will be able to see a fuse box.

Using the Add-a-circuit mini-fuse adapter (about $10.00 at any auto supply store) remove fuse #48 (5 amp) and replace it with the add-a-circuit mini-fuse. Add 2 5-amp fuses to the adapter.

Route a wire all the way from the mirror behind the headliner, following the windshield all the way to the right, go down behind the windshield pillar and then go inside behind the glovebox by removing the right cover, which just pops off.

Connect that cable to the wire lead of the add-a-circuit fuse. That is your switched 12V supply. For the ground, just drill a small hole on the metal frame that you will find behind the right cover that you removed before. Attach a screw to that hole and tie the ground from the cable you just routed there.

Use this cable to power your home link circuit in your new mirror. You should not have any error messages or wipers going crazy. You are having problems because the circuit you are tapping right now does not have enough current to drive the wiper sensor + auto dimming mirror + home link. By removing the home link and giving it its own circuit you should have no problems at all.

I used this exact same setup to hardwire my Valentine 1 to my car. I will try to post some pics this weekend if needed.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm assuming you have a 528 or 535. Fuse 48 does not work for 550. For a 550 you need fuse 57.

If you need to know which is fuse 48, there is a fuse map in the trunk, folded inside the fuse box in the trunk.

Oh, and yes, I've done this before...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...268#post199268

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21492

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21434
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...