Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
stiff lower back?

I drove a X3 with the SAP. I probably only drove it for about 10-15 miles over rough roads but when I got out my lower back felt a bit stiff. During the test drive i played around with the seat back settings and thought that the lumbar was way out but it wasn't. I kept playing around with it during the drive. I'm wondering if anyone else ever experienced that coming from a non-BMW vehicle that may not have as supportive seats. Now I could be smoking something and imagining this but I've noticed it on previous test drives.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I drove a X3 with the SAP. I probably only drove it for about 10-15 miles over rough roads but when I got out my lower back felt a bit stiff. During the test drive i played around with the seat back settings and thought that the lumbar was way out but it wasn't. I kept playing around with it during the drive. I'm wondering if anyone else ever experienced that coming from a non-BMW vehicle that may not have as supportive seats. Now I could be smoking something and imagining this but I've noticed it on previous test drives.
More than likely the RFT's. I have broken my back 3 times and drive an 08 MT currently. After driving the new X3 for about 30 minutes I felt like someone took a baseball bat to my back.

I dont have that problem with my current X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM

wow thanks Evlengr. what is an 08 MT? You say you don't have that problem with your current X3...but it looks like your getting a new one?? Did I miss something here? Do you think part of the problem is the current X3's sport seats?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
I have had a back problem for years, and have driven new BMW's for years NO Problems at all. Thats over some long distances also.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM

I have driven my FX 1100 miles without stopping (well I DID have to stop for gas and coffee ) and my back never complained. Maybe I should have played around with the lumbar settings more. they go up and down as well as in and out which is pretty cool. The seat is probably firmer than mine so my back may not be used to it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Had an Acura RL for three years, any drive over 200 miles caused me to feel like I couldn't straighten up. Had to stop and walk around for a bit to unbend. Horrible seats! OTOH Tahoe and 06 X3 seats will allow me to go from Tucson to San Jose (about 900 miles) with just pit stops and no back problems. Much better seats in those IMHO. Generally speaking the german seats are very good and I would expect the new X3 seats to be as good as the previous ones. Unless of course some bright spark in the accounting department found a way to cut some pefnnigs from the cost!

Last edited by UncleJ; 10-26-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm in the process of arranging an extended drive. Thanks.