Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
I leased a 35d last November. This past week, on my first service visit after being nagged constantly by the DEF warning for a week, I noticed that my dealer was renewing leases. I was able to get into a 2012 35i Premium with more options, for the exact same monthly payment, with only first month and partial taxes down (this also included another free year of Sirius, new registration (mine was up), an extra year on a lease, and not having to repair the front bumper where someone ripped out my front license plate frame!)

I was not a fan of the diesel from the beginning for a few reasons that may or may not apply to you:

The difference in the engine noise was dramatic to me. At idle, it's much louder, especially if you're in drive-thru line or somewhere where there is anything to the sides to bounce sound back to you. I'm not sure it's much louder driving at speed but the engine note is much different. It always sounded like it was out of tune to me. I hated it. Accelerating also often sounded like there was metal grinding on metal. The noise was a big issue for me. I never felt happy driving the car because of the sound.

Getting diesel was rarely a problem around where I live, but when it was it was annoying. Traveling outside of my area for example, was not fun. If I could locate a car diesel pump, it wasn't a problem, but often I was left with truck pumps, and I inevitably ended back up in the car with diesel all over my shoes and the smell just added to the stress.

The steering always felt heavy and sluggish to me. I even over-inflated the tires by 2PSI to try to make up for it. It was great when you are driving on the highway or pushing the engine, but slow turns and whatnot just felt off. The heavy steering did not give me any greater sense of the road than I had in my previous X3 with active steering. It could be that the 18" wheels contributed to this but I'm very happy I'm getting the active steering on the 35i. Loved it on my X3.

Driving in D mode also felt sluggish, even with the extra torque. Driving in DS mode, though, was great. Really showed with the engine could do. In DS, everything felt smoother, faster, and more appropriate for the engine. So, I drove mostly in DS, but that took away some of the mileage advantage. The 8-speed in the 35i does a better job, I think, but I will probably miss some of the power in DS mode.

The constant DEF warning with a 1000 miles left was really annoying. I drive about 1000 miles a month or less, so that's a month's worth of constant reminders that don't go away until you click them away.

In the end, I think I like driving the car with an eye towards working the engine and gears (downshifting, etc.), so I am fine with less torque at lower revs. I don't know that I'd have turned in the diesel if it would have cost more but I'm happy I did and I wouldn't buy another unless they work on the sound.