Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
I leased a 35d last November. This past week, on my first service visit after being nagged constantly by the DEF warning for a week, I noticed that my dealer was renewing leases. I was able to get into a 2012 35i Premium with more options, for the exact same monthly payment, with only first month and partial taxes down (this also included another free year of Sirius, new registration (mine was up), an extra year on a lease, and not having to repair the front bumper where someone ripped out my front license plate frame!)

I was not a fan of the diesel from the beginning for a few reasons that may or may not apply to you:

The difference in the engine noise was dramatic to me. At idle, it's much louder, especially if you're in drive-thru line or somewhere where there is anything to the sides to bounce sound back to you. I'm not sure it's much louder driving at speed but the engine note is much different. It always sounded like it was out of tune to me. I hated it. Accelerating also often sounded like there was metal grinding on metal. The noise was a big issue for me. I never felt happy driving the car because of the sound.

Getting diesel was rarely a problem around where I live, but when it was it was annoying. Traveling outside of my area for example, was not fun. If I could locate a car diesel pump, it wasn't a problem, but often I was left with truck pumps, and I inevitably ended back up in the car with diesel all over my shoes and the smell just added to the stress.

The steering always felt heavy and sluggish to me. I even over-inflated the tires by 2PSI to try to make up for it. It was great when you are driving on the highway or pushing the engine, but slow turns and whatnot just felt off. The heavy steering did not give me any greater sense of the road than I had in my previous X3 with active steering. It could be that the 18" wheels contributed to this but I'm very happy I'm getting the active steering on the 35i. Loved it on my X3.

Driving in D mode also felt sluggish, even with the extra torque. Driving in DS mode, though, was great. Really showed with the engine could do. In DS, everything felt smoother, faster, and more appropriate for the engine. So, I drove mostly in DS, but that took away some of the mileage advantage. The 8-speed in the 35i does a better job, I think, but I will probably miss some of the power in DS mode.

The constant DEF warning with a 1000 miles left was really annoying. I drive about 1000 miles a month or less, so that's a month's worth of constant reminders that don't go away until you click them away.

In the end, I think I like driving the car with an eye towards working the engine and gears (downshifting, etc.), so I am fine with less torque at lower revs. I don't know that I'd have turned in the diesel if it would have cost more but I'm happy I did and I wouldn't buy another unless they work on the sound.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
The difference in the engine noise was dramatic to me. At idle, it's much louder, especially if you're in drive-thru line or somewhere where there is anything to the sides to bounce sound back to you. I'm not sure it's much louder driving at speed but the engine note is much different. It always sounded like it was out of tune to me. I hated it. Accelerating also often sounded like there was metal grinding on metal. The noise was a big issue for me. I never felt happy driving the car because of the sound.

Getting diesel was rarely a problem around where I live, but when it was it was annoying. Traveling outside of my area for example, was not fun. If I could locate a car diesel pump, it wasn't a problem, but often I was left with truck pumps, and I inevitably ended back up in the car with diesel all over my shoes and the smell just added to the stress.

The steering always felt heavy and sluggish to me. I even over-inflated the tires by 2PSI to try to make up for it. It was great when you are driving on the highway or pushing the engine, but slow turns and whatnot just felt off. The heavy steering did not give me any greater sense of the road than I had in my previous X3 with active steering. It could be that the 18" wheels contributed to this but I'm very happy I'm getting the active steering on the 35i. Loved it on my X3.

Driving in D mode also felt sluggish, even with the extra torque. Driving in DS mode, though, was great. Really showed with the engine could do. In DS, everything felt smoother, faster, and more appropriate for the engine. So, I drove mostly in DS, but that took away some of the mileage advantage. The 8-speed in the 35i does a better job, I think, but I will probably miss some of the power in DS mode.

The constant DEF warning with a 1000 miles left was really annoying. I drive about 1000 miles a month or less, so that's a month's worth of constant reminders that don't go away until you click them away.

I also cannot get past the FEDEX truck under X5 disguise.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
I leased a 35d last November. . . .

I was not a fan of the diesel from the beginning for a few reasons that may or may not apply to you:

The difference in the engine noise was dramatic to me . . .

Getting diesel was rarely a problem around where I live, but when it was it was annoying. . . .

The steering always felt heavy and sluggish to me . . .

Driving in D mode also felt sluggish, even with the extra torque. Driving in DS mode, though, was great. Really showed with the engine could do. In DS, everything felt smoother, faster, and more appropriate for the engine. So, I drove mostly in DS, but that took away some of the mileage advantage. . . .

The constant DEF warning with a 1000 miles left was really annoying . . .
Tlon, thanks for the write up . . . the points you raise are indeed very valid and are CERTAINLY the ones that one should consider before venturing into a diesel for the first time.

Just out of curiosity - given what you knew about diesels, what were the reasons that got you to try a diesel?

I have a 2011 X5d and my other car is an 8-cylinder, 4.8L petrol engine. You are right about the noise - particularly the note they produce . . . IMO they are both very nice in their own respective ways, can't say I like one better than the other.

Regarding DEF warning, sorry to hear about that, I read that was a software glitch and is now fixed. I have ~24,000 miles on mine, never had an issue, and I have gone through two DEF refills during routine service visits.

Diesel availability was never an issue for me - most of the branded fuels (Shell, Chevron, etc) all list their stations and the fuel they offer. Here is the Chevron website. Most also have a smartphone app showing the same info. I have never had to stop at a truck stop and got messy like you indicate.

Improved mileage IMO cannot be overlooked . . . for me, it translates to fewer visits to the pump!

Again thanks for the write - as mentioned earlier these are DEFINITELY the relevant issues one should consider before getting into a diesel.

My next X5 (say 8-10 years from now) will hopefully be a diesel-hybrid! Wishful thinking - doubt BMW will produce a diesel-hybrid.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I would say go for the diesel if: you want amazing acceleration at any speed(I accidentally took my x5d from 55 to 90 in around 1.8 seconds..got a speeding ticket for that), and better gas mileage(as you said), also if you don't mind using dirty diesel nozzels at he pump

Go for the petrol on the other hand if you want: an x5 that revs more than 5500 rpm(redline), and you want the deep sound of gasoline rather than the ticking of diesel(you can't hear the diesel ticking inside the cabin but outside it's pretty noticeable), the petrol will not accelerate as fast as the diesel though

Last edited by Bimmerx53; 10-28-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Remembered a few more things about the diesel
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Tlon, thanks for the write up . . . the points you raise are indeed very valid and are CERTAINLY the ones that one should consider before venturing into a diesel for the first time.

Just out of curiosity - given what you knew about diesels, what were the reasons that got you to try a diesel?

I have a 2011 X5d and my other car is an 8-cylinder, 4.8L petrol engine. You are right about the noise - particularly the note they produce . . . IMO they are both very nice in their own respective ways, can't say I like one better than the other.

Regarding DEF warning, sorry to hear about that, I read that was a software glitch and is now fixed. I have ~24,000 miles on mine, never had an issue, and I have gone through two DEF refills during routine service visits.

Diesel availability was never an issue for me - most of the branded fuels (Shell, Chevron, etc) all list their stations and the fuel they offer. Here is the Chevron website. Most also have a smartphone app showing the same info. I have never had to stop at a truck stop and got messy like you indicate.

Improved mileage IMO cannot be overlooked . . . for me, it translates to fewer visits to the pump!

Again thanks for the write - as mentioned earlier these are DEFINITELY the relevant issues one should consider before getting into a diesel.

My next X5 (say 8-10 years from now) will hopefully be a diesel-hybrid! Wishful thinking - doubt BMW will produce a diesel-hybrid.
Hi there.

I actually didn't know much about diesels when I leased my 35d. It was my first. My one test drive was in less than ideal circumstances, including having a idling 18-wheeler at the dealer so I attributed the idle sound to that and not the car. I was also backed into a corner on the end (and extension) of my previous lease and had to jump quickly. The diesels (and diesel fuel) were cheaper at the time, got better mileage, and had a tax credit, so I gave it a go. But I immediately knew the car wasn't for me. I actually called the dealer the next business day to see if I could return it for a 35i Premium, but was told it was too late. I tried to love it for a year, and honestly driving in DS mode did give me pause -- the car is meant for the gear ratio -- about letting it go.

But the engine just never sounded right to me. I tend to be somewhat in tune with the engine. Years of driving a manual, I guess. The engine sound just always bothered me. Always felt off.

I don't drive enough (about 10k a year) to make the extra mpg a huge deal, though it does of course help and was really amazing on long car rides. I was able to make a trip that used to require one-two stops with no stops. Amazing. With the rising diesel prices, though, it's little actual savings for me now. If I was doing mostly highway driving, I'd probably stick with the diesel.

I do have a few of the fuel finders for my iPhone, and most of the time it was fine. I had a handful of problems in more rural areas when traveling out of town, though. The fuel finders also didn't distinguish between car pumps or truck stops.

All this said, If I hadn't got the new 35i for the same monthly payment, I wouldn't have made the swap. It was too good a deal to pass up, and I got a bunch of additional options and a newer car.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
the petrol will not accelerate as fast as the diesel
WRONG

Official BMW Numbers:
35i 6.4 0-60
35d 6.9 0-60

Retired

Current
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
WRONG

Official BMW Numbers:
35i 6.4 0-60
35d 6.9 0-60
What's your issue? Acceleration is NOT just about 0-60 times. What about 50-80 or 50-100?

Unless you have owned both cars or driven both extensively (like Tion) I don't think the negative commentary helps. Also the one word replies and "baby-art" are an unwanted addition.

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)

Last edited by Matt_UKTX; 10-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Hi there.

I actually didn't know much about diesels when I leased my 35d. It was my first. My one test drive was in less than ideal circumstances, including having a idling 18-wheeler at the dealer so I attributed the idle sound to that and not the car. I was also backed into a corner on the end (and extension) of my previous lease and had to jump quickly. The diesels (and diesel fuel) were cheaper at the time, got better mileage, and had a tax credit, so I gave it a go. But I immediately knew the car wasn't for me. . . . But the engine just never sounded right to me. I tend to be somewhat in tune with the engine. Years of driving a manual, I guess. . . . I was able to make a trip that used to require one-two stops with no stops. Amazing. . . .
All this said, If I hadn't got the new 35i for the same monthly payment, I wouldn't have made the swap.
Thanks for the detailed response. Folks debating whether to go for a diesel or a petrol will surely find your posts useful . . . at the very least they will know what to look out for when they go for their diesel test drive!

I know the feeling about being "in tune with the engine" . . . I learned how to drive on a stick shift with no AC. Very quickly I got used to shifting gears based on the "engine sound"! It took me a few days to get used to a car with an AC . . . initially my shifts were like a beginner shifting gears!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but this site (http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html) lists the following:

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 14.4
2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35d 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter Mile 15.0

This does suggest the 50-80 might not be as fast. Then again, they may not be accurate. What I do know is that at 60mph, if you step on the pedal in the 35d, it moves. No hesitation. Very comforting feeling.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
What's your issue? Acceleration is NOT just about 0-60 times. What about 50-80 or 50-100?

Unless you have owned both cars or driven both expensively (like Tion) I don't think the negative commentary helps. Also the one word replies and "baby-art" are an unwanted addition.
Man, lighten up, you drive a 2012 BMW not a 74 Caddy.

I posted facts given out by BMW, not something I made up........... and I also posted my personal opinion of the d, sounds like a FEDEX truck. Why are you so thin skinned my friend? Does the whole world have to be following your flow?

Retired

Current

Last edited by 0428; 10-28-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Man, lighten up, you drive a 2012 BMW not a 74 Caddy.

I posted facts given out by BMW, not something I made up........... and I also posted my personal opinion of the d, sounds like a FEDEX truck. Why are you so thin skinned my friend? Does the whole world have to be following your flow?
Not at all... I'm not mad at you, I just wondered why you're ragging on the 35d so much

I hear what you are saying, but calling it a FedEx Truck is a little extreme. OK, you don't like the diesel sound, I get it, but I personally love it. It sounds meaty and strong. That's me...

I don't think these diesels sound anything like trucks or buses though. Just my two cents

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5
AutoUnion is right on. One thing I noticed, that perhaps is unique to me, but the ride is different. When you order the sport package, which I think is very desirable, the sport suspension is deleted on the 35d. The ride of the 35i that I test drove was jarring at best. The 35i "crashed" into and over potholes, while the 35d was more compliant. I like the torque in the 30-60 range of the diesel, but the 35i is a bit faster off the line. Both have significant turbo lag that may surprise you when you are off boost, such as halfway through an intersection. The diesel is actually quieter on the highway. If the diesel had not been available, I would not have purchased an x5. Probably would have waited for the new ML diesel.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
one useful tidbit I didn't see mentioned. You can program the nav to list local diesel stations.

I've had my 35d since Nov 09 and have been very satisfied. I'm in the efficient dynamics camp. No bimmer can beat x5d in that department. if you are concerned about the urea system, do a bit of research. It's a proven technology and is widely adopted in the automotive industry.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
one useful tidbit I didn't see mentioned. You can program the nav to list local diesel stations.

I've had my 35d since Nov 09 and have been very satisfied. I'm in the efficient dynamics camp. No bimmer can beat x5d in that department. if you are concerned about the urea system, do a bit of research. It's a proven technology and is widely adopted in the automotive industry.
I would just suggest being careful with this. I did that and found that a lot of the stations were incorrectly listed as diesel. The iPhone apps were a lot more accurate.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
one useful tidbit I didn't see mentioned. You can program the nav to list local diesel stations. . . .
Is this an iDrive setting? If so, I missed the obvious! How do you do this? Do you need to subscribe to BMW Assist?

I always used the smartphone to look up the pumps with diesel . . . most of the time I just look for the green price board.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Is this an iDrive setting? If so, I missed the obvious! How do you do this? Do you need to subscribe to BMW Assist?

I always used the smartphone to look up the pumps with diesel . . . most of the time I just look for the green price board.
If you do a category search on your current location for fuel, you can limit the search to just diesel (Can't remember if you have to hit the option key or not to get this filter). You can then save this search to one of the 6 programmable buttons. Then, each time you hit the button it will do a new search on your area. Also helpful for Starbucks locations :-)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
If you do a category search on your current location for fuel, you can limit the search to just diesel (Can't remember if you have to hit the option key or not to get this filter). You can then save this search to one of the 6 programmable buttons. Then, each time you hit the button it will do a new search on your area. Also helpful for Starbucks locations :-)
Thanks. Just programmed one of the open buttons to do this for the fun of it.

Here is how you set up the diesel search page - starting from the iDrive home screen:

Select Nav screen => Points of Interest => Category Search => Category => Car => Fuel Station => Category Details => Fuel Type => Diesel.

You cannot hot-key anything after Category . . . but if the last search you did was for diesel fuel, all of the fields subsequent to Category will be set to locate fuel stations that sell diesel.

I sure would have paid money to be in the room when the BMW engineer who designed this UI reviewed this UI design with the late Steve Jobs . . . this is surely not "an amazing" design!

Of course for Mr. Jobs anything less than this would be simply "un-amazing"!

Last edited by RPsX5d; 10-31-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
Not at all... I'm not mad at you, I just wondered why you're ragging on the 35d so much

I hear what you are saying, but calling it a FedEx Truck is a little extreme. OK, you don't like the diesel sound, I get it, but I personally love it. It sounds meaty and strong. That's me...

I don't think these diesels sound anything like trucks or buses though. Just my two cents

Retired

Current
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
is what life is ..

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Why I picked the diesel over the 35i:

1. better, more usable power in every day life
2. significantly better MPG
3. better range (that "Diesel stations are hard to find" excuse is just pure ****)
4. higher residuals (diesels are holding value much more than the 35i)
5. costs about the same
6. rarer
7. better on the highway than the 35i
8. more reliable. it's a proven powertrain that's been in use overseas for a long time.
I agree and would add that I can pull a fairly heavy load with no significant increase in MPG.

Present: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
Present: 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Track)
Retired: 2007 Subaru Outback H6
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Once I went diesel, I don't think I could ever go back. People complaining about the sound are upset they don't have a sports car sound coming from an SUV. The diesel sounds like a truck, and I like it that way, sounds powerful. The torque is addicting and so is going 600 miles on one fuel tank. 425lbs/torque in the diesel vs 300lbs/torque in the gasser is a BIG difference especially when it comes to moving a 5000lb vehicle with passengers.It has 41% more Torque which is what moves the car. ALL the power is available from about 1600 rpms-3200 rpms meaning its right there ready to use. I thouroughly enjoy blowing by cars when needed, but get embarrassed having to rev the engine to do so, with the diesel it quick and effortless when passing, tap the pedal and go. Torque is what moves the car, horsepower is about moving up the rpm band, which u dont really do in an SUV. Go Diesel. Diesel is everywhere nowadays if u live in any normal area. Also not sure how long u plan on keeping it, but diesels get better with age.
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav

Last edited by Stussy109; 11-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Once I went diesel, I don't think I could ever go back. People complaining about the sound are upset they don't have a sports car sound coming from an SUV. The diesel sounds like a truck, and I like it that way, sounds powerful. The torque is addicting and so is going 600 miles on one fuel tank. 425lbs/torque in the diesel vs 300lbs/torque in the gasser is a BIG difference especially when it comes to moving a 5000lb vehicle with passengers.It has 41% more Torque which is what moves the car. ALL the power is available from about 1600 rpms-3200 rpms meaning its right there ready to use. I thouroughly enjoy blowing by cars when needed, but get embarrassed having to rev the engine to do so, with the diesel it quick and effortless when passing, tap the pedal and go. Torque is what moves the car, horsepower is about moving up the rpm band, which u dont really do in an SUV. Go Diesel. Diesel is everywhere nowadays if u live in any normal area. Also not sure how long u plan on keeping it, but diesels get better with age.
Lol a friend of mine complimented my 2010 m3 sound as truck so it is all subjective. As long as you are happy who cares? My son calls 550gt ugly child of BMW but IMHO it drives and handles better than any thing with that engine, x6 is called ugly, misfit. I just saw little m1 and it is no looker , no offense!

People all mini coopers frogs...so what?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Once I went diesel, I don't think I could ever go back. People complaining about the sound are upset they don't have a sports car sound coming from an SUV.
This

I'm on my second diesel and won't be going back anytime soon. In fact, I'm waiting on the F30 diesel to add a second BMW diesel to the garage
Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 AM
robertdznj

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 35d
Here's my 2 cents -

I have 2011 X5 35d. Prior, I had a 335d. The HPFP isn't an issue for the d. My 335d wasn't recalled for the 35i issue when I owned it (confirmed it with BMW). Different pump used supposedly and infrastructure.

Overall the engine is incredible. It was fantastic in the 335d, and it's great in the X5. It's obviously a heavier car, but the engine and torque make driving the SAV fun and engaging. Yes, it may be louder at idle and initial acceleration (you don't hear it in the cabin), but once going, the sucker growls. I'm getting 25.2 MPG according to the computer. More highway than city. But nothing like leaving a toll booth and flooring it. Awesome!

My area in Northern NJ seems to have diesel readily available, so not an issue for me.

Also, resale is higher with the diesel. KBB the difference - typically a couple $K difference between the gas engine and the diesel.

I love my X5 and loved the 335d. I really hope BMW brings more diesel options to the US!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Here's my take: some people love the diesel, some people don't.

Lot's of folks will highlight the diesel's strengths (and there are quite a few). I averaged 20+mpg with mostly city and some long highway trips factored in. This was awesome for such a heavy car. The car has a ton of torque, which gives the impression (and smile on your face feeling) of speed, especially in DS, even if the actual numbers are not any better than the gas. It's fun to push the pedal and go. On the highway it is mostly effortless to pass. The gas is no slouch here either but the diesel just feels solid in this respect.

It's a solid engine that has fewer moving parts so should theoretically require fewer service visits. Then again, many people have complained about having to have the DEF filled early (I did too), and that's a service visit that is unexpected. They are now covering the cost of the filling (they apparently did not for a while) the DEF under the service plan but it's still time and energy. Because of this, I had my diesel in more than my X3 during the same amount of time.

It may hold it's value better, but I'm pretty sure this will depend almost entirely on the cost of diesel when you sell, which you can't predict. I am leasing, so this wasn't an issue for me.

And as others have said it's not difficult to find diesel, usually. But you should drive around your neighborhood and plot out which stations you usually go to and which you'll have to go to with the diesel. It wasn't a huge issue for me, but it definitely took me out of my way a mile (each way) or so each time I wanted to fill up. Diesel prices seem to vary much more at stations as well, so plan to get Fuel finder. Use it before you buy the car to see what's available in your area. You may also want to pack some nitrile gloves in the car. When you get diesel on your hands, it does not go away easily. It dissipates much more slowly than gas, so the smell stays longer.

But...

The noise is a factor some and not others. People will tell you you can't hear the engine in the cabin at speed. I can. Always. Radio blasting or not. At idle or acceleration, the tone is cringe-worthy...to me. Not to everyone. My wife doesn't notice it at all. It may not bother you at all. It may be music to your ears. Only you can tell. To me it sounds like I'm driving a box truck. That may float your boat. It may make you want to do a Tim Allen grunt. It bothered me constantly. I want my BMW to sound like what I expect in a BMW. That's me. It may be you too. If you're considering the diesel, do yourself a favor and take it on a long test drive. Sit in it while it's idle for a while. Drive it in as many different road conditions as you can. Take it through a drive thru. Drive it in the rain if you can (the engine noise is amplified in the rain). Play with the acceleration in different scenarios. Ply the radio loud and soft. Try talking on the phone. In my short test drives, I didn't think it'd bother me. I does. It may bother you. It may not.

Lots of other folks have mentioned the heavy steering in the X5. Do yourself a favor and try to test drive one with and without active steering. It's not available on the diesel. Starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear and with the heavy steering, the diesel can feel absolutely piggish to me (DS mode solves most of this, and I would switch back and forth constantly). The 8-speed in the 35i is more accurate to my mind.

The DEF warning is really annoying. It starts at 1000 miles from the point where your car won't stop. Unlike the iDrive warning that you get when you start the car, the DEF warning does not go away until you click it away. And a warning symbol remains on the instrument panel at all times. I get the need for the warning, but I like the idea of not having to deal with that again. That to me has to be considered in the service issue.

As I said, it was not difficult for me to find diesel in my local area, even if I had to drive out of my way to do so. But when it is more difficult to find, it's a bit nerve wracking. Traveling out to more rural areas, for example, was a challenge. Finding a station with Fuel finder could put you easily 5-10 miles out of your way. Not a big deal except when you're on your 500th mile, have two cranky kids in the car, and you just want to get to your destination. I was also in plenty of places where the only diesel was a truck stop and it required the pump adapter. This is a pain in the neck, if you ask me. It may not bother you at all but think about having to take the adapter out, fill your tank, and then figure out what to do with this diesel soaked plastic thing when you're on a long trip. Plus truck stop diesel pumps almost inevitably have diesel all over the ground. You'll get it on your shoes. Between your shoes and the adapter, your car will smell like diesel. Again, this may or may not bother you.

Anyway, my point is try the diesel before you buy. Try it as extensively as you can. You may be one of the many who love it. It's still a BMW and it's a beautiful car. But, you may not and when you don't it definitely takes away from the enjoyment of a very, very expensive car.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Jet Black X5 35d
Here's another plus for having a diesel, based on personal experience. I had a diesel truck when we evacuated (from Houston) for Hurricane Rita. It took us 12 hours to drive what normally took 3 hours. Whenever we stopped for fuel, all the stations were out of gas, but they all had diesel. If you live anywhere near the ocean, it's definitely something to consider. Not to mention putting your left foot on the brake and your right on the gas and revving to around 3000 rpm's and then letting go of the brake never gets old. Diesels rock.