Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
135i v m3 ... Not that simple

So long story short. I've been working since I was 16 and have saved up enough money to help my dad with a lease. I'm 20 years old and have driven an a4 for the past 4 years.*
As my lease is about to end I have ha my sights set on a 135i loaded with the lease =ing $570 a month. I can pay 300 of that each month for 3 years.*
But then my dad told me, if I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, I should get an m3. My family has the means to pay the $930 lease a month and I would be paying $400 a month if I got the m3

My question is to all you devoted bimmer fans, is it wrong for a 20 yr old to get an m3 car? I feel like it is a car you should work years for and I mean I have save up money which is rare for a 16-20 but still? Will I have to deal with haters and jealous kids/adults saying who is this kid with an m3 not knowing I'm paying for almost half the lease?

Comments please and this isn't a troll topic or anything. I'm just in-between getting a beautiful car ( that I would literally keep till I die) now or waiting till I'm older and have the pleasure of saying, I bought this m3 on my own. Thanks.*
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
Have you checked out the search feature? There are numerous discussions as to whether a teenager/ 20 something should drive an M3. Some say go for it, others say wait until you are mature enough not to kill yourself. I'll say I'd llike to be adopted by your family.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
As my Contracts Professer in law school used to tell the class..."don't leave your common sense at the door." The answer to your question whether it's "wrong" for a 20 year-old to be driving an M3, quite frankly, is that you shouldn't be driving this car if you need our input in order to answer this question. Just sayin', I'm not hatin'.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 10-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
1M? At 20 you might be past the early wreck problem both my kids had. Nothing serious except financially. They would probably have been twice as expensive or more with a bimmer. It seems you've been driving something significantly nicer than what I provided for my kids. So maybe you've adjusted.

With either vehicle you need to avoid feeling like you need to prove to everybody how fast it is. All of us can get in that trap. But faster cars make it more tempting and being young may cause your foot to stay on the gas even longer creating an even higher risk of a very negative outcome.

If you can avoid doing something you will regret, I don't see the issue. I also do not see the issue between the M3 and the 135i. They're pretty close in danger potential. BMW will keep coming out with new models so there will be something to "upgrade" to regardless of which you get. The M3 has more space and getting one of the last V8 M3s has some attractiveness. But if you do not need the space or care about gas mileage, the 135i could be a better fit. If you could find a 1M, it seems like even more of a collectors car but also right up there with a risk potential if you try to race on the streets.

Jim
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
[QUOTE=nicname;6384168]But then my dad told me, if I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, I should get an m3.QUOTE]

Listen to your Dad
Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 99 M3
Im 20 also. I saved my money to get an e36 m3 which was a big deal for me, and i baby the **** out of it, yet still have fun with it too. Since your are paying a good portion of it, i think you will be responsible with it

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
22 in 2 weeks, M3 in my sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
reach for the stars. Sounds like you are responsible and not a d-bag who gets a 911 turbo for his 18th birthday. (know some people like that). Get the nicest car you can afford and enjoy it. I too think the 1M is a nice alternative. Gorgeous in person. Just saw one at my dealership (Mt. Kisco BMW -NY)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Have you talked to your insurance company?
Disclaimer: never having needed to get a quote for an M3, I don't know if all they ask for is body style and don't get into what package the car has.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:14 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
[QUOTE=nicname;6384168]So long story short. I've been working since I was 16 and have saved up enough money to help my dad with a lease. I'm 20 years old and have driven an a4 for the past 4 years.*
As my lease is about to end I have ha my sights set on a 135i loaded with the lease =ing $570 a month. I can pay 300 of that each month for 3 years.*
But then my dad told me, if I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, I should get an m3. My family has the means to pay the $930 lease a month and I would be paying $400 a month if I got the m3

My question is to all you devoted bimmer fans, is it wrong for a 20 yr old to get an m3 car? I feel like it is a car you should work years for and I mean I have save up money which is rare for a 16-20 but still? Will I have to deal with haters and jealous kids/adults saying who is this kid with an m3 not knowing I'm paying for almost half the lease?

Comments please and this isn't a troll topic or anything. I'm just in-between getting a beautiful car ( that I would literally keep till I die) now or waiting till I'm older and have the pleasure of saying, I bought this m3 on my own. Thanks.*[
pROBABLY. (dON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS IN CAPS. hAVE TRIED TO FIX IT,)

Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
There are some things I would think about if I was 20 years old, was not filthy rich (so Beverly Hills types don't count, and neither does Justin Beiber).

a) Insurance, as I mentioned above.
b) the real likelihood of getting into trouble. Young people, esp men (by sheer coincidence, I was your exact age once and so were my friends) do the occasional stupid thing. Use your imagination when you have a car that is very powerful and lustworthy as well
c) Haters. People who see a 20 year old park a car like that vs a 50 year old may have a different reaction. Again, use your imagination.
d) "Friends" constantly wanting to borrow your car. You'll become almost as popular as a 40 year old pickup truck owner in a subdivision.

Now you sound like a sensible guy but my motto is we get enough trouble handed to us in our lives, that we don't really need to go out looking for it. Good luck.