Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
iPod and iPhone album art not updating

There has been some discussion about this in the past, but I haven't seen any resolution, so I thought I'd throw it out there again.

I'm using an iPod touch 4th Gen (still on iOS 4). All of the album art that was on the iPod when I first connected it to my car shows up perfectly. The problem I'm having is that new albums that I've added to my iPod since then don't show the album art on the BMW screen. I've triple-checked to verify that the album art is properly attached to the files, but it just doesn't show up. The art does show on the iPod screen when I use it separately from the vehicle, so I feel confident that it is properly attached.

I also made some changes to some of my playlists, but those changes don't show up in the car- the playlist is the same as it was originally, even though it is updated on the iPod.

Someone mentioned that it takes time for the car to download the new material, but it has been over a month, and still no joy.

I tried re-naming the iPod from iTunes to make the car think it's a new device, but that didn't help. My next thought is to completely erase (reset) the iPod and reload all of my songs, but that seems like an extreme step.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any tips or solutions?

2011 528i, May 2011 build
Premium 1 & 2, comfort access, BMW Apps.

Last edited by jgscott987; 10-31-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM

I'd love to have some thoughts on whether folks here are having the same problem, or whether it's something specifically wrong with my car/iPod/computer.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I am having the same problem: songs downloaded to my iPhone do not show the album art on the Nav screen, and it has been a while now. Solutions, anyone?
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

I have not had a problem with playlists updating, but I did have the album art problem (new art not showing up on the Nav Screen). The solution to this (for me) was to shutdown the iPhone all the way before/after an iTunes sync before re-attaching it to the car. If all you do is sync the device and re-attach it to car, it doesn't grab the new art. I am using an old iPhone 3G as my designated car iPod.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: '11 550i -> '15 M3
If the above solution does not work, I've had success renaming the phone and forcing the car to reload the database.
2011 550i AW/Black Nappa M-Sport w/anthracite wood, Premium pkg 2, dynamic handling pkg, conv pkg, active vent. seat pkg, split rear seat, IAS, side/top Cameras, active cruise, 4zone climate, HUD, BMW Apps, ED 7/11
Mods: V1 hardwire, Huper Optik 45%, MORR 19" VS8.2 Sig Black w/PSSs, OEM CF spoiler, CF fender markers, OEM trunk mat OMG
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Trauma View Post
If the above solution does not work, I've had success renaming the phone and forcing the car to reload the database.
I tried renaming the device, but that didn't fix the situation. Is there another step to "force the car to reload the database?"
Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '11 550i -> '15 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
I tried renaming the device, but that didn't fix the situation. Is there another step to "force the car to reload the database?"
Well, I un-paired the bluetooth first, and then paired again, but I don't do it for music so I didn't think that would affect it.

I see my reading comprehension failed on your original post. I can't think of why that wouldn't work -- perhaps you should rename a playlist or two so the database otherwise doesn't match the one the car has?
2011 550i AW/Black Nappa M-Sport w/anthracite wood, Premium pkg 2, dynamic handling pkg, conv pkg, active vent. seat pkg, split rear seat, IAS, side/top Cameras, active cruise, 4zone climate, HUD, BMW Apps, ED 7/11
Mods: V1 hardwire, Huper Optik 45%, MORR 19" VS8.2 Sig Black w/PSSs, OEM CF spoiler, CF fender markers, OEM trunk mat OMG
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
I posted on this a while back, I have this same problem, I have had 100% resolution resetting the device with iTunes. I grant this is time consuming but it has worked every single time.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_AERO View Post
I have not had a problem with playlists updating, but I did have the album art problem (new art not showing up on the Nav Screen). The solution to this (for me) was to shutdown the iPhone all the way before/after an iTunes sync before re-attaching it to the car. If all you do is sync the device and re-attach it to car, it doesn't grab the new art. I am using an old iPhone 3G as my designated car iPod.
Well, that sure ended up being a simple solution to a vexing problem. This morning I just unplugged and shut down my iPod completely, then turned it back on and reattached it to the car. Voila! all of my album art shows up on the nav screen now!

Thanks everyone for your input.