Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TL Type-S
Angry Car sold out from under me!

I posted this in the 5-series forum, but realized that this might be the more appropriate spot:

I've been going back and forth for several months trying to decide whether to go with a 5-Series or hold out (and save up) a bit more and buy an Audi A7 (the A6 is ugly IMHO). This Wednesday, I got an email Tuesday night from my sales contact at Midlothian (VA) BMW who informed me that they had just gotten one last 2011 535i in exactly the color I wanted and with virtually all the options. The discount he was offering was pretty good (particularly for this dealership, who generally prices on the high side).

I went the very next day (Wednesday) for a test drive and indicated that I needed to think about it overnight. The next day (Thursday) I exchanged several emails with my salesguy, culminating with a 5:00 p.m. email exchange indicating that I was bringing my wife by with me that night to make the final decision, at which point I was assured the car was still there. Based on our conversations throughout the day, he could be quite confident I was coming to buy the car.

I left work early (6:15 is early for me) and drove out of my way to the dealership and had my wife meet me there. As soon as I got out of the car, my sales guy tells me that the car was no longer available as he personally had taken a deposit on the car over the phone just 5 minutes before I got there. At no point did the salesman suggest that I needed to give him a deposit to hold the car for the 2 hours before I would be able to come by my dealership (or even indicate that it was possible to give a deposit over the phone).

Am I crazy to think that this was completely unprofessional behavior by the dealership? I wouldn't have any gripe if they had sold it sometime during the day on Thursday, but to have taken a TOTALLY REFUNDABLE phone deposit from somebody else when he knew I was on the way to the dealership to buy the car really pissed me off. In my mind, I had already bought the car and had my checkbook with me to write a check for the full amount.

Again, this was a good deal on the 535i, but not ridiculous. I saved about $3,500 over a 2012 535i equipped exactly as I wanted, but I would have to drive a couple of hours to Northern Virginia to get that deal.

Rightly or wrongly, this has soured my view on getting a BMW at all as I don't want to even see those guys when I go to my dealership for service. I'm guessing it looks like an A7 after bonus time in the Spring for me.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostaBimmer View Post
I posted this in the 5-series forum, but realized that this might be the more appropriate spot:

I've been going back and forth for several months trying to decide whether to go with a 5-Series or hold out (and save up) a bit more and buy an Audi A7 (the A6 is ugly IMHO). This Wednesday, I got an email Tuesday night from my sales contact at Midlothian (VA) BMW who informed me that they had just gotten one last 2011 535i in exactly the color I wanted and with virtually all the options. The discount he was offering was pretty good (particularly for this dealership, who generally prices on the high side).

I went the very next day (Wednesday) for a test drive and indicated that I needed to think about it overnight. The next day (Thursday) I exchanged several emails with my salesguy, culminating with a 5:00 p.m. email exchange indicating that I was bringing my wife by with me that night to make the final decision, at which point I was assured the car was still there. Based on our conversations throughout the day, he could be quite confident I was coming to buy the car.

I left work early (6:15 is early for me) and drove out of my way to the dealership and had my wife meet me there. As soon as I got out of the car, my sales guy tells me that the car was no longer available as he personally had taken a deposit on the car over the phone just 5 minutes before I got there. At no point did the salesman suggest that I needed to give him a deposit to hold the car for the 2 hours before I would be able to come by my dealership (or even indicate that it was possible to give a deposit over the phone).

Am I crazy to think that this was completely unprofessional behavior by the dealership? I wouldn't have any gripe if they had sold it sometime during the day on Thursday, but to have taken a TOTALLY REFUNDABLE phone deposit from somebody else when he knew I was on the way to the dealership to buy the car really pissed me off. In my mind, I had already bought the car and had my checkbook with me to write a check for the full amount.

Again, this was a good deal on the 535i, but not ridiculous. I saved about $3,500 over a 2012 535i equipped exactly as I wanted, but I would have to drive a couple of hours to Northern Virginia to get that deal.

Rightly or wrongly, this has soured my view on getting a BMW at all as I don't want to even see those guys when I go to my dealership for service. I'm guessing it looks like an A7 after bonus time in the Spring for me.
The way that works for me is: no deposit, no car.

Your situation looks to me of one of misunderstanding mixed with ambivalence so the salesperson simply did his job of selling cars to whoever is first to put a deposit and actually reserve a car. Unfortunately you did not.

Just do not make the same mistake with the A7 purchase. Live and learn.

Last edited by Technic; 11-05-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
Quote:
Am I crazy to think that this was completely unprofessional behavior by the dealership?
YES

Quote:
In my mind, I had already bought the car and had my checkbook with me to write a check for the full amount.
If you were committed to should have told your CA so, and then he may have asked for a deposit.
In the CA's mind another party (your wife) needed to approve the purchase.

PS: Its likely another CA at the dealership found the final buyer, this is normal operating procedures at most dealerships.
A CA needs to close the deal to lock out another CA on a car or even an allocation.

Last edited by bmwKbiker; 11-05-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Not unheard of. We put a deposit down on a 3 series coupe order. When after a long time had passed we asked about when our car would come in -- the response after much hemming and hawing was that it was sold to another customer. This was on an ordered car with a deposit and it was sold out from under us. Yes we did get the deposit back and yes we went down and bought an A4, more content at a significant savings. Will never darken that door again!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Not unheard of. We put a deposit down on a 3 series coupe order. When after a long time had passed we asked about when our car would come in -- the response after much hemming and hawing was that it was sold to another customer. This was on an ordered car with a deposit and it was sold out from under us. Yes we did get the deposit back and yes we went down and bought an A4, more content at a significant savings. Will never darken that door again!
Wow. That is extremely unprofessional. Care to share the name of the dealership so others know to avoid the place as well?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
That seems a bit much and probably shows more of your unsureness about buying a BMW. Is it possible the salesman picked up that ambivalence? A bad experience with a BMW salesman and a good one with a Kia salesman would not drive me into the arms of thae Kia.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
The sales guy did what was best for him. You did not make a commitment to buy the car and you clearly need your wife's approval which does not always go well.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
No money, no commitment. The first guy that came in with the money got the car. Now if you had given him a deposit, would be a different story......
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
Sorry, if you're really interested in a car, put a 500 deposit on them. I would be a little irritated if this was a dealer that I had 5 deals under the belt. This is what happens. You played on the fence....they had a buyer.

If there's are car I'm interesting in, I put a deposit on...despite being a long term customer. Helps to migitage these problems.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find another car.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
That seems a bit much and probably shows more of your unsureness about buying a BMW. Is it possible the salesman picked up that ambivalence? A bad experience with a BMW salesman and a good one with a Kia salesman would not drive me into the arms of thae Kia.
Precisely my thoughts.

By the OPs post, he was signalling that he had not made the "final" decision... and the wife needed to be there.

In the future, simply commit over the phone and give them a deposit- IT STILL IS CANCELLABLE! (Unless your state allows otherwise)

If it make you feel better, don't buy a BMW....But keep in mind your issue is with a salesman at a dealership - nothing to do with "BMW". The people that design and build the car are BMW & BMWNA- unrelated to the dealership.

Last edited by ard; 11-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
What was the final outcome of this saga?

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Black sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
No money, no commitment. The first guy that came in with the money got the car. Now if you had given him a deposit, would be a different story......
Absolutely correct, if you made no deposit, you have no claim on the car. You don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhibmw View Post
Absolutely correct, if you made no deposit, you have no claim on the car. You don't have a leg to stand on.
Or four wheels to drive on!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
What was the final outcome of this saga?
Well, has he asked for a name change?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
I'm kind of on the salesman's side on this one. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush when you're trying to put food on the table, and after " months" of training to make a decision, I don't blame him for going with a sure thing, instead of waiting for somebody to stop dragging their heels.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 07 A4 2.0T Q, 08 335xi
The polite thing for the CA to do would have been,IMHO, to call you when someone else was getting ready to put a deposit down. However, I would not expect this to happen. Personally, I always leave a deposit over the phone doing business. In another life, when I road motorcycles, I would find the bike I wanted, get a price and then pay in full over the phone even if the dealer had several in stock. Just made my life easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TL Type-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay4242 View Post
The polite thing for the CA to do would have been,IMHO, to call you when someone else was getting ready to put a deposit down. However, I would not expect this to happen. Personally, I always leave a deposit over the phone doing business. In another life, when I road motorcycles, I would find the bike I wanted, get a price and then pay in full over the phone even if the dealer had several in stock. Just made my life easier.

I honestly didn't even think that it was even possible to give a deposit over the phone -- he had never indicated that was an option.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I honestly didn't even think that it was even possible to give a deposit over the phone -- he had never indicated that was an option.
I completely understand. I don't blame you for being upset about this,I would be too. With how much thee cars cost, I set really high expectations for CAs and dealerships.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
<>

When you "road" motorcycles????

Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM
&amp;quot;Clunker&amp;quot; *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay4242 View Post
I completely understand. I don't blame you for being upset about this,I would be too. With how much thee cars cost, I set really high expectations for CAs and dealerships.

You're kidding, right?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
<>

When you "road" motorcycles????

Hahaha, man I need to read what I write before hitting send...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
You're kidding, right?
Kidding about what? Being upset if I drove to a dealership to learn the car I wanted to see was sold? Or about having high expectations? I don't feel that either is unreasonable. What did the dealer accomplish by selling that car and not at least calling this guy? Gained one sale and lost another customer? Sorry buddy, but that is bad business. If the dealer played this better, they could have had two sales....

Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
In this world, if you snooze, you lose. I don't think the dealer did anything wrong here. Why should a car dealer hold onto a car that one person makes a firm commitment to buy while another hasn't decided? There was no bait and switch here -- another customer had decided to buy the car first.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
There are other cars. Don't get hung up over this one. If you like the car, simply have them look for another one, or order it yourself.

You were unsure, he had a sale in hand, he has a job to do, you know.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Skjoni's Dad

Mein Auto: 335i
The salesman did nothing wrong here. A customer test drove a car, negotiated, then said he'd have to think about it. Another customer decided he'd buy the car. Until you put a deposit down you have no claim to the car.