Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I have a 2005 X3 2.8....

And the ride around my area with road cracks, frost heaves, potholes and bumps is getting to be, well, rattling me to my bones.

I can hardly stand it. I learned that this model has a particularly crappy suspension, or, lack thereof.

I know this is the 2011 and 2012 forum, so I will cut to the chase. Would a X3 2012 have a ride that is completely different than what I have now, or would I be buying a car I could not live with? I did a very quick test drive not long enough to judge. And I tend to sway myself with that awesome

The reviews seems to point towards a complete redo that fixes all my issues. And I understand that there are all new parts/design in the suspension system.

So, any thoughts? Any in a similar situation? Thanks, great forum!

Last edited by CatManDave; 11-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The 11/12 X3's are much more comfortable than the previous generation X's. I made sure on my test drive to run the 35i over every pothole, expansion joint and rough road I could find and it handled them beautifully. I now have 3,000 miles on mine and and can't complain! Take the new X for a long test drive. I think you will be happy with the redesigned suspension.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 AM

i agree with "Want a Thrill". My niece bought a 2010 which I drove after testing the 2011 X3. The ride has definitely improved with the 2011+. The minor changes to the interior was a welcome too. I picked up my 2011 35i in October and have been very happy with my decision. The only disappointing issue is the bluetooth link with my Blackberry. I usually cannot answer the first call using the button on the steering wheel, I have to push the iDrive on the console.BMW has looked into this issue with no success.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
I agree.
The E83's biggest downfall was the harshness over concrete roads with poor expansion joints.
The new F-25's ability to handle these roads is a night and day difference.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the input. I will look forward to a longer test drive!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The F25 X3 is very plush, no worries for Northeast roads.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Only the name X3 is the same. It drives like a dream and rides extremely well on NYC streets.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
Same here- great ride on Va roads.
2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDave View Post
And the ride around my area with road cracks, frost heaves, potholes and bumps is getting to be, well, rattling me to my bones.

I can hardly stand it. I learned that this model has a particularly crappy suspension, or, lack thereof.

I know this is the 2011 and 2012 forum, so I will cut to the chase. Would a X3 2012 have a ride that is completely different than what I have now, or would I be buying a car I could not live with? I did a very quick test drive not long enough to judge. And I tend to sway myself with that awesome

The reviews seems to point towards a complete redo that fixes all my issues. And I understand that there are all new parts/design in the suspension system.

So, any thoughts? Any in a similar situation? Thanks, great forum!
I traded in my 2005 x3 (2.8) 6 months ago (for a brand new 2011 328i). But my wife just got a 2012 x3. There is no comparison. The 2012 x3 is a totally different car than the 2005 x3. The new feel (and look) is much more luxury. This goes for the cabin and ride.

I would not hesitate to upgrade to a 2012 x3 in your situation. The features and technology alone make a world of differenc.e

I'm jealous of my wife's 2012 X3, just rolled off the line in October (and I have a 2011 328i, which rolled off the line in April).

By the way, I got $13,000 for my 2005 X3 from the dealer, and it had 80,000 miles.

Last edited by caesarp; 11-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Thank you all for the excellent feedback. I actually did go and drive the 2.8 2012. At least I think it was a 12. I forgot to ask

I really did like the features and the newer interior like you said. I also liked the "lighter" steering.

There is no good place to test drive near the dealer so I just tooled around town. "Luckily" the roads were horrendously bad. Way worse than what I usually drive on. But, truth is, I was so ATTUNED to bumps, I STILL felt them all. Oversensitive on my part, but also some really crappy roads.

I think I must have been expecting a Lexus

Since this is not an immediate need, I am going to schedule a proper drive where I will let them know I am going out to the highway and see how it does there.

Sure was weird getting back into MY car I got a much needed wash on the way home to make me happy

And thanks for the price info. My dealer had said in the 13-14 range for mine which has 72K or so.

Last edited by CatManDave; 11-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDave View Post
Thank you all for the excellent feedback. I actually did go and drive the 2.8 2012. At least I think it was a 12. I forgot to ask

I really did like the features and the newer interior like you said. I also liked the "lighter" steering.

There is no good place to test drive near the dealer so I just tooled around town. "Luckily" the roads were horrendously bad. Way worse than what I usually drive on. But, truth is, I was so ATTUNED to bumps, I STILL felt them all. Oversensitive on my part, but also some really crappy roads.

I think I must have been expecting a Lexus

Since this is not an immediate need, I am going to schedule a proper drive where I will let them know I am going out to the highway and see how it does there.

Sure was weird getting back into MY car I got a much needed wash on the way home to make me happy

And thanks for the price info. My dealer had said in the 13-14 range for mine which has 72K or so.
You will still feel the bumps for sure, especially in sport mode, but they are far better than in the previous generation. Perhaps DHP would make things better for you. Are you going to test drive the 35i? You owe it to yourself to give it a drive. I thought I would be happy with the 28i and I was when I test drove it. However, I tried the 35i just for kicks and once I did there was no turning back! Floor the 28i, then floor the 35i. BIG difference! So glad I went for the 35i.....makes me smile every time I drive it!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM

I was asking questions about the DHC. I would love to test a car with that. I am sure I would feel the same about the 3.5! That is why I do not drive it. Same reason I do not drive the X5

I am really fine with the power. It is more than I need. My 2005 is just perfect as far as that goes. Because I do not need to drive fast to have fun. I am, however, always the first away from ANY stop light

On the way home from the dealer there was a statie hiding in the dark. I was in the left lane cruising at 80 without even realizing it. I looked down and thought the blue lights were going to come right after me. But he must have been busy/lazy/sleeping or just cut me some slack because I was driving extremely well and safe in my BMW.

I was very grateful!