Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3
? black roof rails

My new custom ordered 2012 X3 35i just arrived! I have always liked black vehicles are ordered it in black. Did not get the M package because I could justify it for the cost (was on a specific budget). I agree with people in other posts in that I don't like the silver on an all black x3. Anyone know how to get black roof rails now that the car is built and here? Aftermarket? Dealer sales rep says he could take to their paint guys and see what they can do with the silver. Makes me nervous. Thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
black roof rails

Hi,

I ended up with a similar situation--the packages I got forced satin roof rails, bright window trim, and 19" wheels, so I have a few projects. Our roads in back-country Oregon are a bit rough for 19" wheels, so we'll go to 18". I'm looking at blacking-out the roof rails and a few other shiny items.

You might try ebay user 3m_graphics_inc , who sells the 3M blackout films in sheets and rolls. I just bought one roll--not tried yet, but the material is high quality--I guess we'll see if my skills are up to the task. One concern I have for the roof rails is whether the roof rack rail clamps will dig into or otherwise mar the blackout film.

This stuff is pretty slick--use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the film so it becomes more pliable and it should form-fit curves etc. Just be sure you don't over heat the stuff, as I'll bet it gets droopy and distorted when too hot.

Do some reading to be sure this would work for your needs.

best

Luna-01
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks Luna 1 !

Will definitely check it out. Would you be willing to post photos when it's done? Do you know of any textued paints? Have you tried or seen this before? Prob have same issue of damaging it with use.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
black roof rails

Hi more no,

Yes, I'd be happy to post photos--not sure when I'll do it, as I won't take delivery until wednesday next & cold weather has closed in. I'll see about getting the pooped out garage heater running again.

If by "textured" you mean matte finish, yes, 3M makes all that stuff. If you search on "3M paint replacement film" you should come up with two subchoices--paint replacement and paint protective films. I tried and failed to get referrals to dealers of the products--I actually got a call back from 3M but for some unknown reason, they won't release the id of dealers--pretty effective marketing, eh?

At the very least, the 3M product info is a good read vs the avery stuff....3M takes extensive measures to reduce bubbling through a pretty unusual sounding adhesive system.

You shouldn't wait for me to do mine since I can't be sure when I'll do it, but I'll post photos when it does happen.

good luck

luna-01
______
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info! Will keep an eye out for pics. Enjoy the cold