Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Stupid english ambiguity. When I said that "Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral", I meant that this is not a design goal of the engineers, AKA: The car was NOT designed to include feature "X". It might in fact do so, but it might not.

I didn't mean to say that the car is designed to NOT roll easy in neutral, AKA: The car IS designed to NOT do "X".

In other words, how easily a car rolls in neutral is a "coincidental feature", not designed per-se. That means I'm wary about using it as a test that the car is busted in some fashion. It's not a good diagnostic test, IMO.

Could it be the symptom of a deeper problem? Maybe. But alone it's not definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Do you think that moving the car in neutral is going to damage it in some wayl?

Squidget, what is the source for your statement "Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral"? I've never heard this about a BMW or any car. I'm talking manual transmission cars.
By contrast, cars ARE designed to roll in neutral without damage, within limits. Manual or automatic.

Key caveat: within limits. For instance, some cars can NOT be towed, even in neutral. But short rolls down hills are fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
To answer the OP's original question: YES- someone else has noticed this.

I just took delivery of my car three weeks ago and I notice the same thing. My previous car (VW) rolled out of my garage easily in neutral- so easily I had to use the brake to slow it. My new BMW rolls about a foot and stops. The tire pressures are set to spec, and I don't feel any brake binding. I guess it's just normal for an e90, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Could possibly be the negative rear camber that adds a little rolling resistance- and I'm not sure if there's some toe-in on the front or rear- which would of course be toe-out in reverse possibly adding additional resistance. Just a theory.

Last edited by Dashdog; 11-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
To answer the OP's original question: YES- someone else has noticed this.

I just took delivery of my car three weeks ago and I notice the same thing. My previous car (VW) rolled out of my garage easily in neutral- so easily I had to use the brake to slow it. My new BMW rolls about a foot and stops. The tire pressures are set to spec, and I don't feel any brake binding. I guess it's just normal for an e90, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Could possibly be the negative rear camber that adds a little rolling resistance- and I'm not sure if there's some toe-in on the front or rear- which would of course be toe-out in reverse possibly adding additional resistance. Just a theory.
Dashdoq, thank you for you answer. I was amazed by the types of responses I was getting. Some people just have nothing better to do.

Thanks again and enjoy your new E90!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post
Dashdoq, thank you for you answer. I was amazed by the types of responses I was getting. Some people just have nothing better to do.

Thanks again and enjoy your new E90!
My manual car rolls extremely easily... it is heavy, and you can feel that you are in a 3000 lb+ car, but it rolls easily.

Seriously, perhaps you are having a bit of brake bite from the hill assist feature? Consensus is that it exists on BMW automatic cars too. If I have hill assist activated then shift into neutral, there remains a tiny bit of brake bite -- sometimes they will even squeak a bit until I start moving with power, then it goes away. The car will also roll slowly.

If you just are driving the car, come to a stop on a slight downhill, then shift into neutral, will it still have high rolling resistance? What about if you come to a stop in neutral after rolling a ways, then restart rolling (completely disabling the hill assist?)

What about with a very slight pull on the parking brake (supposedly this disables the hill assist), then does it roll easier?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
My manual car rolls extremely easily... it is heavy, and you can feel that you are in a 3000 lb+ car, but it rolls easily.

Seriously, perhaps you are having a bit of brake bite from the hill assist feature? Consensus is that it exists on BMW automatic cars too. If I have hill assist activated then shift into neutral, there remains a tiny bit of brake bite -- sometimes they will even squeak a bit until I start moving with power, then it goes away. The car will also roll slowly.

If you just are driving the car, come to a stop on a slight downhill, then shift into neutral, will it still have high rolling resistance? What about if you come to a stop in neutral after rolling a ways, then restart rolling (completely disabling the hill assist?)

What about with a very slight pull on the parking brake (supposedly this disables the hill assist), then does it roll easier?
I never tested all these hypothesis, but I can tell you that if I back out of my garage in reverse and shift into neutral on the driveway (slight down hill) it does not roll easily.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post
I never tested all these hypothesis, but I can tell you that if I back out of my garage in reverse and shift into neutral on the driveway (slight down hill) it does not roll easily.
But that is the situation the "hill-hold" would take effect... slight incline and switching gears. Before you shift into neutral pull the parking brake to the first click (slightly, so the warning light is still not on), reportedly this disables the hill-hold. Then shift into neutral and see if it rolls easier.

How "stiff" are we talking? If you got out and pushed the car could you move it easily?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
But that is the situation the "hill-hold" would take effect... slight incline and switching gears. Before you shift into neutral pull the parking brake to the first click (slightly, so the warning light is still not on), reportedly this disables the hill-hold. Then shift into neutral and see if it rolls easier.

How "stiff" are we talking? If you got out and pushed the car could you move it easily?
I will check that out when I have a chance and report back.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Is hill hold standard on our ATs?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Out of respect to the OP, and in an attempt to salvage what I feel is a useful E9x discussion, this thread has been pruned of several non-helpful remarks and reopened.

Non-personal, on-topic responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.

- J.C. Watts Jr.