Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Need SIB for throttle hesitation software fix

My car (July '11 build) is going in on Thur. for the dreaded 535 tip-in issue and I want to be sure I let them know what needs to be done in case I get an "operating within normal limits" response.

Anyone who's had this problem and had it resolved? If you could provide the specific software "fix" (SIB) that took care of it I'd be very appreciative.
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
SIB 12 09 11
You have to be specific about what the problem is so the SA will write the RO correctly. When the tech reads it he will search and find the SIB. Anyway I got this done and the jerky throttle is totally gone:

Problem: Delayed throttle response when driving off.

*** Suggestion***
I would just keep it simple and tell them the above. If you start going into a long winded story about jerky transmission, throttle tip in, turbo lag and SIB numbers, the SA is going to look at you like you need therapy. A lot of people go into the service departments with print outs of forums and I know this does little to help your cause. Techs look for simple solutions, keep it simple. Don't go there and tell them you need SIB 12 09 11. Go there and say, I have "Delayed throttle response when driving off."

Last edited by TJPark01; 11-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
SIB 12 09 11
You have to be specific about what the problem is so the SA will write the RO correctly. When the tech reads it he will search and find the SIB. Anyway I got this done and the jerky throttle is totally gone:

Problem: Delayed throttle response when driving off.

*** Suggestion***
I would just keep it simple and tell them the above. If you start going into a long winded story about jerky transmission, throttle tip in, turbo lag and SIB numbers, the SA is going to look at you like you need therapy. A lot of people go into the service departments with print outs of forums and I know this does little to help your cause. Techs look for simple solutions, keep it simple. Don't go there and tell them you need SIB 12 09 11. Go there and say, I have "Delayed throttle response when driving off."
I agree...also read through my thread, i posted the fix and exactly what to tell your SA, others posted as well

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545870

2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCtarheels View Post
I agree...also read through my thread, i posted the fix and exactly what to tell your SA, others posted as well

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545870
And the summary of the 13 pages is? I told them I have the delay and they said it's normal, so I'm going to try telling them the specific update "12-09-11."
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 528
Why is there not a solution for the 528? This thing feels like an electric golf cart, on or off. Either you sneak off the line or give it some gas and hope you don't get whip lash.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
I thought this throttle lad is only for 535i, even your 528i has this problem?, can any 528i owners here with the same problem.
I thought i will get away with it no big deal but looking at so many people getting software update, i am itching now
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
My car (July '11 build) is going in on Thur. for the dreaded 535 tip-in issue and I want to be sure I let them know what needs to be done in case I get an "operating within normal limits" response.

Anyone who's had this problem and had it resolved? If you could provide the specific software "fix" (SIB) that took care of it I'd be very appreciative.
Be careful with all the advice you are getting here. A lot of folks do not realize that the early 2010 models have apparently suffered from a totally different behaviour than the later 2011 models. Late 2011 models do not exhibit the jerky shifts and hesitation, only a delay from the stop, so it is in your best interest to describe your own symptoms rather than consulting on this forum too much (unless you ask very specifically). I have provided a VERY SIMPLE TEST which was to verify a delay, but guys like TJpark and few others quickly discounted it as useless as if they were in plain denial. Others have also shrugged it off as if "i won't be performing any dumb tests which do not reflect the reality". Still others did not notice any delay (despite them having one 100%, sometimes realizing it only after performing the test). Hence this issue is so complicated. Let me know if you need me to copy and paste that info one more time. It will verify your car's condition with 100% certainty (when it comes to the delay, not jerkiness etc., that's different issue which by the sounds of it have long been resolved with soft. update).

Good luck...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM

By the way, you can also show the dealer that when revving the car in P, the throttle response is instantenous (again, I can point you to that thread if you'd like) - verify this first. Only when in D, does the tranny not engage fast enough... I've experimented with this a lot. It's not a throttle issue at all. Has to do with the tranny big time.

Basically the tranny engages late and hard, rather than early and with some slippage for smooth, yet decisive take off.

Last edited by yogi799; 11-09-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
Thanks Yogi for clearing up the whole issue, so we are dealing with two different things here
1. Jerky throttle
2. Delayed throttle response
Mine is July 2011 built, and i feel i have the second one. Let me test this this time.
If you have SIB for each one would be appreciated and if you can please copy paste again that would be great
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Let me know if you need me to copy and paste that info one more time. It will verify your car's condition with 100% certainty (when it comes to the delay, not jerkiness etc., that's different issue which by the sounds of it have long been resolved with soft. update).

Good luck...
Yes, could you please post this?

Thank you very much.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM

I've just updated my post above.... here is what I see happening with mine... that's how I would describe it:

Basically the tranny engages LATE (say, .75s) and HARD, rather than EARLY (as soon as you step on the gas) and with some SLIPPAGE for smooth, yet decisive take off.

I will post the link in the evening, since you're taking it in tomorrow. I may have actually posted it in your other thread (from two days ago), so check it out. It has a few folks experimenting with the D and flooring it to their great amazement (and shock), then comparing to their other cars. Be sure to follow the whole threat (named 535 owners do you have a delay when taking off). As I said, there is NO delay in throttle when parked in P. Check it out. Will post the links if you're unable to find the thread.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
Thanks Yogi for clearing up the whole issue, so we are dealing with two different things here
1. Jerky throttle
2. Delayed throttle response
Mine is July 2011 built, and i feel i have the second one. Let me test this this time.
If you have SIB for each one would be appreciated and if you can please copy paste again that would be great
Unfortunately I don't as this issue has likely not been resolved yet (for 2011s). Many guys who have brought theirs in thought they had it fixed only to realize they didn't. Many have been told it's normal and as designed.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Here it is PsychDoc.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=571958

Let us know how they treat you at the stealer.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535i
don't know what happened to people with July 2011 build started to show up on this thread. mine is with latest SW, BMW engineer reviewed all of the data and confirm everything is "normal".

My car, with 2000+ miles now, have been experience less and less of this problem. I take the advise to have the car to get used to my style. I step on the gas very hard every time to tell my car to be more aggressive.....sounds silly, but it works somehow.....most of the time.

like I have posted here, without this issue, the car is very smooth and fast........a totally different car.

with this issue, you will be very frustrated.....I have to say again, a safety issue as you can not have a correct timing when you try to enter a busy cross road........I got several close call already.....

one more input....if my wife drove the car to work, for the next 2 days, this issue will be there all the time.....even it's fine when I drove it before I pass to her

I agree not all of the people has the same problem.....check with your SA is the best answer.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
I had mine done a month or so ago and now all is fine.

The work order states

Reprogramed vehicle as per bulltin

00 00 556 2F-61 00 730 4F-11 37 01 29 00

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesight1 View Post
I had mine done a month or so ago and now all is fine.

The work order states

Reprogramed vehicle as per bulltin

00 00 556 2F-61 00 730 4F-11 37 01 29 00

Hope this helps.
What was your build date? What were your symptoms?

Thanks!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
What was your build date? What were your symptoms?

Thanks!
Car built in December 2010 delivered January 2011. 535 i X drive with sport package and other options not relevant to the issue. Symptoms were hesitation on attempting a smooth start up from full stop. It tended to "launch" almost like turbo lag but from full stop when not wanting to launch but rather just smoothly accelerate to 35 mph or so.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Here is where we need to learn to distinguish issues. His build was an early one and he had hesitation. Our late models have more of a delay, mine ain't hesitating at all. Just won't move for .5-.75s. Those earlier issues have prob gone away but the delay is still there. Care to find out for us eyesight? (floor and immediately let go in D). The car should say "oh, you wanted me to move? Sorry, I missed it." Lol
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I think it would be helpful for those of you who are experiencing an issue to post the following:
1. Build date
2. Do you have Sport Auto Trans (option code 2TB) or regular Steptronic?
3. Do you have the same issue when the transmission is placed in "Sport" as when it is in "Drive"?
4. Does anyone else (wife, child) use the same key / profile? Or do you each have your own?

I suspect the issue may be the adaptive transmission learning your driving style. Or it may be an engine management issue - throttle position sensors (TPI's) have been problematic in several BMW models, causing the vehicles to "bog" under acceleration.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I think it would be helpful for those of you who are experiencing an issue to post the following:
1. Build date
2. Do you have Sport Auto Trans (option code 2TB) or regular Steptronic?
3. Do you have the same issue when the transmission is placed in "Sport" as when it is in "Drive"?
4. Does anyone else (wife, child) use the same key / profile? Or do you each have your own?

I suspect the issue may be the adaptive transmission learning your driving style. Or it may be an engine management issue - throttle position sensors (TPI's) have been problematic in several BMW models, causing the vehicles to "bog" under acceleration.
Build Date - April 2010
Standard Steptronic
Issue is gone in Sport
Only one key is used, the other is in the safe. I drive 90% of the miles on the car.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
weissbiermeister

Mein Auto: F355 GTS, '11&'14 535Mspt
Just got my '11 535i back from service. I have noticed a worsening in the unsafe behavior of the M-sport adaptive transmission in the 3 months I've had it. My experience was that...When accelerating from a 10mph roll-especially after braking- I need my car to either a.)simply stay in 2nd gear, respond and GO or b.)hit 1st gear quickly and GO. The car did neither for 3secs, then would slam into 1st and rocket forward with a jolt. The vehicle behaved this way whether in 'D' or when I was downshifting in 'M' to 2nd with my foot feathering the gas. Effectively I experienced a dead spot in responsiveness from my "ultimate driving machine"..

Service receipt says...
24436 FAULTY EGS SOFTWARE ROAD TEST FOUND DELAY IN DOWNSHIFTING. blah blah
CHECKED ISTA FAULT MEMORY, NO FAULTS RELATED TO ENGINE OR TRANS.
AS PER SIB 24 02 12 REPROGRAM COMPLETE CAR INCL. CAS, DME, AND EGS W LATEST SOFTWARE. DEFECT CODE 10 42 03 71 00.

The car does not exhibit the same safety issues right now. Hope it does not return to unsafe.
Otherwise, I think this transmission is an awesome part of the driving experience of this car.
ED#1 '04 M3 Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 5/04... Munich/Como/Modena/Monaco/Rapallo/Munich
ED#2 '05 M3 Comp. Pkg. Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 9/05...Munich/F1 Ital. GP/Lugano/Lucerne/F1 Spa-Cologne
ED#3. '14 535i MSport-Carbon/Ivory ED'ed 10/13...Munich, Reutte, Como, Luzern, Zurich