Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: G37XS
Will the M5 have the same Tire bubble issues the 19 M sport wheel/tires have?

So I'm debating between a 550xi M-sport and a M5. One factor that that is concerning me is the tire bubble issue on the 19 inch M-sport wheels. Will the M5 have a similar issue with the 20 inch wheels? I've never had a car with low profile tires. I have a G37XS sedan now and have no issues. I live in RI and the roads are horrible. I know I can get the tire insurance, but it's still a major inconvenience....

Last edited by Rohardi; 11-09-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
So I'm debating between a 550xi M-sport and a M5. One factor that that is concerning me is the tire bubble issue on the 19 inch M-sport wheels. Will the M5 have a similar issue with the 20 inch wheels? I've never had a car with low profile tires. I have a G37XS sedan now and have no issues. I live in RI and the roads are horrible. I know I can the tire insurance, but it's still a major inconvenience....
No the M5 has Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are the best tires, and any serious driver should be using them. The tires that come with the 550 are placeholders for better tires.

My Pilot Super Sports will be fitted the day after I receive the car at the BMW PCD.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
+1 on PSS

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
BTW, 20" wheels probably won't fare well on bad roads - there's just not much tire left to cushion the impact.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
No issues yet with my 20" PSS.
But there's a warning in the Alpina owners manual addendum saying to take it easy on rough road surfaces

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
So I'm debating between a 550xi M-sport and a M5. One factor that that is concerning me is the tire bubble issue on the 19 inch M-sport wheels. Will the M5 have a similar issue with the 20 inch wheels? I've never had a car with low profile tires. I have a G37XS sedan now and have no issues. I live in RI and the roads are horrible. I know I can the tire insurance, but it's still a major inconvenience....
Any low profile tire will have issues.

The issue is that the 19" Goodyear LS2's as fitted on the xi Sport and MSport models have even more issues than is considered normal. They are just not a good fit for this car.

Tires are a weird thing. They make up quite a substantial portion of the suspension in terms of it's dynamic response, impact absorbtion, etc. OEM Engineers go to great lengths to select tires that work well with their car. They spend hours balancing noise, vibration, handling feel, etc.

Then us idiots go and throw it out.

Occasionally a tire that's not right for the vehicle is fitted, even though it is a decent tire. My Volvo R was a case in point. OE Equipment was Pirelli P Zero Rossos. Standard equipment on Lambos, Porsches, etc. But on the Volvo, it was horrible. It did not match well to the suspension and resulted in the rear end jumping around over bumps. We called it "side hop." Car and Driver described it thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarandDriver
. On our 10Best handling loop, we experienced a lot of body movement, with the tail hopping around and wiggling like an excited pit bull. Spooky.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-awd-road-test

There have been other bad matchups in the past.

Your only choice is to ditch the OE LS2's (or wait for Goodyear to do it for you since there is no replacement stock in the US) with either a summer / winter setup, a non-RFT All Season or a RFT all season in a different size than OE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
The tires that come with the 550 are placeholders for better tires.
Not necessarily true. The Goodyears are sub-par, but the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx OE RFT's that have come on some cars are a decently rated tire.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
No the M5 has Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are the best tires, and any serious driver should be using them. The tires that come with the 550 are placeholders for better tires.

My Pilot Super Sports will be fitted the day after I receive the car at the BMW PCD.
While I don't think that the standard tire are placeholders for better tires - I think they are a compromise by BMW to put the tires on the car that appeal to the widest consumer base. In my last two cars, I have always found that the OEM tires were not as good as the aftermarket tires I installed (but then again they were OEM). On my E60 I don't like the stock tires either.

As for the M5 - I hope that BMW is also not putting runflats on the car.

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post

As for the M5 - I hope that BMW is also not putting runflats on the car.
PSS's are not runflats.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
PSS's are not runflats.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
So it will have a spare in the trunk right?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: G37XS
Either way I go, I'm planning on doing a European delivery. Would you get the tire insurance prior to doing the ED, or would you be offered that at re delivery in the states? If you had a bubble in Europe, how would that be handled???? I've seen post of people getting bubbles before 200 miles.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Very happy with PSS replacing GY LS2 245/40-19 on my 535i xDrive M-sport.

Low profile - less sidewall means more susceptible to problems from road surfaces.

With M5, personally would buy the insurance. With 550i xDrive M sport personally would not buy insurance, as they will just replace with same ill suited tires.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Good question. The F10 was not designed to hold a spare, so if in fact the M5 comes with non-flats you'll probably get an inflator kit, which is similar to some previous BMW models and other manufactures limited production cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
No, most likely they'll be equipped with the Conti repair kit (repair kit that seals and reinflates flat tires). M3's have had this for several years
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
No, most likely they'll be equipped with the Conti repair kit (repair kit that seals and reinflates flat tires). M3's have had this for several years
My son has the conti repair kit in his 135i convertable also a plug kit.