Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Good to hear. Lets hope they got it right!

A
Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz6938 View Post
10-15 seconds after i stop the engine, it starts whinning and making these weird noises.
I never bothered to take it back to dealer to address the issue. Waiting for my service time to come up so they can address the issue.

The sound is like, a little fan constantly running somewhere inside a closed area right above the exhaust manifold or in the area where catalytic converter is located(if the diesel has one).
My "d" did the very same thing.The whirring noise you hear is the fan cooling the anti-freeze.Noises like that are normal.

Fuelly
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Agree with Armand . . . overall I am very happy with my X5 diesel. I had one sensor replaced at ~15,000 miles . . . apparently there was a recall on this particular sensor, BMW was trying to work it into normally scheduled maintenance, mine did not last until the next scheduled visit. I also had the rear camera cable replaced - rear cam went out when they replaced the sensor, my guess is the software somehow got corrupted when they installed the sensor . . . Dealer insists these are two separate issues. Finally my front passenger side door stared to "creak" around 4,000 miles . . . Dealer installed a Teflon tape and the creaking sound is completely gone. The car is now 14 months old and has over 21,000 miles . . . zero problems (we live in the Bay Area - mild climate) and the X5 drives extremely well. Very happy with this X5 diesel.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentStrange View Post
I've just got my 4th check engine light in a year. 1st one had something to do with the intercooler and they had it for 2 weeks fixing it. 2nd one was a software update of some kind. 3rd one air temp sensor failure, not sure about this one yet but it's not giving me a lot of confidence in BMW products. Anyone else have 35d's with all these problems? I also have some electrical problem with the rear license plate light - on sometimes, off other times...

This is the most problematic car I've ever owned - do I just have a dog or is everyone else experiencing this too?
Update - just fixed the charge air sensor for the 5th time - had enough...contacted BMWNA for the lemon law buy back. We'll see how that goes. So far no call back in a week. You'd think they could do some root cause evaluation and stop whatever it is that's causing this after a few years. I've had mine for 2 years now so every 5-6 months I need to get the intercooler sludge cleaned out and sensors replaced (sometimes the EGR, always the air temp sensor).
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Update - just fixed the charge air sensor for the 5th time - had enough...contacted BMWNA for the lemon law buy back. We'll see how that goes. So far no call back in a week. You'd think they could do some root cause evaluation and stop whatever it is that's causing this after a few years. I've had mine for 2 years now so every 5-6 months I need to get the intercooler sludge cleaned out and sensors replaced (sometimes the EGR, always the air temp sensor).
I posted my lemon story. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...5alj98900.html

BMW is trained to deal with verbal complaints and just hold you off...if you have reached the statutory requirements for a lemon in WA, document it and send them a certified letter- they will respond. One thing that DOES take some time is that they need to get your local dealer to say "yes, it is a lemon"..if the dealer is being difficult- (ie they are partially to blame, or they are just being dicks) it may be more of a challenge. Have they already asked that you document your issues and why it is a lemon?

GL

A

Last edited by ard; 11-07-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I posted my lemon story. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...5alj98900.html

BMW is trained to deal with verbal complaints and just hold you off...if you have reached the statutory requirements for a lemon in WA, document it and send them a certified letter- they will respond. One thing that DOES take some time is that they need to get your local dealer to say "yes, it is a lemon"..if the dealer is being difficult- (ie they are partially to blame, or they are just being dicks) it may be more of a challenge. Have they already asked that you document your issues and why it is a lemon?

GL

A
At pickup of this 5th fix the dealer (service advisor) told me to call BMWNA when I told him I wanted to pursue a lemon law buyback. On the 4th fix I told them that was the last shot at this and it better work - so they had the regional eng and BMWNA weigh in and did their best...didn't work obviously. Called BMWNA told me they'd need 3-5 days....after 5 days...silence...so I called on day 5 and they wanted 3-5 more days so I mailed them certified mail per the WA lemon law requirements. I had thought BMW would be cooperative to resolve this without putting the screws to them...maybe not.

I would not be surprised if the dealer was being difficult but I haven't heard anything so don't know. They haven't asked me to document anything - the dealer told me they all have all the records (but I do as well). Told them I want the buy back as I don't have confidence that this won't happen with the next one. Dealer's 80 miles from my house so frequent trips are a royal pain and with the loaner every time....2 trips so 320 miles of driving...not acceptable.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
At pickup of this 5th fix the dealer (service advisor) told me to call BMWNA when I told him I wanted to pursue a lemon law buyback. . . . Dealer's 80 miles from my house so frequent trips are a royal pain and with the loaner every time....2 trips so 320 miles of driving...not acceptable.
Curiosity question - does the lemon law/buy back have to go through the dealer you bought the car from, or can it go through the nearest BMW dealer? What happens if you move and the dealer is now a plane ride away?

Reason for asking - for my last two vehicle purchase I PDF the exact options I want, indicate the MSRP and invoice price for that particular vehicle, indicate the price I am will to pay (invoice price + $XX). I send an email to about five dealers and see what happens. Most of the time the large volume dealer will bite - reason - even if he doesn't make much money on this particular sale, it helps to keep the sales volume high and that has positive repercussions for the dealer. For me, it saves the trouble of listening to an ill-informed sales guy telling me things that I know are not true! But it also means I picked up my X5d nearly 400 miles from where I live! Service was never an issue - a good sales experience does not necessarily translate to good service experience - I find the largest volume dealer in my area and use them for service - logic - even if the techs are not particularly sharp, sheer practice will "hopefully" make them reasonably good!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Curiosity question - does the lemon law/buy back have to go through the dealer you bought the car from, or can it go through the nearest BMW dealer? What happens if you move and the dealer is now a plane ride away?
Don't know a lot about how it works yet - I actually did move so my repair experience is at 2 dealers so I think they call the last one to work on it I think. Don't know how this impacts the dealer(s) - don't think it really should since they didn't manufacture the car and just follow BMW's instructions on how to fix the codes indicated (which is also what they told me on my 5th fix visit - said they couldn't do anything BMW didn't tell them to do - almost like an apology).
Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: United States
Got 5000 miles on mine, and no CEL so far. Being a BMW Diesel, I can only imagine the sophistication of the whole thing. Remember, this thing is not a hybrid so don't expect 'quietness' around it.

Yes, I do hear the 'whiny' noises whenever I open the doors OR after shutting off the engine etc, but my guess is that it is normal unless the service advisor tells you something else. (but then knowledgeable service advisors are hard to find- Atleast my experience with dealers in Dallas is they simply don't care or don't know enough...oh well, I digress).
Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 PM

You were right on about verbal vs written....as soon as they got my letter I was "escalated" to someone who would really do something. Now they're working on it - before was pretty much lip service as you noted.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Funny how that works....
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM

No Lemonade...just lemons from BMW

Quote:
Don't know a lot about how it works yet - I actually did move so my repair experience is at 2 dealers so I think they call the last one to work on it I think. Don't know how this impacts the dealer(s) - don't think it really should since they didn't manufacture the car and just follow BMW's instructions on how to fix the codes indicated (which is also what they told me on my 5th fix visit - said they couldn't do anything BMW didn't tell them to do - almost like an apology).
Update on my lemon X5d: Well so after a month of nothing...the dealer offers me a "trade assist" that would cost me 6K to get into a new 2012 X5d. Considering they've fixed the same thing 5 times in 2 years, seems I'm lemon law qualified I was expecting something a little better - last thing I want to do is spend more money to get out of this problem. Seems they don't use the state way of calculating use - they quadrupled the mileage from my first occurrence to drastically reduce my trade value - they're using 30 days in the shop mileage vs. first occurrence - this common? They are not offering a buy back.

So is this typical for BMW in these deals - offer you something crummy...then what?

They also threatened me if I mentioned arbitration they'd shut the door and send me to customer service to deal with - whatever that means.

Not impressed with BMW customer service with these lemon deals at this point...makes we want out of the brand more than ever.

Any advice to speed this along to a favorable resolution would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Update on my lemon X5d: Well so after a month of nothing...the dealer offers me a "trade assist" that would cost me 6K to get into a new 2012 X5d. Considering they've fixed the same thing 5 times in 2 years, seems I'm lemon law qualified I was expecting something a little better - last thing I want to do is spend more money to get out of this problem. Seems they don't use the state way of calculating use - they quadrupled the mileage from my first occurrence to drastically reduce my trade value - they're using 30 days in the shop mileage vs. first occurrence - this common? They are not offering a buy back.

So is this typical for BMW in these deals - offer you something crummy...then what?

They also threatened me if I mentioned arbitration they'd shut the door and send me to customer service to deal with - whatever that means.

Not impressed with BMW customer service with these lemon deals at this point...makes we want out of the brand more than ever.

Any advice to speed this along to a favorable resolution would be appreciated.
You don't recognize the basic 'disconnect' between the dealer/sales side and the lemon process....

This is being done by the DEALER... perhaps with help from BMW field management...their job is to bully and intimidate you into going away and not lemoning the car. F- them

Just do a formal lemon buyback request cite the federal and state laws under which you are asserting your rights. Tell them them the mileage calc, the price you paid and the dollar amount you expect. Send a certified, return receipt letter to BMW Consumer Affairs (PM me for their fax number).... Point out that the failure of the dealer and BMW regional management to handle this in a fair manner has resulted in yet another lemon titled BMW. Point out that you have not retained counsel, but can do so if necessary- and that BMW will wind up paying your legal costs on top of the buyback amount.

Finally do not expect this to be fast nor friendly...it is adversarial- you are trying to 'unbecome' a customer. Know that you will prevail, press your case, do not expect help. TELL them what you want, TELL them what they owe you, TELL them why you are right. Don't ask. Every step of the way, TELL them...

Good luck

A

Last edited by ard; 12-02-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
I posted before and report that I continue to have constant problems with my 2009 X535D. Very unreliable & disappointing.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
I posted before and report that I continue to have constant problems with my 2009 X535D. Very unreliable & disappointing.
And you havent been able to lemon it? Or do you just suffer and complain but take no actions?

I wonder how resident strange made out...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
I've had no problems with my '12 x5d, in fact, this is my 4th X5, the other 3 were gas, and I never had any recurring or nagging issues.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
The failures were spaced just far enough apart over a period just long enough to avoid the lemon law. Just sharing my experience so others can be informed.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
The failures were spaced just far enough apart over a period just long enough to avoid the lemon law. Just sharing my experience so others can be informed.
Really.

Did you get a legal opinion?

CT kind of sucks...so you did not get to 30 days before two years????

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CT_law.html

Anyway, sorry to hear. I too shared my lemon experience so others could learn...and also bought a 2012 which has been perfect..also so others can learn. Had I decided the diesel x5 was a loser initially I'd have lost out on a great car.

A