Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: car
Why does most of the F10 wheels come with lots of balancing weights?

I am curious that my car and others on the lot have balancing weights that are more than usual and can be seen on the inside of the rims. Is it because the RFTs are heavier and require more weights to balance or those balancing weights place by BMW are lighter than (1/4 ounces each?). Its mainly cosmetic but I am curious as Lexus and Mercedes do not have that much balancing weights on their new rims. Even my new Audi came with zero weights in 3 of the 4 rims.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo588 View Post
.... Even my new Audi came with zero weights in 3 of the 4 rims.

Maybe they forgot to balance those wheels... Sounds like Audi!

Last edited by Erregend; 11-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
What's another few ounces when the car weighs 2 tonnes ?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Just for cosmetic purposes as with some of the rims you can see them behind and its just unsighlty. But anyone can answer my question? BMW wheels have more balancing weights than other brands.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Just for cosmetic purposes as with some of the rims you can see them behind and its just unsighlty. But anyone can answer my question? BMW wheels have more balancing weights than other brands.
I do not share your knowledge. There are not more balancing weights on my BMW wheels compared to other wheels I know of.

And no balancing on a wheel, threefold? That must be some coincidence, or Erregend tells the true story...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Actually, on the inner lip of those 3 have 1/4 to 1/2 ounces. I had to look deep inside. The Audi is smooth so its balanced fine. I found out that the weights used by BMW are made out of Zinc and are in grams rather than ounces. So they are lighter and need more weights than the Iron (Fe) balancing weights.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
In europe its metric, US it's ounces even over her it better to ask for metric balance it might take more weights but it's more accurate
iphon
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Actually, on the inner lip of those 3 have 1/4 to 1/2 ounces. I had to look deep inside. The Audi is smooth so its balanced fine. I found out that the weights used by BMW are made out of Zinc and are in grams rather than ounces. So they are lighter and need more weights than the Iron (Fe) balancing weights.

1) I hope those Iron weights are really Lead (Pb).

2) Some installers put all of the weights as far back as possible for looks but this ends up not really balancing wheel as front AND back weights are often needed.

3) Sometimes the weights are made thinner to guarantee clearing the brake calipers