Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: Trying to decide...
Trade a 2011 535i for a 2012 550i

I've hade a 2011 535i since March. It's a great car with all the options I added (M Sport, etc) but I just can't handle the acceleration lag anymore. There are too many times I try to push it, brace myself in the seat, and nothing happens for nearly a second. My wife drives it sometimes and I just don't feel like its safe for her because she is not used to it. (even her Tahoe is quicker off the line. That's sad. )

Anyway, since I love the car, I don't want to leave the F10. But I don't want to risk the 2012 535i having the same problem. I'm thinking of trading in for the 2012 550i. I know I'll be out money (I paid cash, which I saved for a long time) but I'm still thinking its worth it.

Has anyone done this 2011->2012 upgrade? Care to share your experience?
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Several have reported there is no lag in the 2012's. I know there wasn't in the one I drove.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstucki View Post
I've hade a 2011 535i since March. It's a great car with all the options I added (M Sport, etc) but I just can't handle the acceleration lag anymore. There are too many times I try to push it, brace myself in the seat, and nothing happens for nearly a second. My wife drives it sometimes and I just don't feel like its safe for her because she is not used to it. (even her Tahoe is quicker off the line. That's sad. )

Anyway, since I love the car, I don't want to leave the F10. But I don't want to risk the 2012 535i having the same problem. I'm thinking of trading in for the 2012 550i. I know I'll be out money (I paid cash, which I saved for a long time) but I'm still thinking its worth it.

My service advisor told me that there is a software update to fix the lag problem. I would try that before I took the hit to trade a 2011 for a 2012. My understanding is the 2012 is the same transmission with the software update.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
I have heard rumors that Dinan will be coming out with a Performance engine Software upgrade for the N55 engine early next year. That might be something to consider.

My son got the stage 2 on his 2009 135i convertable N54 engine. 78 More Horsepower; 116 More lb-ft of Torque; Top Speed Governor Removed.

The increased horsepower is nice but the big thing IMO is the additional torque

He realy likes it.

Last edited by Norm37; 11-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
My service advisor told me that there is a software update to fix the lag problem. I would try that before I took the hit to trade a 2011 for a 2012. My understanding is the 2012 is the same transmission with the software update.
Software update fixed my lag issues on my August 2010 build 535.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
You guys know what the software update is called? When mine was in for service a few weeks ago I asked about it, and my CA said that the car drives normally and didn't know about any software updates.

I have an itch to upgrade to the 2012 550xi also, but am not going to scratch it.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
You guys know what the software update is called? When mine was in for service a few weeks ago I asked about it, and my CA said that the car drives normally and didn't know about any software updates.

I have an itch to upgrade to the 2012 550xi also, but am not going to scratch it.
Your SA is a moron. It is a well documented problem. Unfortunately, I do not know the SIB...maybe someone else here can give you the SIB number so you can give it to the SA.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
The ability of dealer SA's to act oblivious to this issue is unfathomable.

I don't have it it but so many have reported it here its clearly real.

To the OP you sound like a candidate for a "trade assist" .... might have to discuss and document "lemon law" to grease the skids.

Search "trade assist" or maybe someone who has done will chime in.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
You have to be specific about what the problem is so the SA will write the RO correctly. When the tech reads it he will search and find the SIB. Anyway I got this done and the lag is totally gone:
*AS PER SIB 12 09 11 REPROGRAMMED VEHICLE
Delayed throttle response when driving off.
Problem occurs under the following
conditions:
High ambient temperatures
Air conditioning switched on
Steering wheel is turned slightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Your SA is a moron. It is a well documented problem. Unfortunately, I do not know the SIB...maybe someone else here can give you the SIB number so you can give it to the SA.
The SA's have to be up on a lot of cars, so it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by TJPark01; 11-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Wow....the OP has an incredible amount of brand loyalty considering how poorly he has been treated. Why in the world would anybody spend huge sums in depreciation to dump an 8 month old unsatisfactory car only to "reinvest" with the same brand. Absolutely incredible.............and a very poor reflection on BMW. I hope BMW resolves this issue for him.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: f10
My car was at the dealer for about 10 days trying to reolve an issue with window trapping function. They had to get BMW second level engineers in germany to dial in to diagnose the problem and find a solution as the techs at the dealership couldn't figure it out. Needles to say after about 1 week of trial and error, they fixed the problem (some kind of junction box issue) but the great thing is that the tech said my car had the latest software update for the everything. I was very pissed when the car was in the shop for 10 days but when i got it back i noticed a difference (delay gone/ tip-in acceleration ) was gone. Take it in and have them fix it. That was the thing that annoyed me the most, but now my care drives great.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Bgstucki and hashas, are you guys specifically talking about a delay off the line (from a stop)?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
You have to be specific about what the problem is so the SA will write the RO correctly. When the tech reads it he will search and find the SIB. Anyway I got this done and the lag is totally gone:
conditions:

Mine also references SIB 12 09 11. In addition service doc says software updated to F010-11-09-504
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
conditions:

Are you saying your car did not have a throttle delay on a cool day or with ac Off?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Quote:

Do not trade it in. There is definitly a fix, i posted the issue and resolution here and this thread is in the top 5 in responses and reads. The fix works as documented by several within my thread, including my Dec build that was fixed.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545870

your SA can contact my SA for details if needed

2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I did have that software update applied a few months ago. I thought it had fixed it, but it was definitely wishful thinking. While sitting still in the car, I can still push the gas pedal all the way in quickly and release it and the car doesn't move at all. (that's just a test I use, obviously not indicative of every day use.)

I believe my dealer will get some 2012 inventory this week so I'm hoping to drive a few and see the difference.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Are you saying your car did not have a throttle delay on a cool day or with ac Off?
Hah, no I just copy and pasted what the SIB says.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in everyone. I did have that software update applied a few months ago. I thought it had fixed it, but it was definitely wishful thinking. While sitting still in the car, I can still push the gas pedal all the way in quickly and release it and the car doesn't move at all. (that's just a test I use, obviously not indicative of every day use.)

I believe my dealer will get some 2012 inventory this week so I'm hoping to drive a few and see the difference.
Thanks, that clarifies things. I still claim this is an intentional behaviour (my buiid is Aug 2011). The test you menion clearly identifies the problem (I've been promoting the use of it in my other thread) as some guys were confused whether they have the issue or not. My MDX lurches forward on the same experiment.

TJpark, have you done it to see for sure?

(While sitting still in the car, I can still push the gas pedal all the way in quickly and release it and the car doesn't move at all. ) Make sure you push it quickly all the way in D when stopped (don't use kickdown) and release immediately. Car will not move it you have the problem. Let us know...
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
(While sitting still in the car, I can still push the gas pedal all the way in quickly and release it and the car doesn't move at all. ) Make sure you push it quickly all the way in D when stopped (don't use kickdown) and release immediately. Car will not move it you have the problem. Let us know...
How does stabbing at the gas pedal prove anything. When would you ever do this in real life?

All I can say is that prior to the update it was difficult to modulate the gas pedal in a smooth manner in low speed city driving, without the car being lurchy or not responding to my inputs. After the update, I no longer have to feather the gas pedal at take off the pedal control is linear and the true test is that I don't have to be careful or drive any differently than any other car.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 AM

Just do it... (all the doubters...) This is not supposed to simulate anything. It is to show you whether you have a delay or not. Is it that hard? If stabbing the gas produces nothing, you have a delay, that's it.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
How does stabbing at the gas pedal prove anything. When would you ever do this in real life?
You're right you'd never use that in real life. But, for me it just shows how long one can wait when stomping on the gas to accelerate quickly. Try this test in any other car and I'm sure the car would react.

If yours doesn't do this anymore then that's a great sign.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
I'd get the Panamera instead. No lag, excellent build, Pdk transmission and handles very well.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.