Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Fuel Saving Tech - it happens on sports cars too

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rst-drive.html

Most of you being enthusiasts have probably read plenty about the 991 generation Porsche 911. But you may not know the details on all the fuel saving measures that the nearly 50 year old sports car has undertaken to stay relevant. Does this list look familiar?
  • Stop Start
  • Electric Power Steering
  • Coasting of engine under deceleration
  • Sport button for more aggressive throttle response

No word on whether it has on-demand alternator, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I know that some of you gnash your teeth at this technology being in our Bimmers but like it or not, it's here to stay.

Oh, and just to prove BMW engineers haven't lost the plot, Porsche can't get Electric Power Steering right either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Line
But once you've adjusted to the utterly horizontal cornering attitude, you'll find yourself wondering what Porsche did to the 911's once-sublime steering. Don't get us wrong: There's enough steering feel and weight to prudently guide the 911 at insane velocities. But this isn't the same feeling we're used to. Nor is it one we'd prefer.

That's because the 2012 Porsche 911's steering is fully electromechanical. It utilizes two sensors one to measure inputs from the driver and one to measure inputs from the road and metes out electrically motivated assist according to a Porsche-specific software calibration. We hesitate to call it numb, but it's far from the granular, feelsome feedback we've experienced elsewhere even in other 911s. Effort, too, is on the light side.

How much this matters to you will depend on how great an importance you place strictly on steering feel. Because, remember, the response is there. And it is stunning.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Oh, and just to prove BMW engineers haven't lost the plot, Porsche can't get Electric Power Steering right either:
I think a lot of the journalists don't like the feel of the EPS because people initially fear change. Not that it's so wrong, but more that it's very different. I think it's precise, but it's true there is some feel lost in the system. However, I think they make way too big a deal about it. It takes anyone with common sense about 5 minutes to get used to it. The variability makes parking and city driving much less cumbersome. For knuckledraggers like us, that's not an issue. For a 110 pound chick it makes it easier to deal with everyday.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
My S2000 has EPS and the steering is quite precise with great feedback IMO.

The fact that EPS is non-parasitic makes it a must in the quest for better performance with lower fuel consumption.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I think a lot of the journalists don't like the feel of the EPS because people initially fear change. Not that it's so wrong, but more that it's very different. I think it's precise, but it's true there is some feel lost in the system. However, I think they make way too big a deal about it. It takes anyone with common sense about 5 minutes to get used to it. The variability makes parking and city driving much less cumbersome. For knuckledraggers like us, that's not an issue. For a 110 pound chick it makes it easier to deal with everyday.
What is interesting is that most reviews accross the board by journalists have been negative when it comes to electronic steering. Ironically, the new Mercedes CLS has received great reviews about the electronic steering.

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
What is interesting is that most reviews accross the board by journalists have been negative when it comes to electronic steering. Ironically, the new Mercedes CLS has received great reviews about the electronic steering.
Exactly. I test drove the CLS 550, and the engine is incredible, but I found the steering to be worse than my 535i. I didn't like it at all.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My S2000 has EPS and the steering is quite precise with great feedback IMO.
My NSX has electric steering too - one of the first ones I believe - and I feel the same: precise with great feedback, in fact I haven't driven anything else that I like more.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I agree and IMO the feel that was lost was all the bad feel like the roughness of the pavement and the pebbles over which the tires are travelling, and the push of the wheel towards the center counteracting the force applied to the steering wheel for the turn. My 550i with IAS steering is just phenomenal for a big sedan, different from my NSX but totally appropiate and satisfying for a big sedan.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
The reason is that MB steering has been numb from the very beginning while BMW and Porsche cars always feel lively so when Journalists say the EPS in the Porsche and BMW feels numb I think they are comparing it to previous Porsches and BMW's, while MB's are compared to previously numb steering from MB so it doesn't make a huge difference.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima