Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 330i
Bad final resistor need help.

I replaced my old oem resistor with a aftermarket off eBay. After 8 months of use. It gave out and it burnt one of the wire. What should I do?

I attached pictures of what had happen. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1320802181.336090.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	300386   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1320802200.331989.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	300387   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1320802220.672085.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	300388  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
We've covered this in the E39 forums as to which FSU's actually hold up over time (you can find it, as always, in the bestlinks under FSU):

See bold red below ...

- What is the canonical thread on the BMW FSU/FSR/Blower Motor Resistor (1) and what is the right brand FSR to purchase (1) (2) when your interior heating & air conditioning HVAC/IHKA blower motor goes haywire (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to repair your own final stage resistor including an autopsy & wiring diagram schematic (1) (2) and why a bad final stage unit will cause the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the blower motor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how not to replace the FSU (1)

BTW, it would be nice to see a photo of the LABEL on your bad FSU so we can add this information to the anecdotal database we've been maintaining.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
First thing I would do is order a replacement resistor.
While waiting for that to come in, confirm you haven't blown any fuses and also confirm you have the correct size fuses installed. You want to make sure a bad/crap FSR isn't drawing too much current (which can over heat wires). I'm not suggesting this is what happened, because where that FSR lives is very cramped and I imagine doesn't whick away heat to well.
Next, with your existing female connector, do you think the lower middle connector is completely fried or do you think some sandpaper and needle pliers will clean it up and make it tight again? If you don't think it is savable, I would poke around realoem to see if you can locate which connector it is. (e.g. link but try some other subgroups too). OR, I have also found my dealer service parts guys pretty fluent in identifying the correct replacement parts. You could just go to them and tell them what you need. It should then just be a matter of crack open the old, replace pins where needed and install the new. I hope you have some wire slack on that harness though in case you have to cut off the old.

Last edited by zQUEz; 11-09-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
We've covered this in the E39 forums as to which FSU's actually hold up over time (you can find it, as always, in the bestlinks under FSU):

See bold red below ...

- What is the canonical thread on the BMW FSU/FSR/Blower Motor Resistor (1) and what is the right brand FSR to purchase (1) (2) when your interior heating & air conditioning HVAC/IHKA blower motor goes haywire (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to repair your own final stage resistor including an autopsy & wiring diagram schematic (1) (2) and why a bad final stage unit will cause the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the blower motor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how not to replace the FSU (1)

BTW, it would be nice to see a photo of the LABEL on your bad FSU so we can add this information to the anecdotal database we've been maintaining.
I'll be sure to take a picture of it. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zQUEz View Post
First thing I would do is order a replacement resistor.
While waiting for that to come in, confirm you haven't blown any fuses and also confirm you have the correct size fuses installed. You want to make sure a bad/crap FSR isn't drawing too much current (which can over heat wires). I'm not suggesting this is what happened, because where that FSR lives is very cramped and I imagine doesn't whick away heat to well.
Next, with your existing female connector, do you think the lower middle connector is completely fried or do you think some sandpaper and needle pliers will clean it up and make it tight again? If you don't think it is savable, I would poke around realoem to see if you can locate which connector it is. (e.g. link but try some other subgroups too). OR, I have also found my dealer service parts guys pretty fluent in identifying the correct replacement parts. You could just go to them and tell them what you need. It should then just be a matter of crack open the old, replace pins where needed and install the new. I hope you have some wire slack on that harness though in case you have to cut off the old.
Thanks for the help. I believe I need to trace the short.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:

See bold red below ...

the resistor that failed on me and gave me numerous issues is from ebay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/quarrymotusa...id=p4340.l2559

I bought the resistor from them for 30 dollars.

I am also wondering where you purchase your resistor and what kind did you get? I found a resistor in the recommended section, Sitronic for 60 dollars, and the Bosch for 90 dollars.

thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veli510 View Post
the resistor that failed on me and gave me numerous issues is from ebay.
The thread I pointed you to gives plenty of anecdotal evidence of what FSUs to avoid, especially the ones on Ebay.

Quote:
I am also wondering where you purchase your resistor and what kind did you get?
Ummmm... er ... it's all quite detailed in the thread I referenced. A whole bunch of people listed what FSU we bought for how much from whom and how long it lasted. If I repeated all that here, I'd end up making a mistake because it's not fresh in my mind.

See also:
- What is the canonical thread on the BMW E39 FSU/FSR/Blower Motor Resistor (1) and what is the right brand FSR to purchase (1) (2) when your interior heating & air conditioning HVAC/IHKA blower motor goes haywire (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to repair your own final stage resistor including an autopsy & wiring diagram schematic (1) (2) and why a bad final stage unit will cause the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the E39 blower motor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how not to replace the FSU (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 11-11-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The thread I pointed you to gives plenty of anecdotal evidence of what FSUs to avoid, especially the ones on Ebay.

Ummmm... er ... it's all quite detailed in the thread I referenced. I mean, how much more information can you ask for? A whole bunch of people, including me, listed what FSU we bought for how much from whom and how long it lasted.

What more do you want?

If you 'really' need more information, see these threads:

- What is the canonical thread on the BMW E39 FSU/FSR/Blower Motor Resistor (1) and what is the right brand FSR to purchase (1) (2) when your interior heating & air conditioning HVAC/IHKA blower motor goes haywire (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to repair your own final stage resistor including an autopsy & wiring diagram schematic (1) (2) and why a bad final stage unit will cause the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the E39 blower motor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how not to replace the FSU (1)
You asked what resistor I used that failed so i gave you a link since you stated earlier that you wanted to input it into the database. As for asking you what kind of brand you got for your replacement; I just wanted to know your input since I don't have a working computer at the moment so im using my phone. But thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to know your input
Sorry for being snippy in my response. I've since deleted most of what I said. The only way I can answer your question is to go to the links that I suggested you read.

Going back to the thread to see what I bought & from whom:
- What is the right brand of FSU/FSR to buy?

It looks like, in post #39, I bought a German ACM FSR for my vehicle (has been working for years).
In post #34, it looks like I bought it from AutoHauzAZ (cheapest price at the time).
In post #46, we list the following (still debatable) recommendations:

Quote:
Probably recommended:
- Sitronic/Bosch (made in Germany)
- ACM (made in Germany)
- Behr/Hella (made in Germany)

Probably not recommended:
- Behr/Hella (made in China)
- GKR/Valeo (made in France)
- Valeo/Sitronic
- GKR/Siemens (made in France)

Almost certainly not recommended:
- Meyle
- Uro
- GKR/Denso
- Power Pro
- Deutsche Parts/Hamburg Technic (sold on Ebay, made in China)

NOTE: Many FSUs are double branded; and very many are tri branded; some are even quad branded - so they are listed above in the order of who actually manufactured them.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.