Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 635csi
power steering pump

Hi,
Just rebuilt my power steering pump on my '89 6er this weekend. Did all pumping and bleeding stuff, and everything seems okay. Today on the way to work, the power steering growl came back, pull off the freeway, and shut off the engine. Pop the hood and looked, didn't see any leaks at first, and it seemed like it was very hot (power steering components ). Under the car no leaks at first, after about 5 minutes there was a puddle the size of my hand under the power steering pump, and drips down the steering side of the car. Checked the power steering tank, and there was only about 2 inches of atf fluid in it. That was when I found the puddle, I felt around the pump itself and no leaks, except where this hex bolt goes into the pump in the bottom. What is this bolt for? I tried to tighten it up, and it seemed to go in too far! I unscrewed out back to where it was and noticed what looked like dried locktite pieces coming out in the threading of the pump. Thanks for any help on this.
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM

The bolt

I just would like to know what the bolt is for!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy635 View Post
Hi,
Just rebuilt my power steering pump on my '89 6er this weekend. Did all pumping and bleeding stuff, and everything seems okay. Today on the way to work, the power steering growl came back, pull off the freeway, and shut off the engine. Pop the hood and looked, didn't see any leaks at first, and it seemed like it was very hot (power steering components ). Under the car no leaks at first, after about 5 minutes there was a puddle the size of my hand under the power steering pump, and drips down the steering side of the car. Checked the power steering tank, and there was only about 2 inches of atf fluid in it. That was when I found the puddle, I felt around the pump itself and no leaks, except where this hex bolt goes into the pump in the bottom. What is this bolt for? I tried to tighten it up, and it seemed to go in too far! I unscrewed out back to where it was and noticed what looked like dried locktite pieces coming out in the threading of the pump. Thanks for any help on this.
Did you unscrew that bolt when you rebuilt the pump? There's two pumps used on your car. It may be a spring retainer (?) Did you look at the Realoem.com diagram? Do you have a barrel shaped PS reservoir? They have a non-replaceable filter in the bottom and should be changed if the pump required rebuilding.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks catso for responding! At the realoem I saw the 2 types of pumps, mine is the 130 bar one that looks like the older pumps. I never loosened or touched the screw on the bottom. I just noticed that thats where it was leaking after the rebuild. I pulled the pump off lastnite and will be taking pics of it to show what I'm talking about.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Sorry for not posting any pics, I just ending up buying a new one.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
A lot of BMW 635 owners do not know this but when you check the pas oil level you must NOT have the engine running and you must remove the reservoir cover and then keep pressing the brake pedal until it goes hard and dead and the oil level must not exceed 10 mm below the top of the tank, Under no circumstances top up the oil level without doing as I have instructed otherwise pas oil will be forced out of the system as there will be too much oil in it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
cdova

Mein Auto: e23, e24, e28, e32, e38
the power steering growl is caused by a bad filter in the power steering Fluid canister; try BAVAUTO.com or pelicanparts.com