Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Audio streaming via bluetooth

I checked out the connection on a non-premium audio X3 today. Hooked up my older Ipod with the provided cable and was able to control the Ipod thru the sonsole display. If I have a newer Ipod or Iphone with bluetooth, will I be able to do the same as if it was hard-wired but thru the bluetooth connection? or will I have to switch artists/songs on my Ipod/Iphone? I like being able to see it on the X3's console and control it thru the Idrive.
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Yes, you can stream audio through Bluetooth and control everything through the wheel as well as the I-drive.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I saw a report that said pairing the Iphone or Ipod is painfully slow. What do you think Thrill? Someone else mentioned that his wouldn't work when he got into the X3 so he turned off the bluetooth before getting in then turned it on in his phone. Does that sound familiar? I would think once it's paired the X3 system should recognize it when you gety in. I have an old phone (not smartphone) so am looking into getting a new one. Seems like the Iphone 4S is the logical choice given the integration but wonder how the android based phones do too.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2011 (F25) XDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I saw a report that said pairing the Iphone or Ipod is painfully slow. What do you think Thrill? Someone else mentioned that his wouldn't work when he got into the X3 so he turned off the bluetooth before getting in then turned it on in his phone. Does that sound familiar? I would think once it's paired the X3 system should recognize it when you gety in. I have an old phone (not smartphone) so am looking into getting a new one. Seems like the Iphone 4S is the logical choice given the integration but wonder how the android based phones do too.
I use a HTC Desire android smartphone in my F25 28i.
Pairing process is easy and quick. Bluetooth on my phone is always on by default. Bluteooth works OK most of the times, but not always.

When I step in and start the car, the phone is always recognized automatically, but sometimes I have the following glitches:
1- My contacts take an eternity to upload into the car system (the car screen shows the message "updating phone book" and just freezes), so I am reduced to use the phone itself to look up my contacts and dial. However, the sound is always routed through the car speakers after that.
2- Phone is recognized (it shows on the car screen as a paired phone in BT menu), but it is impossible to control it either with the iDrive or with the buttons on the steering wheel. In that case, you have to use the phone itself to make calls and talk, as if you had no BT at all... To fix the problem I had to cancel the phone from the BT menu and restart the pairing process from scratch.

Note sure if the glitches come from the car system or the phone itself... I talked to an engineer friend who's working in hi tech. He drives an Audi Q3 and he also experiences some glitches sometimes. He basically thinks that BT is an unreliable near field wireless system and most of the problems stem from the Bluetooth concept itself.

Last edited by euclidX3; 10-26-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 PM

i was going to say maybe you need to have your BT off before getting into the X3 and then turn it on when you are in so the connection protocol is established for the first time. Also, maybe that's what I heard about getting the contacts to load.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011 (F25) XDrive 28i
Well you may be right, but imagine the hassle... Each time you get out of the car, you must not forget to turn off BT on phone and once you're back in, think of turning it on again ... I dont think that's how BT should work. Everything should be seamless (which is the case 80% of the time)...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM

I have two phones paired with my X3, a work-issued BlackBerry (hate it, hate it, hate it) and a personal iPhone 4S (love it, love it, love it). The iPhone will play music over either Bluetooth or the white cable. I have no music on my BlackBerry, so have never tried to use it as anything other than a phone.

The hassle for me is with phone calls. I sometimes want to make calls on the iPhone, and I sometimes want to make calls on the BlackBerry. The X3 supports multiple paired phones, but does not support having more than one active paired phone at a time. It takes a few clicks and twists to change phones. The real hassle is when one phone is active, and a call comes in on the other phone.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 PM

I suppose you could have the 4S paired to the X3 and the blackberry paired to a BT headset. Seems like the "old-fashioned" way.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Both the 4S and the BlackBerry are also paired to a Motorola H790 Bluetooth earpiece that is smarter than the X3. It supports both phones as active at the same time, and even referees an incoming call from one phone if the other phone is in use. I didn't expect BMW's implementation to be as flexible, but I can dream...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have an IPhone 4 and it pairs within seconds and does so every time I get in the car. Haven't had any issues yet. Seems to work flawlessly for me.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
Quote:
My #1 'monster' (much loved son!) has trouble with his Blackberry but not with his iPhone 4. I have an iPod, iPhone 3GS & 4S all working well now thank you BMW. (It only took 2 weeks with the dealer, a rewire and replacement components to fix the previous faults!)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: waiting for my new x3
I picked up my new 2012 X3 last Friday. I have a driod for phone but good old classic ipod for music with over 2000 songs. I did not get premium sound on my new x3. No issues at all with playing the ipod. Easy to use and no wait time for songs to "pop" up.

My phonebook from my driod syncs quickly. I am having some trouble saying a name and the system not always recognizing the correct name. I guess it could be me not speaking clearly enough.

Last edited by tmk; 11-01-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM

I have an older Ipod Nano. Planning on getting a newer one. Is there any advantage to "hard-wiring" the Ipod to the jack installed in the X3 instead of using the bluetooth connection to get music? do you lose the bluetooth connection in the car sometimes? I'm assuming you see the music selections and control what's playing on screen using bluetooth.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
If I buy a non-premium audio X3 with the enhanced bluetooth, would I be able to use voice commands to play music from my phone? ...i.e. if I say "Listen to Arcade Fire Funeral" into my Nexus One, it will automatically start playing that album.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I have an older Ipod Nano. Planning on getting a newer one. Is there any advantage to "hard-wiring" the Ipod to the jack installed in the X3 instead of using the bluetooth connection to get music? do you lose the bluetooth connection in the car sometimes? I'm assuming you see the music selections and control what's playing on screen using bluetooth.
If you connect with the cable, you get album artwork on the I-drive screen where as with Bluetooth streaming you do not. Also, when you are hooked up with the cable, it charges your device (bluetooth obviously uses up battery life). I have never lost BT connection as of yet when using it.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
If you connect with the cable, you get album artwork on the I-drive screen where as with Bluetooth streaming you do not. Also, when you are hooked up with the cable, it charges your device (bluetooth obviously uses up battery life). I have never lost BT connection as of yet when using it.

I thought I read that you only get album artwork if you have Nav. Is this true? If I choose not to get the Nav, will I be able to control a USB drive via the iDrive? I really don't care about the album art as much as being able to control the music selection.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 AM

Artwork without Navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar7 View Post
I thought I read that you only get album artwork if you have Nav. Is this true? If I choose not to get the Nav, will I be able to control a USB drive via the iDrive? I really don't care about the album art as much as being able to control the music selection.
Hello,

Trust me artwork is possible from both an iPod connected via 'Y' cable and armrest USB/phono as well as an iPhone cradle installation with the correct pack. Additional iPhones can be used via Bluetooth for calls and audio playback but without artwork.
Hope this helps?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:43 PM

I spoke too soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMog View Post
My #1 'monster' (much loved son!) has trouble with his Blackberry but not with his iPhone 4. I have an iPod, iPhone 3GS & 4S all working well now thank you BMW. (It only took 2 weeks with the dealer, a rewire and replacement components to fix the previous faults!)
iPhone's no longer working again! Vehicle is to return to the dealer for a third time - what a carry on this is!