Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
z4 alarm kit #65 73 0 309 944 w/motion detector

Hi, I am installing this car alarm and I don't see or feel the wire in the middle consol to plug the motion detector.
I have followed the instructions posted by DaveZ in the HOW TO tread, is it possible that it is not there, I found the one under the hood.
My car is a 2008 3.0 SI fab: 03-2008
Do I have to also remove the center consol and if so, is there a HOW TO somewhere.
Thank you
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars01 View Post
Hi, I am installing this car alarm and I don't see or feel the wire in the middle consol to plug the motion detector.
I have followed the instructions posted by DaveZ in the HOW TO tread, is it possible that it is not there, I found the one under the hood.
My car is a 2008 3.0 SI fab: 03-2008
Do I have to also remove the center consol and if so, is there a HOW TO somewhere.
Thank you
How did you get the rear RH panel off of you car to install the siren without breaking it?

as for the console wire, the instructions say just feel around.

I went with the coupe alarm so i can't really help but, the wire under hood for the hood switch was actually above and behind the mater cylinder and mixed with other wires running along the area under the windshield... it was not "behind the master cylinder" like the instructions said
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, thank you for the reply.
For the hood switch, mine where it was suppose to be like in the instructions.
About the the rear RH panel (bumper cover), that's what i'm trying to move right now, took out the 3 platic rivets and the 3 screws but it won't move, not further advance that you are there must be some kind of clips holding it.
I was thinking of removing the plastic that covers the wheel well, not sure if it would help
Finding the wire in the center console for the motion detector, I manage to go has far as toutching the hand brake lever and didn't find anything.

Those instructions aren't fully explain, when you first look at it, it is very simple but when the real live comes in play it's another story

Not sure but this might help http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352257

Last edited by Mars01; 10-21-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: RELATED TREAD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
?

have you gotten the bumper free yet?
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, yes the bumper is free and the siren install also found the wire for the motion detector in the center console and everything is put back in its place.

Next step, the dealer to get it program, this coming Wednesday.

After reading the instructions for removing the complete bumper I removed another screw underneath the bumper, the one that is almost under the license plate, pull the bumper slightly in and out from the bottom to get it loose, took the upper end of the bumper near the wheel well and pull lightly, it came out fairly easily. The only thing that hold it on the upper side are little tab, when you get the first one loose the rest is a piece of cake
Hope this help you out
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
have you gotten the bumper free yet?
Hi, how are things going with your bumper, if I managed to take it of with my 0 mechanic backgrown, anybody can do it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, got my alarm program Wednesday, the stealership charge me 1.7 hour, total cost 251.69 CND. Asked the stealer if they had made physical test and he answered that every thing was ok

When I arrived home after a 2 hours drive I was in hurry to test it. The system is the same has it was before they worked on it, no motion detection, no hood and no tilt.

Call them back and now they arguing that the trouble in from the installation that I did and asking me to pay them to take a look at the installation.

I have followed the instructions very carefully, could I have miss something.
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars01 View Post
Hi, how are things going with your bumper, if I managed to take it of with my 0 mechanic backgrown, anybody can do it.
how'd you get the bumper loose?

I still haven't finished. i've been busy with work. I don't think i'm going to let the dealer touch my car after reading your post and the the crap they tried to pull on me to begin with. there are several good mechs with computers are here. I think i'll let them have at it.
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, after reading the instructions for removing the complete bumper http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130986 post #20 I removed another screw underneath the bumper, the one that is almost under the license plate, pull the bumper cover slightly in and out from the bottom to get it loose, took the upper end of the bumper near the wheel well and pull lightly, it came out fairly easily. The only thing that hold it on the upper side are little tab, when you get the first one loose the rest is a piece of cake
Hope this help you out

Last edited by Mars01; 10-31-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
I finanlly installed the siren.. but it does not chirp. did yours chirp after install and before your coding nightmare?
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
To get it to chirp you will have to get it programed. While your at it you might want to review the other car options, but for the 2003 cars there isn't a lot else to change. Daytime running lights, locks on rollaway, hardtop detection come to mind off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
To get it to chirp you will have to get it programed. While your at it you might want to review the other car options, but for the 2003 cars there isn't a lot else to change. Daytime running lights, locks on rollaway, hardtop detection come to mind off the top of my head.
I figured so but, a lot of people have chirping before coding
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, glad to see that you made it out with the siren, and for your question about the chirping, yes mine does, ounce when I lock it and twice for the unlock and this before coding it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
I helped with installing an alarm on a 2008 X3, when we got done it chirped (the lights flashed even before the install) but it still needed programing for the motion sensor. Both for my Z4 and the X3 it took two trips to get the programing right so double check everything before you leave.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
I helped with installing an alarm on a 2008 X3, when we got done it chirped (the lights flashed even before the install) but it still needed programing for the motion sensor. Both for my Z4 and the X3 it took two trips to get the programing right so double check everything before you leave.
Hi, this isn't the first post that I can see that it took more than ounce to get it coded; I'm in the same situation, returning this Wednesday at another dealer.

Did you ever knew what went wrong the first time, are the mechanics at BMW trained or are they broom sweepers?

About BMW do you know if they are aware of the poor quality of the mechanics that the dealer's employs, looking at it, it doesn’t look that hard to do the coding the proper way the first time?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
I don't know what it was, each car was taken to a different dealer, but both places got it right the second time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars01 View Post
Hi, this isn't the first post that I can see that it took more than ounce to get it coded; I'm in the same situation, returning this Wednesday at another dealer.

Did you ever knew what went wrong the first time, are the mechanics at BMW trained or are they broom sweepers?

About BMW do you know if they are aware of the poor quality of the mechanics that the dealer's employs, looking at it, it doesn’t look that hard to do the coding the proper way the first time?
i ordered the DIS blah blah GT1 software to code it myself, looking for a crappy $100 netbook to handle it.
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Mars01 Mars01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: Z4 SI 2008, FORD EXPEDIT
Hi, got it programme this morning and now everything is working has suppose to.

By the way do you know where I can find the meaning of these figures

SA number:1CA, 205, 224, 249, 255, 2VB, 350, 354, 399. 430, 438, 441, 459, 470, 493, 494, 520, 521, 522, 534, 540, 550, 5GA, 639, 645, 662, 677, 692, 704, 785, 823, 845, 853, 876, 838, 548, 896, 302

Thank you all for your help
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Cvaria's Avatar
Cvaria Cvaria is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars01 View Post
Hi, got it programme this morning and now everything is working has suppose to.

By the way do you know where I can find the meaning of these figures

SA number:1CA, 205, 224, 249, 255, 2VB, 350, 354, 399. 430, 438, 441, 459, 470, 493, 494, 520, 521, 522, 534, 540, 550, 5GA, 639, 645, 662, 677, 692, 704, 785, 823, 845, 853, 876, 838, 548, 896, 302 ($302)

Thank you all for your help
I got the software ( NCSExpert, INPA, DIS and SSS) and coded the alarm myself with an OBDII cable .... after an incredible learning curve.



the FA number/VO is the code for all the options on your car that came from the factory. $302 is the alarm that needed to be added to the FA/VO in the AKMB and ALSZ ECUs.

after adding $302 and processing the car, the DWS options show up in the list of configurable options.

i beat the dealer! cost of my alarm... $100 ... bonus: i can now change what ever i want, whenever i want... no dealer scumbags needed. i can reset airbag lights and more... my car!




Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Is the security of your BMW not worth $700? For me it was a no-brainer. Of course.
on the 5er it's standard, but I paid extra for the lo-jack. cheap insurance.
HA! cocky lunacy
__________________
I like my 2003 Z4 2.5i... but love my smelly old 2002 Wrangler SE and evil 2007 HD Sportster 883/1200 conv!


Last edited by Cvaria; 01-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
papitosabe's Avatar
papitosabe papitosabe is offline
WalkTheWalk
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 247
Mein Auto: 06 Z4 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
I got the software ( NCSExpert, INPA, DIS and SSS) and coded the alarm myself with an OBDII cable .... after an incredible learning curve.



the FA number/VO is the code for all the options on your car that came from the factory. $302 is the alarm that needed to be added to the FA/VO in the AKMB and ALSZ ECUs.

after adding $302 and processing the car, the DWS options show up in the list of configurable options.

i beat the dealer! cost of my alarm... $100 ... bonus: i can now change what ever i want, whenever i want... no dealer scumbags needed. i can reset airbag lights and more... my car!






HA! cocky lunacy
good stuff man..congrats...never pay retail!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
mini-me mini-me is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 550xi, Z4MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
I got the software ( NCSExpert, INPA, DIS and SSS) and coded the alarm myself with an OBDII cable .... after an incredible learning curve.

the FA number/VO is the code for all the options on your car that came from the factory. $302 is the alarm that needed to be added to the FA/VO in the AKMB and ALSZ ECUs.

after adding $302 and processing the car, the DWS options show up in the list of configurable options.

i beat the dealer! cost of my alarm... $100 ... bonus: i can now change what ever i want, whenever i want... no dealer scumbags needed. i can reset airbag lights and more... my car!
Any hits on the process to code this? I bought the cable and am trying to follow the instructions here but NCS EXPERT complains of an invalid VIN.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms