Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Oil Change Interval on New 335d

Greetings! I just took delivery of '11 335d to join your ranks! I look forward to be a member here.

I wanted to see if you'd help out a newbie. When I flip through my on-board computer screen to the service info, the oil change screen says "5/2011", and does not say the number of miles. I should also note, there is no SES light, and I bought a "new" demo car with 2,000 miles on odometer.

Doesn't this mean the car is overdue for an oil change? The dealer's service dept told me over the phone that my car is not due for service until next February.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCJ View Post
Greetings! I just took delivery of '11 335d to join your ranks! I look forward to be a member here.

I wanted to see if you'd help out a newbie. When I flip through my on-board computer screen to the service info, the oil change screen says "5/2011", and does not say the number of miles. I should also note, there is no SES light, and I bought a "new" demo car with 2,000 miles on odometer.

Doesn't this mean the car is overdue for an oil change? The dealer's service dept told me over the phone that my car is not due for service until next February.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
The factory recomended oil change intervals are determined,basically,by the onboard computer,I'm almost certain,however,that their policy is that "low mileage" vehicles get a yearly change regardless of how few miles you've done.I doubt that they'll give a free change now and I don't think you have anything to worry about.But the worst that can happen if you approach the dealer for a free oil change is that they'll say "no".There's no harm in asking,IMO.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 11-17-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The 5/2011 indicated the car was built and prepped for sale prior to 5/2010 or at least close to it. Either the dealer did one oil change but forgot to reset the computer, or they had not done the oil change due to the low miles (likely the case), if latter, insist they do a free oil change and other required check ups.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 335d M-Sport LCI
Agree, should have made them change it before you bought it. Hindsight 20-20, blah blah blah. I changed mine at 5k and plan to do so on my own in between the free yearly intervals.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
The factory recomended oil change intervals are determined,basically,by the onboard computer,I'm almost certain,however,that their policy is that "low mileage" vehicles get a yearly change regardless of how few miles you've done.I doubt that they'll give a free change now and I don't think you have anything to worry about.But the worst that can happen if you approach the dealer for a free oil change is that they'll say "no".There's no harm in asking,IMO.
Both of my oil changes were low mileage changes. In both cases the car notified me it was time to change when it hit the date. I do not remember the exact specifics of what the car did though. Bottom line though to the OP this should not even be a debatable thing with the dealer. I'd schedule a change and when you take it in if they try and say otherwise then just point to the output on the car.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
I bought mine this september and the oil service was due in october (the car was on the lot for a while) with only 1K miles on it. They did the change without any fuss.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Thank you. I made a service appointment for tomorrow morning.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:32 AM

I dropped off the car this morning. Service advisor didn't give me any trouble. He said the discrepency was due to the on-board computer counting the annual service interval from the production date, while the dealership system was counting from the in-service date.

He said after today's service, the two dates will be synchronized.

Thanks for everyone's input.