Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 bmw 535i
1987 535i bmw How to use....

Hi we have a 1987 bmw 535i series, and we can not seem to figure out how to use the cruise control. Also if anyone knows what are the yellow red and green lights on the dash for? near the speedometer its a line going from i think red to green. Thanks if anyone can help it did not come with a owners manual so some of the things in the car were not sure how to use or what they do.
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
The green and red light are indicators on how much further your car has until it will explode.

Sorry seriously, They use to mean when you should get the oil changed, now they mean nothing. Most likely the cruise comtrol is not working. You pull the stalk back and that sets the speed. If you hit the brake it cuts off.

Andy
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: '02 525i/5
Actually you push the stalk forward to set, pulling it back is for resume. Up or down will shut it off, same as brake.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyclements View Post
Hi we have a 1987 bmw 535i series, and we can not seem to figure out how to use the cruise control. Also if anyone knows what are the yellow red and green lights on the dash for? near the speedometer its a line going from i think red to green. Thanks if anyone can help it did not come with a owners manual so some of the things in the car were not sure how to use or what they do.

To use the cruise control, you push the stalk forward. If I recall, you can push it forward once (or more) to increase speed and pull it back to cancel. It's been a while since I owned one but that's what I remember.

As far as the colored lights, those indicate your service periods. In many cases, the old e-28/e-24/e-30 dashes would have issues stemming from the battery inside that helped keep these lights on and current, indicating how long until service was due again. When the battery failed, not only would the lights act up and show both green and red, other gauges wouldn't work. The gas gauge would show full when the car is empty or show empty when full, the temp gauge wouldn't work, etc. There are several write ups on the internet to fix this and it is very, very easy to do with the correct battery and some soldering skill.

Check out the site mye28.com. It's an excellent site with a group of great owners. You can't go wrong and they will help you in every way imaginable.
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS
'90 Saab 900T
'79 Datsun 280zx
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B