Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Auto Fold Mirror Fuse

So I heard that most E39 are prewired for the auto fold feature (like the E39 M5). How can you tell if your car has this feature? What fuse number is it? Searched, but to no avail.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 PM
sidneyj sidneyj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,710
Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by King540i View Post
So I heard that most E39 are prewired for the auto fold feature (like the E39 M5). How can you tell if your car has this feature? What fuse number is it? Searched, but to no avail.
Thanks
You heard wrong. You need mirrors, window switch and module for passenger side.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
JimLev JimLev is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,617
Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
The car is prewired for M5 mirrors, F29 controls the drivers side and F6 for the pass side.
All you need to do is plug in the existing cables to new M5 door modules (both sides) and then plug in M5 (or knock-off) mirrors into the door modules and your all set.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:21 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Thanks sidneyj

So Jimlev, F29 and F6 are the fuse numbers, correct? I am assuming these fuse numbers are located in the glove compartment area. Just to make sure, my car is a 98 E39 and it IS prewired (12pin connector). Are the M5 door modules just the switches for the mirrors? If so, can I just use a simple SPDT switch for the job?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,661
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Here's some E39 Fuse Locations

Here's just a few of the images that get posted all the time when forum members ask about the location of fuses in the e39:



glove box fuses






trunk fuses


__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
JimLev JimLev is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,617
Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Yes, those fuses should be above the glove box. The 12 pin connectors are already plugged into the door modules that are in your car now.
The M5 door modules are more than just switches, look at your drivers door, it has the switches for all of the windows as well as both mirrors.
The pass dor module is hidden behind the door panel.
You can operate M5 mirrors (rotate up/down) without purchasing new M5 door modules (about $600 now).
I bought the M5 door modules about 5 years ago at a discount.
I've helped a few guys with this wiring diagram for using a $5 toggle switch to control the rotate motor.
Make sure the switch you get is spring loaded and returns to the center (off) position.











Click here

Last edited by JimLev; 11-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 PM
sidneyj sidneyj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,710
Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i
I stand corrected yes the wires are all there but again the stock mirrors don't work and you do need the correct drivers side window switch and passenger side module.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyj View Post
I stand corrected yes the wires are all there but again the stock mirrors don't work and you do need the correct drivers side window switch and passenger side module.
Thanks sidneyj, yes I knew that I need to get the M5 mirrors with the motor, how else will they go up and down.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Here's just a few of the images that get posted all the time when forum members ask about the location of fuses in the e39:
Thank you so much Q! I was actually looking at another thread in which you had the same exact post. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Yes, those fuses should be above the glove box. The 12 pin connectors are already plugged into the door modules that are in your car now.
The M5 door modules are more than just switches, look at your drivers door, it has the switches for all of the windows as well as both mirrors.
The pass dor module is hidden behind the door panel.
You can operate M5 mirrors (rotate up/down) without purchasing new M5 door modules (about $600 now).
I bot the M5 modules about 5 years ago at a discount.
I've helped a few guys with this wiring diagram for using a $5 toggle switch to control the rotate motor.
Make sure the switch you get is spring loaded and returns to the center (off) position.
Thank you so much Jim! Very helpful. So you did your own wiring from the switch to the mirrors and this eliminated the need for the M5 modules. Just install switch (btw, where did you put your switch?) to power source and to the mirrors as shown in diagram and just press switch when you want the mirrors to go up and down. Please confirm. Thanks

Also Jim, where did you run your wires from the passenger and driver side mirrors to the switch (for a clean install)?

Lol, sorry for excessive questions, but also where did you get your 12 volt power source from to connect to the switch from?

Just in case, the M5 modules are plug and play correct?

Last edited by GreenTiger; 11-20-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Jim is aweseom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
&amp;quot;Clunker&amp;quot; *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,601
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by King540i View Post
Thank you so much Jim! Very helpful. So you did your own wiring from the switch to the mirrors and this eliminated the need for the M5 modules. Just install switch (btw, where did you put your switch?) to power source and to the mirrors as shown in diagram and just press switch when you want the mirrors to go up and down. Please confirm. Thanks

Also Jim, where did you run your wires from the passenger and driver side mirrors to the switch (for a clean install)?

Lol, sorry for excessive questions, but also where did you get your 12 volt power source from to connect to the switch from?

Just in case, the M5 modules are plug and play correct?
Well, I guess you can really make an E-39 last forever. Just takes money and time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM
JimLev JimLev is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,617
Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by King540i View Post
Thank you so much Jim! Very helpful. So you did your own wiring from the switch to the mirrors and this eliminated the need for the M5 modules. Just install switch (btw, where did you put your switch?) to power source and to the mirrors as shown in diagram and just press switch when you want the mirrors to go up and down. Please confirm. Thanks

Also Jim, where did you run your wires from the passenger and driver side mirrors to the switch (for a clean install)?

Lol, sorry for excessive questions, but also where did you get your 12 volt power source from to connect to the switch from?

Just in case, the M5 modules are plug and play correct?
--------------------------
No, I didn't use a toggle switch, I bought the M5 door modules about 5 years ago.
I've helped a few guys with the switch wiring diagram for using a $5 toggle switch to control the rotate motors so they wouldn't have to spend $$$$$ for the M5 door modules.
You can grab power from the fuses above the glove box or the cig lighter wiring.
You can put the switch anywhere you want, bur you will need to run wires fron the switch thru the rubber boot in the body to the door so you can connect them to the mirrow wires.

If you get the mirrors and M5 door modules it is plug and play, nothing else to do.
I looked up when I bought the M5 modules, it was 5 years ago and I got them for ~40% off list IIRC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7958.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	301982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7967.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	301983  

Last edited by JimLev; 11-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
--------------------------
No, I didn't use a toggle switch, I bought the M5 door modules about 5 years ago.
I've helped a few guys with the switch wiring diagram for using a $5 toggle switch to control the rotate motors so they wouldn't have to spend $$$$$ for the M5 door modules.
You can grab power from the fuses above the glove box or the cig lighter wiring.
You can put the switch anywhere you want, bur you will need to run wires fron the switch thru the rubber boot in the body to the door so you can connect them to the mirrow wires.

If you get the mirrors and M5 door modules it is plug and play, nothing else to do.
I looked up when I bought the M5 modules, it was 5 years ago and I got them for ~40% off list IIRC.
Thanks Jim. Do you know a good source for the miyama ms500j switch. Can't seem to find any online.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
JimLev JimLev is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,617
Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Try Digi-Key.
It doesn't need to be this exact switch.
Any DPDT that has the center position as OFF will work.
Look for ON - OFF - ON with a spring back to center position.
I think C&K makes them too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Try Digi-Key.
It doesn't need to be this exact switch.
Any DPDT that has the center position as OFF will work.
Look for ON - OFF - ON with a spring back to center position.
I think C&K makes them too.
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM
aa240sx's Avatar
aa240sx aa240sx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 622
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
I've used JimLev's method and followed it to a T. Works perfect and bypasses all of the fusebox related stuff. Nearly plug and play. I also used a toggle switch which I keep in the slider just beneath the armrest and tapped the 'always on' power from the cig lighter.
__________________
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock


Last edited by aa240sx; 11-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,349
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Doing a search in the bestlinks for 'folding' and 'mirror', I find currently:
- Mirrors, Remote power folding mirrors installation
- M5 Mirror Install
- M5 Mirror Install Diy
- Mirrors, Remote power folding mirrors installation
- Mirrors, wide-angle mirrors installation

Without doing any extra searches, I can still cull out duplicates and bad links. Then, adding this reference, we can get the following for others to benefit in the future from:

- How to add M5 remote power folding mirrors to your E39 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
I've used JimLev's method and followed it to a T. Works perfect and bypasses all of the fusebox related stuff. Nearly plug and play. I also used a toggle switch which I keep in the slider just beneath the armrest and tapped the 'always on' power from the cig lighter.
Thanks for the input aa240. Did you have to remove a lot of dash to get to the wiring in order to wire both sides? Also, which switch did you use?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
GreenTiger GreenTiger is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 713
Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Doing a search in the bestlinks for 'folding' and 'mirror', I find currently:
- Mirrors, Remote power folding mirrors installation
- M5 Mirror Install
- M5 Mirror Install Diy
- Mirrors, Remote power folding mirrors installation
- Mirrors, wide-angle mirrors installation

Without doing any extra searches, I can still cull out duplicates and bad links. Then, adding this reference, we can get the following for others to benefit in the future from:

- How to add M5 remote power folding mirrors to your E39 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
Thanks blubee, very helpful as usual. Thanks for the links.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms