Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
GT Suspension

Hello All,

Question : After about 3 weeks with my 535ix GT, I feel like it is a bit top heavy/floaty. Has anyone else noticed this? And if so, has anyone replaced the springs/shocks to change the ride characteristics? Maybe I just need to give it more time to get used to, which I have since the first day, so opinions appreciated.

I do not see any of the packages offering a tighter suspension, but whould have the sport package given me this?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Have you tried driving it in sport mode?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Yes - I'm trying to find out if that actually tightens the suspension (stabilization, roll bars, anything...). I have my SA looking in to what these setting do besides changing the shifting response of the engine:

- Sport mode
- Sport+ mode
- moving the shifter left and "DS" shows up in the console (you can do this and also put it in Sport mode)

Thx!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM

The sport mode (not the transmission DS) does 'something' in m GT, can really tell you what but the car gets stiffer. And my car doesn't have dynamic handling package.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks - good to know. I thought the same thing and will keep it in that mode more often now.

I thought I saw on one of our original exchanges that you opted for ZDH and looking at the manual it also seems to state that you can select more firm chassis and/or shift dynamics by drilling down with idrive. I could not do that and don't see "sport mode" in my setting either like they show in an idrive screen shot.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM

I did originally order the ZDH but when I changed the order to the xdrive somehow they missed the ZDH. Later I discovered That the ZDH wasn't listed in the PO sent to Germany, so when they re-ordered the car they missed it and when I noticed the car had already gone into production. Iwas glad I could change the order ten days before the ED.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Gotcha - driving in sport mode for now. I may add the 550 springs and sway bar if I can.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Sport mode can be configured to change the chassis and improve handling or can also be configured to change the chassis as well as the engine and transmission dynamics. You get to choose one or both in this mode. In Sport +, you get a further tightening of the chassis/suspension/steering and engine/transmission dynamics but there is only one setting. Both Sport and Sport + have significant changes in throttle tip-in and gear changes, but Sport+ holds gears longer, both on the up and down shifts. Combine that with the DS gear selection and the GT is quite sporty.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

magnumforc - I can confirm 1000% that in the 2012 GT's there is no chassis or engine settings when looking in the idrive menu or when selecting the sport mode.and was wondering if that was indeed in the 2011 GT's software package.

My SA was confused that it was not there either, and from the f10 forums, it does apear to be there.

I would like to go in to sport mode and select the chassis option, but not the engine option.

Can you confirm that you can or cannot make that change in your 2011 options?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
magnumforc - I can confirm 1000% that in the 2012 GT's there is no chassis or engine settings when looking in the idrive menu or when selecting the sport mode.and was wondering if that was indeed in the 2011 GT's software package.

My SA was confused that it was not there either, and from the f10 forums, it does apear to be there.

I would like to go in to sport mode and select the chassis option, but not the engine option.

Can you confirm that you can or cannot make that change in your 2011 options?

Thanks!
Absolutely I can confirm that by pressing the switch in the console I can select "Sport" and then via the iDrive controller, select Chassis or Driveline or Both and press down the iDrive button to select. When each is selected, it lights up on the screen diagram to show what you have closen, either or both.

In Sport + mode, the screen lights up showing both chassis and driveline changes are in effect and the screen diagram is lit showing the driveline and suspension in color. You cannot make any selections in Sport +. It's either all the way or nothing.

The same holds true for our 2010. (We have two GT's, a white 2010 and a black 2011 xDrive. Kind of like a Scottie and a Westie!) Both have the same exact setup.

I fully agree on the disappointment in not being able to select modes. I drive in Sport with the chassis enhancement all the time as I lke the ride. I don't have the need for the extra throttle tip-in in heavy traffioc or the longer shift times. That's not as evident in Sport as Sport+ but still there.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Ratz! That is not there, unless I'm doing it wrong, in the 2012 version of the software. There is no sport option setting in the menu or chasis/engine change option. Magnum - do you have the dynamic handling package in either car that may be where this feature comes from?

I wish there was a technical link we could send to BMW to ask what happened to it. Any thoughts or contact you all have to send a note and ask?

Maybe you had to add the ZDH package for 2012 to get that.

Thx
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Ratz! That is not there, unless I'm doing it wrong, in the 2012 version of the software. There is no sport option setting in the menu or chasis/engine change option. Magnum - do you have the dynamic handling package in either car that may be where this feature comes from?

I wish there was a technical link we could send to BMW to ask what happened to it. Any thoughts or contact you all have to send a note and ask?

Maybe you had to add the ZDH package for 2012 to get that.

Thx
No Dynamic Handling Package in either car. The 2010 doesn't even have the Sports Package, while the 2011 does, but both have the same three settings.

If the vehicles had the Dynamic Handling Package they would have a fourth selection, called comfort, plus additional suspension refinements. To quote: The package called the Dynamic Handling package will include adaptive drive, dynamic damper control, active roll stabilization and driving dynamics control. This option allows you to choose between comfort, normal, sport and sport + driving modes. " And you're right. You would have had to order ZDH to get the entire package:

Last edited by magnumforc; 11-18-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 AM

I've sent an email to BMW directly to see if I get an answer. It seems the chassis and engine settings were removed from teh 2012 software. I wonder if BMW even realizes that...

Wardman.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM

They do make mistakes...BMW programmed my 2011 xDrive with 2010 software as it was one of the first 2011's built. Man, did that cause problems. It took many months to find out, but when the new manual online didn't match the manual in the car, and the jDrive dash display didn't match the book, I knew something was rotten in Bavaria....
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM

You bring up a good point - I should check the manual in i-drive and see if it changed instead of the only one on line (2011).

Thx!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Per BMW - you only get the chassis and engine setting options with the ZSP now (sport package). Of course I told them this is silly, I want it back like on yours Magnum, and they said point taken and noted...

Oh well
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM

I agree with you. What will they do next...take away all the settings so all you have is "normal" because you didn't but a sport package. Geez!