Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 M6
E24 Lowering springs

Does anybody out there have a set of aftermarket sport springs they don't want.

I prefer a known brand that is slightly more firm than stock, with a 1-1.25" drop in front. My car is a 87 M6.

If you have something available, don't PM me, just post it on this section of the forum so that we can get some threads started.
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
not I

does yours have the auto level thing? I know some M6's had it just can't remember what years they did that
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM

My car had the SLS removed several years ago. It has the compatible BMW rear oe springs to match the front. I really only need front springs as I want to lower the front stance by about an 1". If I don't find a replacement spring that I like, I will probably cut my original spring down (1 coil) to get the look that I want.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

do not cut your springs lol that is soooo ghetto

I would recommend leaving it alone - they look great and are worth more money if they are not modified
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM

I'm sorry Brit, but I disagree with you on this one. We don't have ghettos where I live, so I have no reference to go by.

Lowering a E24 M6 in the front by 1" is a very minor amount considering that most aftermarket sport springs available lower it by 1.25 to 2.00 inches. In fact, I will still be able to use the Bilstein HDs that are currently on the car.

Most E24s that have had the SLS removed, have a slightly "nose high" look from the side view.

Now, back to that "Ghetto" thing..............

Jim Daniel
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
I'm sorry Brit, but I disagree with you on this one. We don't have ghettos where I live, so I have no reference to go by.

Lowering a E24 M6 in the front by 1" is a very minor amount considering that most aftermarket sport springs available lower it by 1.25 to 2.00 inches. In fact, I will still be able to use the Bilstein HDs that are currently on the car.

Most E24s that have had the SLS removed, have a slightly "nose high" look from the side view.

Jim Daniel
well around here all the wanna-be's cut their springs because they cannot afford to properly modify the suspension...and I am sure there are ghetto's in atlanta - there are ghetto's everywhere - don't succumb to cheap sh!t mod's dude you have a nice car treat it that way! I would save the pennies and get something nice that will last you

oh and save up for repair to the front air dam because you are probably going to start smacking it on every little curb and drive way once it is lowered lol - mine is not even lowered and it's nearly impossible to get through some stuff without a little scraping up there - the car is just long in the front...pretty annoying!

good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: e90 M3, e24 M6
Quote:

Jim Daniel
I have to agree with Brit on this one. Most sport springs can lower 1-2 inches both front and rear. Lowering by an inch in the front only is a significant change, and I think you'll find it really messes up the suspension dynamics. And part of the "nose high" issue is also on account of the fact that the proper ride height for the car is actually lower at the rear than the front. If you're going to do any lowering, get a proper spring/shock setup. By the way, Turner Motorsport offers a H&R/Bilstein sport package for the car for a great deal. I replaced my M6's SLS with it and have been more than happy.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Hey Guys and Girls:

I appreciate your suggestions and commentary. However, what I want to achieve has nothing to do with money or altering my front end geometry. This is my 3rd E24 in the last 10 years (my first M6). Installing aftermarket suspension setups on my previous 6's s (including the brands you mention) has given me plenty of experience and knowledge on what I want. The spring rates on the front of the M6 are fine, just 1" too tall for me.

The rear ride height is adjustabe by changing the lower spring perch plate height.

Lowering the front 1-1.25 inches does not alter the suspension geometry enough to be noticeable or relevant. A 2' inch lower stance, which I don't recommend for this car, does generally require a camber adjustment of some sort.

As far as the money issue, this car is one of 5 cars I own, including 2 late model Jags, an
09 Maserati, and a M-B Suv. They are all great cars, but I have a soft spot for older BMW's as I bought my first one in 1974 (a 2002) and have owned 17 BMW's since that time.

I love forums like this; BMW owners are usually passionate about their cars!

I would make a suggestion though; before you assume that somebody is trying to be cheap or inexperienced, make sure you know the person first.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
My car had the SLS removed several years ago. It has the compatible BMW rear oe springs to match the front. I really only need front springs as I want to lower the front stance by about an 1". If I don't find a replacement spring that I like, I will probably cut my original spring down (1 coil) to get the look that I want.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys and Girls:

I appreciate your suggestions and commentary. However, what I want to achieve has nothing to do with money or altering my front end geometry. This is my 3rd E24 in the last 10 years (my first M6). Installing aftermarket suspension setups on my previous 6's s (including the brands you mention) has given me plenty of experience and knowledge on what I want. The spring rates on the front of the M6 are fine, just 1" too tall for me.

The rear ride height is adjustabe by changing the lower spring perch plate height.

Lowering the front 1-1.25 inches does not alter the suspension geometry enough to be noticeable or relevant. A 2' inch lower stance, which I don't recommend for this car, does generally require a camber adjustment of some sort.

As far as the money issue, this car is one of 5 cars I own, including 2 late model Jags, an
09 Maserati, and a M-B Suv. They are all great cars, but I have a soft spot for older BMW's as I bought my first one in 1974 (a 2002) and have owned 17 BMW's since that time.

I would make a suggestion though; before you assume that somebody is trying to be cheap or inexperienced, make sure you know the person first.
I have more cars than you!

and I am only 27
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
It's ok Brit. It's just a bunch of n00bs.

imo save money and get real lowering suspension.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: e90 M3, e24 M6
Quote:
Hey Guys and Girls:

Wow, I don't really remember making any commentary on either you being cheap or inexperienced....simply adding my 2 cents based on my experiences. Knowing what kind of cars you have had and currently drive doesn't change my recommendation at all. Cutting an inch off of springs that only offer a few inches of travel will certainly have an impact on your setup, as well as alter the spring rate that you say is fine. But, as I tell anyone when they get bent out of shape on these forums, do what makes you happy. It's your car and you're the only one who has to drive it. Best of luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Wow, I don't really remember making any commentary on either you being cheap or inexperienced....simply adding my 2 cents based on my experiences. Knowing what kind of cars you have had and currently drive doesn't change my recommendation at all. Cutting an inch off of springs that only offer a few inches of travel will certainly have an impact on your setup, as well as alter the spring rate that you say is fine. But, as I tell anyone when they get bent out of shape on these forums, do what makes you happy. It's your car and you're the only one who has to drive it. Best of luck.
+1
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
haahaa its ok brit we know your right and know pretty much everything about cars!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
Quote:
Just spring for the BavAuto Sport Springs/Bilstein Sport Shock Kit. Hard to beat pricing for a complete lowering suspension kit. Don't forget to add in the camber plates. For a mere $800 US, you'll be set up good.
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1979 633csi
Quote:

I prefer a known brand that is slightly more firm than stock, with a 1-1.25" drop in front. My car is a 87 M6.

If you have something available, don't PM me, just post it on this section of the forum so that we can get some threads started.
Hi Dixie....Just reading old threads...I'm going to lower my 79 633csi....was thinking of your solution in cutting the front springs..only want a 1" lower front height as you did.....wondered if you did cut the springs, and by how much, and how it turned out once reinstalled in the car....ckester, seattle