Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM
dixiebimmer dixiebimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: atlanta, georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 1987 M6
E24 Lowering springs

Does anybody out there have a set of aftermarket sport springs they don't want.

I prefer a known brand that is slightly more firm than stock, with a 1-1.25" drop in front. My car is a 87 M6.

If you have something available, don't PM me, just post it on this section of the forum so that we can get some threads started.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
not I

does yours have the auto level thing? I know some M6's had it just can't remember what years they did that
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM
dixiebimmer dixiebimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: atlanta, georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 1987 M6
My car had the SLS removed several years ago. It has the compatible BMW rear oe springs to match the front. I really only need front springs as I want to lower the front stance by about an 1". If I don't find a replacement spring that I like, I will probably cut my original spring down (1 coil) to get the look that I want.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
do not cut your springs lol that is soooo ghetto

I would recommend leaving it alone - they look great and are worth more money if they are not modified
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
dixiebimmer dixiebimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: atlanta, georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 1987 M6
I'm sorry Brit, but I disagree with you on this one. We don't have ghettos where I live, so I have no reference to go by.

Lowering a E24 M6 in the front by 1" is a very minor amount considering that most aftermarket sport springs available lower it by 1.25 to 2.00 inches. In fact, I will still be able to use the Bilstein HDs that are currently on the car.

Most E24s that have had the SLS removed, have a slightly "nose high" look from the side view.

Now, back to that "Ghetto" thing..............

Jim Daniel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
I'm sorry Brit, but I disagree with you on this one. We don't have ghettos where I live, so I have no reference to go by.

Lowering a E24 M6 in the front by 1" is a very minor amount considering that most aftermarket sport springs available lower it by 1.25 to 2.00 inches. In fact, I will still be able to use the Bilstein HDs that are currently on the car.

Most E24s that have had the SLS removed, have a slightly "nose high" look from the side view.

Now, back to that "Ghetto" thing..............

Jim Daniel
well around here all the wanna-be's cut their springs because they cannot afford to properly modify the suspension...and I am sure there are ghetto's in atlanta - there are ghetto's everywhere - don't succumb to cheap sh!t mod's dude you have a nice car treat it that way! I would save the pennies and get something nice that will last you

oh and save up for repair to the front air dam because you are probably going to start smacking it on every little curb and drive way once it is lowered lol - mine is not even lowered and it's nearly impossible to get through some stuff without a little scraping up there - the car is just long in the front...pretty annoying!

good luck in whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
gthberg gthberg is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: e90 M3, e24 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
I'm sorry Brit, but I disagree with you on this one. We don't have ghettos where I live, so I have no reference to go by.

Lowering a E24 M6 in the front by 1" is a very minor amount considering that most aftermarket sport springs available lower it by 1.25 to 2.00 inches. In fact, I will still be able to use the Bilstein HDs that are currently on the car.

Most E24s that have had the SLS removed, have a slightly "nose high" look from the side view.

Now, back to that "Ghetto" thing..............

Jim Daniel
I have to agree with Brit on this one. Most sport springs can lower 1-2 inches both front and rear. Lowering by an inch in the front only is a significant change, and I think you'll find it really messes up the suspension dynamics. And part of the "nose high" issue is also on account of the fact that the proper ride height for the car is actually lower at the rear than the front. If you're going to do any lowering, get a proper spring/shock setup. By the way, Turner Motorsport offers a H&R/Bilstein sport package for the car for a great deal. I replaced my M6's SLS with it and have been more than happy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
dixiebimmer dixiebimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: atlanta, georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 1987 M6
Hey Guys and Girls:

I appreciate your suggestions and commentary. However, what I want to achieve has nothing to do with money or altering my front end geometry. This is my 3rd E24 in the last 10 years (my first M6). Installing aftermarket suspension setups on my previous 6's s (including the brands you mention) has given me plenty of experience and knowledge on what I want. The spring rates on the front of the M6 are fine, just 1" too tall for me.

The rear ride height is adjustabe by changing the lower spring perch plate height.

Lowering the front 1-1.25 inches does not alter the suspension geometry enough to be noticeable or relevant. A 2' inch lower stance, which I don't recommend for this car, does generally require a camber adjustment of some sort.

As far as the money issue, this car is one of 5 cars I own, including 2 late model Jags, an
09 Maserati, and a M-B Suv. They are all great cars, but I have a soft spot for older BMW's as I bought my first one in 1974 (a 2002) and have owned 17 BMW's since that time.

I love forums like this; BMW owners are usually passionate about their cars!

I would make a suggestion though; before you assume that somebody is trying to be cheap or inexperienced, make sure you know the person first.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
My car had the SLS removed several years ago. It has the compatible BMW rear oe springs to match the front. I really only need front springs as I want to lower the front stance by about an 1". If I don't find a replacement spring that I like, I will probably cut my original spring down (1 coil) to get the look that I want.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
Hey Guys and Girls:

I appreciate your suggestions and commentary. However, what I want to achieve has nothing to do with money or altering my front end geometry. This is my 3rd E24 in the last 10 years (my first M6). Installing aftermarket suspension setups on my previous 6's s (including the brands you mention) has given me plenty of experience and knowledge on what I want. The spring rates on the front of the M6 are fine, just 1" too tall for me.

The rear ride height is adjustabe by changing the lower spring perch plate height.

Lowering the front 1-1.25 inches does not alter the suspension geometry enough to be noticeable or relevant. A 2' inch lower stance, which I don't recommend for this car, does generally require a camber adjustment of some sort.

As far as the money issue, this car is one of 5 cars I own, including 2 late model Jags, an
09 Maserati, and a M-B Suv. They are all great cars, but I have a soft spot for older BMW's as I bought my first one in 1974 (a 2002) and have owned 17 BMW's since that time.

I love forums like this; BMW owners are usually passionate about their cars!

I would make a suggestion though; before you assume that somebody is trying to be cheap or inexperienced, make sure you know the person first.
I have more cars than you!

and I am only 27
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,450
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
It's ok Brit. It's just a bunch of n00bs.

imo save money and get real lowering suspension.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
gthberg gthberg is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: e90 M3, e24 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
Hey Guys and Girls:

I appreciate your suggestions and commentary. However, what I want to achieve has nothing to do with money or altering my front end geometry. This is my 3rd E24 in the last 10 years (my first M6). Installing aftermarket suspension setups on my previous 6's s (including the brands you mention) has given me plenty of experience and knowledge on what I want. The spring rates on the front of the M6 are fine, just 1" too tall for me.

The rear ride height is adjustabe by changing the lower spring perch plate height.

Lowering the front 1-1.25 inches does not alter the suspension geometry enough to be noticeable or relevant. A 2' inch lower stance, which I don't recommend for this car, does generally require a camber adjustment of some sort.

As far as the money issue, this car is one of 5 cars I own, including 2 late model Jags, an
09 Maserati, and a M-B Suv. They are all great cars, but I have a soft spot for older BMW's as I bought my first one in 1974 (a 2002) and have owned 17 BMW's since that time.

I love forums like this; BMW owners are usually passionate about their cars!

I would make a suggestion though; before you assume that somebody is trying to be cheap or inexperienced, make sure you know the person first.
Wow, I don't really remember making any commentary on either you being cheap or inexperienced....simply adding my 2 cents based on my experiences. Knowing what kind of cars you have had and currently drive doesn't change my recommendation at all. Cutting an inch off of springs that only offer a few inches of travel will certainly have an impact on your setup, as well as alter the spring rate that you say is fine. But, as I tell anyone when they get bent out of shape on these forums, do what makes you happy. It's your car and you're the only one who has to drive it. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
6 Brit 6 Brit is offline
Location: **** you
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,963
Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Wow, I don't really remember making any commentary on either you being cheap or inexperienced....simply adding my 2 cents based on my experiences. Knowing what kind of cars you have had and currently drive doesn't change my recommendation at all. Cutting an inch off of springs that only offer a few inches of travel will certainly have an impact on your setup, as well as alter the spring rate that you say is fine. But, as I tell anyone when they get bent out of shape on these forums, do what makes you happy. It's your car and you're the only one who has to drive it. Best of luck.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Missmodena310's Avatar
Missmodena310 Missmodena310 is offline
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*
Location: Space
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,275
Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
haahaa its ok brit we know your right and know pretty much everything about cars!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Roku35's Avatar
Roku35 Roku35 is offline
Full Blown Euro Addict
Location: 96821
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 154
Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
Does anybody out there have a set of aftermarket sport springs they don't want.
Just spring for the BavAuto Sport Springs/Bilstein Sport Shock Kit. Hard to beat pricing for a complete lowering suspension kit. Don't forget to add in the camber plates. For a mere $800 US, you'll be set up good.
__________________
Euro Trilogy
635CSi CR 5-Spds (Schwartz & Polaris Metallic )
628CSi Automatic (Zobelbraun Metallic)
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
ckester ckester is offline
Registered User
Location: Shoreline, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 1979 633csi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebimmer View Post
Does anybody out there have a set of aftermarket sport springs they don't want.

I prefer a known brand that is slightly more firm than stock, with a 1-1.25" drop in front. My car is a 87 M6.

If you have something available, don't PM me, just post it on this section of the forum so that we can get some threads started.
Hi Dixie....Just reading old threads...I'm going to lower my 79 633csi....was thinking of your solution in cutting the front springs..only want a 1" lower front height as you did.....wondered if you did cut the springs, and by how much, and how it turned out once reinstalled in the car....ckester, seattle
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms