Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I have to believe that the old adage is still true: the best performance gain on the track is to tighten the nut behind the wheel.

No way does a CF roof make more difference than another quality driving school. The roof's impact is miniscule if not unmeasurable. The driver's impact is massive.
I'd have to say that there are MANY more immediate and effective ways to save some weight than the roof when the car weighs as much as it does

Seems counterproductive (and an oxymoron) to have a CF roof on a car that weighs 3700 lbs, but maybe that's just me

My guess would be that you could save more than 40 lbs elsewhere easily to make up the difference, and maybe more (I know, weight reduction elsewhere isn't going be the "same" physics wise) - but for all intents and purposes..

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)

Last edited by 335i; 10-23-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
I'd have to say that there are MANY more immediate and effective ways to save some weight than the roof when the car weighs as much as it does

Seems counterproductive (and an oxymoron) to have a CF roof on a car that weighs 3700 lbs, but maybe that's just me

My guess would be that you could save more than 40 lbs elsewhere easily to make up the difference, and maybe more (I know, weight reduction elsewhere isn't going be the "same" physics wise) - but for all intents and purposes..
I believe the savings of CF vs steel roof is 7lbs. It's the sunroof that adds the rest. Of course, it would be remarkably unwise to order an E92 with steel roof and without sunroof, so the point is academic unless you're discussing E90 to E92 comparison.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
All this talk about weight is pointless unless you are planning to track the car. And if that's the case I would start with the driver.......a few HPDE's and less junk food. This will give you the skills you need and you have less weight in the car ..................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
All this talk about weight is pointless unless you are planning to track the car. And if that's the case I would start with the driver.......a few HPDE's and less junk food. This will give you the skills you need and you have less weight in the car ..................Phil
Even if you ARE going to track the car - SO WHAT if it had an extra 25lbs, even at the top? What difference will that make - 1/10th of a second per lap, from a PRO?

As you said, Ryder - tighten the nut behind the wheel first. Skip the guac and sour cream on the Chipotle lunch. Stop going biggie on the spicy chicken combo ...

:-)
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
I agree with you both - for track purposes, I suppose the CF roof will allow for more headroom with a helmet (it becomes a problem for some).

I still fail to see why BMW spent the money for a CF roof though, when the car weighs as much as it does

I'd rather see the money allocated to better brakes, exhaust, or a cheaper car in general though it's crazy fun on the track, but I can't help but think of the potential if the thing weighed 500lbs less

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: ED #2 Completed!
Even with negligible weight reduction from the CF roof, I still took it. I think it looks good and it's a unique part of the car. I also barely ever used the sunroof in my 335i so might as well just take the extra headroom.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Back seat delete will give you about 120lbs......drop the power seats, some of the electronics, smaller battery, pull the front passenger seat and delete the A/C.........now you have a home made CSL........Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM
First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by status38 View Post
Even with negligible weight reduction from the CF roof, I still took it. I think it looks good and it's a unique part of the car. I also barely ever used the sunroof in my 335i so might as well just take the extra headroom.
I'd do the same, for the same reasons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sincere
Mein Auto: 2011 E 90 M3 Sedan
I would go with the comp package because it is on 2500 dollars and the wheels alone will run you around 1250 dollars. You get the performance mapping, 3 different suspension settings, and the wheels for 2500 dollars is a great deal to me because you have the options there if you ever need them but hard to upgrade too.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM
First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere View Post
I would go with the comp package because it is on 2500 dollars and the wheels alone will run you around 1250 dollars. You get the performance mapping, 3 different suspension settings, and the wheels for 2500 dollars is a great deal to me because you have the options there if you ever need them but hard to upgrade too.
0.4" (10mm) lowered also.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlud View Post
Go competition and never look back! Love love love
GORGEOUS, my same car it looks like. What tint % did you go with?

BTW, I was thinking the comp package gave a wider wheel than the non-comp 19s, but it looks like the tread size is the same, is the wheel width also the exact same? Shux, I was hoping these wheels were wider for better traction.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I'd do the same, for the same reasons.

Me too!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Isn't the purpose of a "Competition Pack" to use on the track? And if you use it on the street, it's not that good a package - you should get the street package? Perhaps BMW needs a R/T package like Dodge - good for both Road and Track (I couldn't recall anything else that is promoted as being a road/track compromise).

Aside from the wheels, what is the effect of lowerin?. Haven't you just taken out the first 0.4" of suspension used to absorb bumps, and are relying on the remaining travel to do more work? You don't need that 0.4" on a smooth track, but how about on regular roads? It seems that all BMW did (from www.realoem.com) was change the struts - which in itself doesn't change the suspension geometry, correct? Perhaps I missed a spring change as well? If that 0.4" was unnecessary for the street, why did BMW design it that way in the first place? I would appreciate if someone could shed more knowledge can share.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 11-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4, 328xi Touring, M3
I do not plan to track the car, but weekend shopping trips across The alps from Switzerland into Italy are a part of my regular routine. No rally driving but I do enjoy driving precisely.

I am hoping that the reduced clearance is not going to be an issue.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I do not plan to track the car, but weekend shopping trips across The alps from Switzerland into Italy are a part of my regular routine. No rally driving but I do enjoy driving precisely.

I am hoping that the reduced clearance is not going to be an issue.
My take is that comp pkg is best suited to folks who, like me, are unlikely to modify their car, but who would like to track it a few times/year.

I like the slightly lowered stance, wider, nicer looking rims and the M dynamic mode so that I don't have to disable the electronic nanny completely for spirited track driving.

The manual recommends putting the suspension in sport mode when approaching driveways where clearance might be an issue, so it is firmer.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z4, 328xi Touring, M3
Thanks for the advice on the use of sport mode. I will make sure to follow that advice.