BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do you get rid of cigarette odor from a car?

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave 330i 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a BMW e60. I have found one car that I like. However, the previous owner smoked in the car. Is there any way of getting rid of the awful smell of cigarettes from the car's interior?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Clean Air

Detailers Domain (one of Bimmerfest sponsor) has a product called AQuartz Clean Air. It is a nano technology product that reacts in the presence of light and works well in cleaning out all sorts of odor. The only thing you need to be careful about it, is that it may fade dark surface. Check it out!!

#5 ·
Wad up a dryer sheet (Bounce) ad stuff in the ash tray.

It will absorb most odors. However, if the previous owner smoked a lot in the car, carpets/upholstery may need to be replaced to remove all the smoke damage.

#8 ·
Un-Duz-It - is a concentrated, professional quality formula that utilizes enzymes to digest the bacteria, it utilizes bio-enzymes ***8211; the complex organic substances formed in the living cells of plants and animals ***8211; as catalysts for the decomposition of organic-related odours and stains. -It is effective on all water-safe surfaces including carpets, rugs, drapes, upholstery, mattresses, wood, plastic, clothing, vinyl, trash containers, concrete, tile and more. TOTL

#10 ·
You need to get a good detailer that has a O Zone machine...He can do a detail on the inside this includes cleaning the air ducts with a chemical that eliminates the odors that are trapped in there, then run the O Zone machine over night and that should take 99.9% of the odor.

#11 · (Edited)
wash down entire interior with ammonia solution. Do a deep wet scrub of the carpet where smoke is absorbed and use a wet vac to pickup the water. Leave windows open forever and drive with the heater full blast. One day, the smell will be gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.