Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Question What is "High Guiding" describing in the navigation

I searched the WEB and this forum, but nothing specifically mentioned to describe what it really is that BMW is referring to with the words "High Guiding" and "lane guiding" in their navigation description; (I understand the lane guiding BTW, just need help with High Guiding) (i.e. how exactly does this feature work?)

BMW's Website Reads:
"Reach your destination quicker with the Professional navigation system. The 10.2-inch, high-resolution display provides detailed information for a more comprehensive overview of where you are heading.
The 3D map display allows you to see photo-realistic images of locations to provide orientation points on your journey. High Guiding and Lane Guiding are functions designed to make navigation in the city or on unclear road layouts a lot easier. The cockpit or Head-Up Display shows the exact street layout and the appropriate lane.

Destinations can be called up using the Voice Control function either from the address book or – by saying the place, street and number in one sentence."

Thanks in advance;
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Sounds like they are talking about the 3D perspective nav view.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
lane guiding shows an arrow on the lane you have to be to make the next turn/exit

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
lane guiding shows an arrow on the lane you have to be to make the next turn/exit
Thats if it knows the street your on or if its not trying to take you to China, before getting you to the newly opened local McDonalds.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Thats if it knows the street your on or if its not trying to take you to China, before getting you to the newly opened local McDonalds.
LOL
my nav acts funny, sometimes wants to change the return travel guidance

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
It looks like a feature where a picture of an intersection is displayed on the Heads-Up display in a sort of augmented reality. Here's a link and a picture:

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newvehi...p_display.html

Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
High Guiding can be summed up thus: If you think the BMW Nav system is acceptable, you must be high.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
Maybe its a typo and they meant Highway guiding? Sounds like the feature that displays, for a freeway exit, which lanes are valid for exit. It is quite helpful when going through unfamiliar cities, if that's what it means. I can't think of anything else that would be "High guiding".
Old 11-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
High error?
High cost?
High resolution?
High, not low guiding, so not getting in nasty naberhoods?
No tunneling?
Hhmm
High guiding as being in the map?

No idea really, most of the extra features do not work very well.
Not that you miss them, they are all meant as some; hoch gepreistes spielerei.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks Guys

I was afraid that there was no real answer - I'm not surpirsed however as a google search was dry also; with the exception on that same text from BMW shows up in like 200 + websites.. amazing that they didnt bother to actualy describe what the hell this is! I hope there is no too many more features like this

My guess would have been "high speed" or speed limit guidance; but thats only in Europe currently; anyways; If I get really bored; I'll BMW and ask them - its now something I really want to have an answer for (because I cant have it!)

tk
Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Wel lI got a response from BMW on this topic!

Here is there response;

"This is just a poor English translation.
• “high guiding” means the directional arrows that are typical of nav systems. (i.e. read it as a “high-level guidance”)
• “lane guiding” refers to our “ramp view”, which shows you exactly which lane to get into on an off ramp. (i.e. read it as a “detailed lane-level guidance”). This feature is particularly useful on ramps around 400/407, Airports, etc.

I’ll have our web colleagues look into alternate ways to communicate these features more clearly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 520SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
Wel lI got a response from BMW on this topic!

Here is there response;

"This is just a poor English translation.
• “high guiding” means the directional arrows that are typical of nav systems. (i.e. read it as a “high-level guidance”)
• “lane guiding” refers to our “ramp view”, which shows you exactly which lane to get into on an off ramp. (i.e. read it as a “detailed lane-level guidance”). This feature is particularly useful on ramps around 400/407, Airports, etc.

I’ll have our web colleagues look into alternate ways to communicate these features more clearly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."
Perhaps a more illuminating quote? Sounds a little more useful than the description above. Assuming it works of course and that the maps are better.

"High Guiding and 3D City Models.

For the purposes of actual route guidance, the familiar guiding function using arrows in the split screen has now been supplemented by a High Guiding variant, which clearly flashes up detailed navigation information in the multifunctional instrument cluster display, the central information display as well as the Head-Up Display.

High Guiding is automatically activated when the vehicle comes within a certain range of the next navigation instruction: from a distance of 300 metres outside built-up areas and 150 metres in built-up areas, the reduced arrow display switches to a detailed bird’s-eye perspective of the surrounding area.

The driver furthermore receives precise directions for changing lane at the right time. As the driver draws closer to the event, the display gradually shifts from the bird’s-eye map view to an overhead view of the traffic situation for optimum orientation and guidance. A dynamic display of the vehicle’s present position calculated in real time serves as an aid that allows drivers to closely track their progress throughout the turn-off phase.

The new navigation view option “3D City Models” features a realistic depiction of surrounding streets and buildings to help drivers get their bearings, provided such a visualisation of the city in question is stored in the vehicle’s database."
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
It looks like a feature where a picture of an intersection is displayed on the Heads-Up display in a sort of augmented reality. Here's a link and a picture:

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newvehi...p_display.html

The same information shows up on the split screen of navigation if for split screen content you check the "arrows" box.